• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane systems

Correction: roy hill said it would cost between $415 on up to $620 for the kit with the 225 mixer in it... so i guess it could be less than $600.

this is no myth about power loss but it's not 10 percent loss it's 20 percent. this is why. as propane enters the the engine it's a vapor. this displaces oxygen. you could recover some ofyour loss by polishing the intake and cyl. head runners to a mirror finish. the propane has 28 percent less energy than gas as compared gal for gal. 1gal of propane has 92,000 btu's of energy. gas has 126,000 btu's of energy per gal..

this is correct about ignition timing. lose the vacuum advance and put everything mechanical as you drop timing the more throttle you give. increase compression ratio as this fuel is 105 octane. no more than 11:1 as you will create problems.

Last edited:
zig80toy said:
Correction: roy hill said it would cost between $415 on up to $620 for the kit with the 225 mixer in it... so i guess it could be less than $600.

he advertises a set up with a 225 impco for 300.. he like to sell ya more though:D

4link said:
this is no myth. it's not 10 percent loss it's 20 percent. this is why. as propane enters the the engine it's a vapor. this displaces oxygen.

I thought/was told, it mixes better with the air and therefore gives you a more complete combustion. No?

roccrawler said:
Hows your propane set up comin 4 link.. ohh you dont have one and have never run it

Probly never even seen one

:flipoff: :stirpot:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it's funny that you can't admit your wrong. don't spout poor information if you really don't know.:flipoff: if your's runs perfect why change it? who told you to change it.:redneck: you don't know what i have or what i will run. just wait. besides i've probably forgot more than you know.:flipoff:

Ok guys--put your weinies back in your pants and lets get down to the good stuff here--origional purpose of this thread...

the stuff really does work good, I dont feel you will even notice a loss especially with how much better its gonna run all around.

Let me know if you need any help

Last edited:
Now isn't it true though that you don't wanna run propane on a brand new motor --even more so with chromolly rings?

zig80toy said:
I thought/was told, it mixes better with the air and therefore gives you a more complete combustion. No?

you are correct. it does mix with air better, but as it is a vapor it takes place of oxygen as it enters the engine. besides it does'nt carry the same amount of energy as gas.

this is a good system and works well offroad. it's a good alternative to fuel injection as most systems don't have electronics... oh, ya am i chuckling. it's sad that a 16 yo knows more than you.:flipoff:

Last edited:
Since your carburated motor probably wouldn't be tuned to perfection (carburator) and a propane carb is, It is doubtful that you would ever notice enough difference in power to feel it in the seat of your pants. You aren't building a race car, you're building a trail rig. You'll still have enough power to break stuff whenever you want to...... Always go for function first and power second. 400 hp doesn't do a damn bit of good if you can't get it to idle on the trail. A smooth, average power engine is always the key if everything else is working properly.

crash said:
Now isn't it true though that you don't wanna run propane on a brand new motor --even more so with chromolly rings?

you are very correct. propane does not enter as a liquid. therefor no cyl. wash, as is needed to seat rings. on a new engine you break in using gas then switch to propane. there is very little wear on a propane fueled engine.

this is why troy's still burns oil.:rolleyes:

mine burns zero oil .. not sure your resources

nor does it even smoke, The rings seem to have set fine and I do run chromoloy,

my knowledge is just experience. I'm sure you can search the web and hear bad things along with good

roccrawler said:
Since your carburated motor probably wouldn't be tuned to perfection (carburator) and a propane carb is, It is doubtful that you would ever notice enough difference in power to feel it in the seat of your pants. You aren't building a race car, you're building a trail rig. You'll still have enough power to break stuff whenever you want to...... Always go for function first and power second. 400 hp doesn't do a damn bit of good if you can't get it to idle on the trail. A smooth, average power engine is always the key if everything else is working properly.

ok, explain something to me!!! i don't understand. why are they tuned to perfection? they are not. lets see what experience has taught you.:rolleyes:

Lets please keep this post on subject, and not a debate... If you have useful info please post it

Thanks

roccrawler said:
Lets please keep this post on subject, and not a debate... If you have useful info please post it

Thanks

ok, so i take it you don't know. well there is different cones for different applications. rich cones,lean cones, digester gas cones ( a form of natural gas). so a 425 has about seven different cones and 225 has about 10 different cones. that's like saying that since you put a carb on it mixes perfect. but i'm sure you already knew that:rolleyes:

roccrawler said:

Yeah, but i want to drive it on the street too. I have a 22/20R which has pretty good power, but not enough that i can give some up. I guess i will have to though.

zig80toy said:
Yeah, but i want to drive it on the street too. I have a 22/20R which has pretty good power, but not enough that i can give some up. I guess i will have to though.

If its a street vehicle it has to be registered in this state as a propane vehicle, then there are tighter restrictions, I dont know all the details,,

or dont worry about it :redneck: but I didnt say that