• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Radial tire comparison.... which do you all think is the best

I've been pretty happy with the Procomp X-Treme MTR on my SJ compared to the old BFG MTR's that I had on before. Much thicker side walls, but they take a bit less air to get traction.

KM2s which i dont brag about, still feeling them out. kinda wish i went original KMs.
and the YJ has LTBs. They look mean, but actually work worse than a radial without having beadlocks.
I'm runnin 35x12.5 LTB's, and although abit narrower than I thought I'd like, I am extremely happy with their performance!:awesomework: Hands down better than the 35x12.5 BFG KM's I had before...
if they made LTB's int he size i want.. thats what i'd run.
:awesomework:

i have seen the 34" LTB perform well no beadlocks and on an IFS F/R locked Yota

Double ditto...seen em run on many different rigs with excellent results...tough as nails.:awesomework:

I replaced one of mine aswell before going back to swampers.:beer:

Them damn radial mud tires CHUCK more rocks at your rig than any bias knobby Ive ever ran. Just with 33x12.50 bfg mudders I learned not to drive with my arm hangin out the window anymore, OUCH!:mad:

If interested I have a nice set of five 33x12.5x15 bfg mudders on nice weld typhoons. Sweet road hazzard warranty too.:corn:

price????

I would love to go with the Iroks, but I heard they don't do very well on wet roads when aired up for on-road driving. Also, the pricing on the Iroks is currently turning me away due to a limited budget ($350 and up is a bit extreme for a single tire). So far from what I have read, it appears as though the Goodyear MTR would be the better overall choice?

I would love to go with the Iroks, but I heard they don't do very well on wet roads when aired up for on-road driving. Also, the pricing on the Iroks is currently turning me away due to a limited budget ($350 and up is a bit extreme for a single tire). So far from what I have read, it appears as though the Goodyear MTR would be the better overall choice?
size for size...arent the MTR's more expensive?

I am on my second set of SSR's, went 5 years of pretty hard wheeling before punching a side wall then did 2 in 3 months. They handle well on the road and work pretty well off road, not as well as an Irok but well enough.

Hi All:

I'd vote for the IROK radials. :awesomework:

A buddy of mine has been running these on his Land Cruiser that is both a 'wheeler and a daily driver. These tires have performed fine on the street and awesome on the trail! :beer:

I've run BFG MTs in the past and though I think they are a good, general purpose off-road tire the sidewalls are not the strongest; after tearing-out two sidewalls I've switched to TSL bias-ply tires. :D

Regards,

Alan

Here's my $0.02,

I have a set of KM2's (35x12.50R15) on my truck. It's a '98 K1500 that is my DD but I do take it offroad, mainly mountain roads and some snow wheelin'.

Now for my opinion on the tires. I love them. They are fairly quiet and perform great in the snow/ice and mountain road type terrain.

If the main purpose of these tires is offroad use then I think you should buy a tire more specific for that use. Examples: LTB's, IROK's, Swampers....

I have heard quite a few bad things about the KM2's... expecially on a heavier street rig they apparently don't last long at all.

I was very happy w/ my Pro Comp XTerrains, but you need to groove them to have them work well in the snow.

Can you even get REGULAR MTR's anymore?

IROK Radials wear out too fast, so if your on a budget and don't want to buy tires very often, don't get those.

It really is a loose loose situation... if you want a tire that will do good on the street and last a while, you are going to sacrifice some off-road ability.

If you want a tough tire that does great off road, get a good bias ply (Irok, Pit Bull, Etc...) but don't bitch when they are bald in 9,000 miles of street driving.

honestly how much time will you be really going offroad? that should be your number one factor in determining which tire is best for you.

50/50 is a lot of offroad. where do you really stand?

talking about mud terrains km/ km2, and Iroks/Rockers is like apples and oranges.

if you plan driving daily and plan on going offroad when camping, and fire service roads, and when it snows, get some bfg mud terrains KM not the KM2.:awesomework:

If you go offroad 50/50 or more for real. get some Iroks, or Rockers, or some Krawlers :awesomework:

Last edited:
A while ago I created a post regarding going bias or radial and after reading what everyone said, I believe for what I plan on using my Toyota for that a Radial would better fit what I need. What I am now having difficulty with is making the decision as to which radial I should go with. I am looking for tires in the 35-37" by 12.5-13.5 on 15's or 16's (preferrably 15's) range. The main ones I am compairing are as follows:

1. Mickey Thompson MTZ
2. BFG KM2's
3. MTR's
4. MTR w/Kevlar
5. SSR's
6. Procomp X-Terrain

(FYI I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt not interested in the Toyo, so please do not recommend that tire to me)

What I am hoping to receive from this post is people's personal experiences with each of the above tires and what you think of them.

I am planning on doing 20-40% of "on-road" drive and 60-80% "off-road".

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.

Just curious. Why the sour note on the toyos :eeek:

Pokey, my guess is how ridiculously stiff their sidewalls are.

But the tires I'd like to suggest are the Cooper S/T's or the STT's. The S/T's if you're leaning harder towards the street side.

id take a look at the new kuhmo mt's. but i do like my 35 bfg mts havent had any problem. and the discount tire warranty is awesome for the wheelers