• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project '84 Runner

PHILLBILLY1

A while back I had to sell my CJ7 to help get us by financially and have been out of the game for a while. I have been in california working up till about a few days ago. Just picked this bad boy up the other day.

List of what it came with:

*Built SB 350
*700R4
*NP208:puke:
*Full Dual exhaust w/ headman headers
*Worlds shittiest wiring job on the stereo....:looser: (cut, strip, twist, and tape....):haha:
*tubed bumpers
*4" lift

Plans are to put new shoes on it.(36" TSLs), put a 205 or Dana 300 in it, bigger axles, new bumpers, family cage, sliders, body armor, and to go have a blast wheelin with friends and family!!!

Time to start weeding through this mess and getting it trail ready.

Last edited:
A few pictures of it in it's current state:

84runner2.jpg

84runner.jpg

84runner3.jpg

Here it sits, in my driveway, waiting for the doctor to perform surgery....:redneck:
84runner1.jpg

So far, I have ripped every thread of stereo wiring out of it that someone installed. It was anything from appliance cords to telephone wire. :looser:
I am just glad that whoever did the stereo, didn't do anything else:awesomework:

The power steering pump bracket was broken off, so I also had to fix that issue. All good now:awesomework:

The bumpers are getting gone soon as well. We are going to build a rear bumper alot like the one that is on Rus's old 4runner. I loved that one.:awesomework: The front one is going too.

Wow I was wondering what happened to you.

Go for the 300. 205's gearing sucks unless your a big H.P. mudder. They don't make aftermarket gears for them anymore.

Hey Phil glad to see your back, it was kinda getting boring just harassing Oly!!:cheer:

Yep:redneck:

I have been down in Orange County for a while, came home for a few days then got shipped to Fresno for a little bit.......I should be home for a little while now before I get sent away again.

Don't they have computers down there??? :fawkdancesmiley:
Or is that not 'green' enough for Cali??? :D
Welcome back Phill! :cheer: Looks like a good start...:awesomework:

He has a np241 I am sure. It has a slip yoke in the tcase and its all aluminum. I vote d300 aswell:awesomework:
Sounds more like the correct combo there.

Aluminum would make it a 208 or 241 for sure.

Thought you were in prison or sumthin phil? :redneck:

Hey Phil glad to see your back, it was kinda getting boring just harassing Oly!!:cheer:

Harass away my friend:D

Don't they have computers down there??? :fawkdancesmiley:
Or is that not 'green' enough for Cali??? :D
Welcome back Phill! :cheer: Looks like a good start...:awesomework:

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, I was working anywhere from 75-90 hours a week down there. Hardly enough time to even sleep before going back to work. Seems like we are back on our feet again now, so I hope this project wil stick around for a while:redneck:
Damn dude....thought you died or something. How you been?

Been well, just working my life away. Tried getting steady work through the winter and ended up staying down there for alot longer than expected. Hopefully I can catch some of you on the trails now and have some well deserved beers with ya:awesomework:

Sounds more like the correct combo there.

Aluminum would make it a 208 or 241 for sure.

Thought you were in prison or sumthin phil? :redneck:

No, no prison....seemed like it sometimes though:redneck: Let me tell ya, Fresno is GHETTO! Hollywood....GHETTO! California......GHETTO!:haha:

Got busy tonight. Met up with Lord Helmet today and scored a nice set of TSL's for my Runner. I must say, it made a world of a difference!! It isn't really far off from being a capable rig right now. Some minor things to work out, but otherwise ready for some action.:awesomework:

Thanks again Vitas(hope I speeled it right):awesomework::beer:
See ya on the trails:hi:

Little Teaser shot:

84runner4.jpg

Got a little accomplished today. Dispite having my rig broke into, I moved forward with the build. Got all the tires swapped over and mounted up. The hood latch didn't work for **** when I got it, so I went the lazy route and installed a set of hood pins. Should add about 32.5 H.P.:redneck: Here is what's left of my GPS......
84runner5.jpg

84runner8.jpg

84runner6.jpg

84runner7.jpg

84runner9.jpg

We are going to build a rear bumper alot like the one that is on Rus's old 4runner. I loved that one.:awesomework:

Hey Phil, glad to hear you're doing well and back in the state! Dude, that bumper was killer! I'm trying to figure out how to do a simpler version for my new whip. When we get our rides done we'll have to go wheelin.:awesomework:

Took the top off today and cruised around with the Fam. Somehow managed to find a pretty muddy area and opened her up a little.:redneck: I thought I had a mess to clean before.......:haha:

84runner01.jpg

The only issue I had, was after we were done playin, it got pretty hot. It was spittin coolant out of the overflow tank pretty good. I cooled it down and topped of the coolant, and everything seems fine. First time it has ever shown any sign of this. I did notice that the electric fan is on the outside of the radiator and it is setup as a draw-through. Just curious, should it be reversed so the fan is blowing air through the radiator or maybe I need a bigger fan???

I did notice that the electric fan is on the outside of the radiator and it is setup as a draw-through. Just curious, should it be reversed so the fan is blowing air through the radiator or maybe I need a bigger fan???

If it's outside the rad (between it and the grill, I would think it should be blowing air into the rad (pusher fan)....

If it's outside the rad (between it and the grill, I would think it should be blowing air into the rad (pusher fan)....

Thanks Kev! That is where I was leaning towards, and I even switched the polarity of the fan tonight. I hope that cures the problem. It never gave me an issue until I was down in the mud hole fartin around.:D