• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

powerstroke programer?

97f250

got a 97 7.3l what is a good programer for around 500 buck.. i have the edge evolution it is cool adds alittle but seems to be messing with the truck hard start when it is cold (harder than normal) and i hate that i cant adjust on the fly.. what good is extreme power if you have to stop shut it off and takes ten min to tune it...

On a 97 from what I noticed trying 3 to 4 different brands is that they all yielded the same performance. Bottom line is that the 97 model years injectors cannot flow enough to get the big power so its pointless to get anything more that a towing program. Higher flowing injectors can be bought but then there is the issue of high EGTs and no factory intercooler. Get yourself a program/chip designed for towing, Tymar intake, aftermarket downpipe, gut the cat and you will be pretty happy. If you want more power than that plan on spending a descent chunk of change for injectors and a intercooler. If its an auto make sure the factory POS non flowing cooler has been upgraded also. Many auto trans have failed because of it. Any questions let me know, and good luck. Been here done that.:;

On a 97 from what I noticed trying 3 to 4 different brands is that they all yielded the same performance. Bottom line is that the 97 model years injectors cannot flow enough to get the big power so its pointless to get anything more that a towing program. Higher flowing injectors can be bought but then there is the issue of high EGTs and no factory intercooler. Get yourself a program/chip designed for towing, Tymar intake, aftermarket downpipe, gut the cat and you will be pretty happy. If you want more power than that plan on spending a descent chunk of change for injectors and a intercooler. If its an auto make sure the factory POS non flowing cooler has been upgraded also. Many auto trans have failed because of it. Any questions let me know, and good luck. Been here done that.:;

have a k&n intake and 4" msrp with no cat and hollowed muffler.. it is not bad would just like more of a on the fly programmer the edge you have to stop to program it that is my biggest bitch about it ..

have a k&n intake and 4" msrp with no cat and hollowed muffler.. it is not bad would just like more of a on the fly programmer the edge you have to stop to program it that is my biggest bitch about it ..

Stop? or put in neutral? Engines don't exactly like it when you drastically change timing while on the throttle.....

Ditch the edge (programmers are a joke on the obs powerstrokes), get some stage 1 injectors (140cc to 160cc, the stock 97 injectors are only 90cc and are a strangle point), an intercooler, and get a TW or similar custom burned 6 position chip.

On a 97 from what I noticed trying 3 to 4 different brands is that they all yielded the same performance. Bottom line is that the 97 model years injectors cannot flow enough to get the big power so its pointless to get anything more that a towing program.

There's been a buch of tech advances since you had your truck. Most of the OBS injectors flow more than the newer stuf too...

the black cloud looks pretty cool i looked into a pheniox and the wild man did nt find much on wild man tuner but the pheniox one for 800 buck is 16 stages but dont really need that many.. i dont mind having to stop nuetral to change i just hate how long the edge take to program and change setting.. i set in on tow most of the time and hate driving around on extreme.. dont need that to much allthe time.. know of any good wright ups on how to change that power valve in the tranny or any one did it ow hard is that..

im running custom tunes for my rig. "TWILDMAN" on a 4 position chip stock, economy, tow, and extreme. works well with the rest of my mods. i only use 2 of the positions though economy for everyday driving and tow mode for towing. im going to have it re-programed to have the stock position high idle. well worth the money and you can change on the fly i just make sure i let out of the throttle.
http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/

you plugging in your rig at night???

got a 97 7.3l what is a good programer for around 500 buck.. i have the edge evolution it is cool adds alittle but seems to be messing with the truck hard start when it is cold (harder than normal) and i hate that i cant adjust on the fly.. what good is extreme power if you have to stop shut it off and takes ten min to tune it...

Stop? or put in neutral? Engines don't exactly like it when you drastically change timing while on the throttle.....

with my edge for my 2000 f250 I have to cycle the key on and off and it takes a couple minutes to program it and the engine needs to be shut off.

ya i have to turn key on and off a bunvh to set it and ya i found pluggin it in helps alot but i just heard it is hard on the energy bill to do so.. it puts out a little white smoke when first starting up heard that is from the injectors going tits up..

ya i have to turn key on and off a bunvh to set it and ya i found pluggin it in helps alot but i just heard it is hard on the energy bill to do so.. it puts out a little white smoke when first starting up heard that is from the injectors going tits up..

check your glow plugs and glow plug relay. i had the same problems for the last 2 winters. last winter i replaced the glow plug relay and it got better but i bought my rig with 204k on it and did not know how long it was since GP's had been replaced. this winter it got worse and eventually completely gave up. so i had the glow plugs replace along with the valve cover gasket, 2 pig tails and under valve cover harnesses. all parts were shot but were easy to replace. if you find any bad parts i would suggest doing it your self dealer ships suck...

with the hard starts it will blow some white smoke. not necessarily bad injectors. i will post some links you can check out these sites for info as well. nwfordiesel.com, powerstrokenation.com, powerstroke.org

here is some good info in checking the gp relay.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41090&highlight=glow+plug

checking the gp's is easy. your pig tails going to your valve cover gaskets are 5 pin connectors. the outer pins are for the glow plugs 12v i believe. the pins just inside of the outer pins are the injector pins around 110v and the center pin is ground. with truck off and no power you can do a resistance check on the outer pins resistance should be low if i remember correct resistance should be less than 2 ohms. i will have to double check that though.

gp check link

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27553

oh and i stand corrected glow plug should read between .08 and 1.2 ohms from reading info again. the above link is for SUPER DUTY RIGS so remember that OBS trucks only have 5 pin connectors.

Last edited:
haha i tryed doing bussness with boyer he blew me off twice so.. thanks for the info on the glow plugs.. ya last year i had done the relay just for pm cause i heard they go bad and did not know the last time it had been changed.. the truck only has 138k on it.. proble 130k when the gp relay was done... i will check into it could use new gaskets arounf the vavle covers any ways..

haha i tryed doing bussness with boyer he blew me off twice so.. thanks for the info on the glow plugs.. ya last year i had done the relay just for pm cause i heard they go bad and did not know the last time it had been changed.. the truck only has 138k on it.. proble 130k when the gp relay was done... i will check into it could use new gaskets arounf the vavle covers any ways..

you may not need the gaskets as they are reusable. mine had 2 burnt pins so they needed replacing. i dont know much about the dp tuner but i like my chip and gauges.