• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane systems

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
I will have to admit I know nothing on what parts are involved in this system. I am also not looking to doing one but can somebody give some details on what parts are involved and what each part does? This question seems to pop up alot and would be nice to have the info here(maybe somebody can do a good write up for me with lots of detailed pics too :redneck: )

I would also like to know how important compression is. Can you throw propane on a stock engine and get usable results, or do you need to tear the engine apart too? By usable, I mean reasonably powerful, and definately still have good throttle response.

I am very interested in doing a propane conversion on my 20R but like crash i am a little in the dark. Can someone do a search on Pirate for a good propane conversion thread and post a link or something. I would do it myself but i cant search anymore :wtf: .

CrustyJeep said:
I would also like to know how important compression is. Can you throw propane on a stock engine and get usable results, or do you need to tear the engine apart too? By usable, I mean reasonably powerful, and definately still have good throttle response.

From what i have read, you loose about 10% of your power when you switch to propane. Along with this, i hear that 13 gallons of propane = about 10 gallons of gas when you start talking about fuel mileage.

zig80toy said:
I am very interested in doing a propane conversion on my 20R but like crash i am a little in the dark. Can someone do a search on Pirate for a good propane conversion thread and post a link or something. I would do it myself but i cant search anymore :wtf: .

SCREW POR.. there are alot of locals who have done this....

propane has an octane rating of about 110. you can raise the compression of your motor quite a bit to compensate for propane being a little less powerful. Im thinking that if you had like 12 to 1 compression in a propane engine it might be even more powerful than a gas engine with 9 to 1 compression.

zig80toy said:
propane has an octane rating of about 110. you can raise the compression of your motor quite a bit to compensate for propane being a little less powerful. Im thinking that if you had like 12 to 1 compression in a propane engine it might be even more powerful than a gas engine with 9 to 1 compression.

stock engine yes.. power loss no

The only experience I have with a propane system is a dragster. I drove one at Atlanta's Speedway. From what I was told its pretty much a bolt on. Bolt on the injector/carb (whatever you call it) run gas lines to the propane tank and reset the timing. (+15*???)

zig80toy said:

This might be total bs. but i am very interested in running propane. i want to hear what you guys think.

you guys are killin me..

a basic system consists of a Mixer ( like a carb ) and a regulator ( circulates hot water and changes liquid to gas) and a lock off device that turns propane on to start engine. so

tank to lockoff to regulator to mixer..

now to make things sound simple let use a holley carb replacment, unbolt butterfliy baseplate from bottom of carb. and bolt on impco 425 mixer and put back on engine. run 1" vapor hose from mixer to regulator. from reg to lockoff run propane line. from lockoff to tank run line. hook up a vacum line to lockoff which turns on propane.. your done.. turn key and start engine, roll vehicle on top. make sure to turn motor off before oil starvation..

simple

myth on power loss

people use to bolt mixers on top of carb so you can run gas or propane. this was the air flow restriction that gave you a 10% loss.

now eliminate carb and bolt mixer right to engine and it doesnt have restriction. Propane is a lot more efficent than carburation. it enters engine as a gas and doesnt atomize like a gas engine needs to.

propane is 1/2 the weight per gallon as fuel

it is true you will use more propane than gas about 10 gas = 13 propane

in a toyota you will run all weekend on a single forklift tank

common size forklift tanks hold 7.5 gallons or 9.5 gallons for the larger less common size

anything else?

what sort of mixer do you run on a 20R? how many choices are there? I hear the impco 225 works but how hard is it to mount to a 20R intake manifold?

Crash, I will post picks of my duel setup mounted to my blower. and also a single setup next week

zig80toy said:
what sort of mixer do you run on a 20R? how many choices are there? I hear the impco 225 works but how hard is it to mount to a 20R intake manifold?

take base plate off your carb and make a aluminum adaper.. not real complicated basically to adapt screww holes

a 225 would work a little large but with a diaphram setup it will only give your engine what it can handle

good prices here

http://www.propaneguy.com/

roccrawler, thanks for the info man. :cheer:
I guess my biggest problem is just making the jump and buying all the stuff. I dont want to buy something and then find out it doesnt work for my setup. and the kits at gotpropane are way to expensive. thanks for the like to propaneguy. i did get more info there, however to a propane rookie, is website is kinda confusing.

roccrawler said:
Crash, I will post picks of my duel setup mounted to my blower. and also a single setup next week

COOL TROY.

A pic is worth a thousand words and even more so on the net...

Maybe we sould combine the 2 threads/weed out the BS once you get pics..

zig80toy said:
roccrawler, thanks for the info man. :cheer:
I guess my biggest problem is just making the jump and buying all the stuff. I dont want to buy something and then find out it doesnt work for my setup. and the kits at gotpropane are way to expensive. thanks for the like to propaneguy. i did get more info there, however to a propane rookie, is website is kinda confusing.

I think he has a setup for about 300 bucks that would work for ya

roccrawler said:
I think he has a setup for about 300 bucks that would work for ya

funny you mention that. i emailed him and he told me it was going to be a little over $600 for a kit. not including tank :wtf:

Latest posts