• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reiter Stories

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
I have always found these kinds of threads always have a tendacy to lighten the mood. Lets hear your story be it scarey, fun, miserable or just very memoriable. When I get a chance I will tell a few of mine.

Post Whoring aside,

I remember going up there in my S-10 STOCK and being asked if it was 2wd on numerous occasions and I quote..."You're taking THAT thing with us?!?!":haha:

Hopefully it will still be open this weekend............... Saturday will be a very sad day for me wheeling reiter :booo:

First time out... Horus and some others wanted to go do BYS in the middle of the night (this was the BBQ NW-wheelers run '07) .. anyway, we get out there, and don't make it too far. It took us about an hour or so to make it to the big log, and at that point we started breaking...

11:30pm.. someone breaks a bead on the XJ. replaces it with spare
12:00pm.. same person breaks ANOTHER bead.. its stuck in the mud, so we have to get it yanked out
1:00am... trying to light the tire on fire to get the bead, almost blow off some hairs in the process.
1:15am.. as we're having issues still getting the tire on, other guys are towing back the broken XJ and BOOM the CJ's winch behind goes right through the window of the XJ!
1:45am... we finally have the XJ up and turned around with the bead on
2:00am... almost flop trying to go around that first off-camber corner.

Oh btw, this was the first time I ever was at reiter, and the first time I actually went wheeling with a capable rig ('79 yota). The day after was a blast, but we didn't get back to the rock garden until around 2:30am!

I remember meeting Gibby for the first time up there and he had truck condoms. Scratching that beautiful 4runner was out of the question.:haha::haha:

That sure changed:kiss:

Back in 2000 I had to leave my truck for the night. Sunk it in the swamp coming back from lunch at the wall. While we were there, it started raining. 2hrs later it had rained so much the water level had risen a good foot. It was very cold and wet. Sun had gone down. My friend Wes, sunk his ranger trying to get me out and broke a front hub. Wound up leaving his truck as well.

Few hours go by. We're soaked from swimming in the swamp and very cold. We see lights. It's this big red K-5 with a winch! And a lil blue Toyota 4x4 (with the worst rod knock you've ever heard) So we think we're saved... Not so much. These guys were wasted drunk. The K-5 decides he can make it through the "deep" part of the swamp and quickly sinks his rig. Sucks a bunch of water in to the tranny and fries his alternator. All in about 5 mins. The whole while we are yelling at him to stop and not go that way!

So now the 1st gen yota with a horrible rod knock is yanking this K-5 out of the swamp with a full throttle assault. (rod knock gets even louder) Somehow he gets it unstuck.

So now we all pile into the K-5 and the yota. Traveling through the deep mud hole section back to the main fire road the somehow the k-5 loses it's brakes. So once we start heading downhill the Yota has to hook up to the back of the Blazer to act as the brakes. All with a full load of my friends inside and a drunken stranger at the wheel. Running on a worn out battery with the lights getting dimmer and dimmer. finally made it low enough for cell service and had the GF come pick us up.

3 and a half hours of sleep later Wes and I headed back up Bought some hip-waders on the way and sat in the lower lot looking for someone who would have a capable enough rig to help us out of our jam. We found Brian. From Olympic offroad. I'm sure some of you remember/know him. I haven't seen him in a long time but for a few years running he was there every weekend. He was glad to help. Brian pulled us out in no time at all. Made it look easy in fact. I put the first dent in my truck that day. That was when I wheeled my daily driver. I learned a lot that day/night and it is a experience that I will never forget.

HA! Taking my bone stock frontier all the way up to the bridge on lake isabelle, 235.75r15 BFG TA's, no skids, no lockers, nothing. Pulling over to the side so others could pass, and having a couple cats in big sheeps...excuse me, jeeps ask me how the hell I got up there. I just laughed. :flipoff:

Many years ago.. I was playing in the big mud hole under the powerlines(one to the left on the way to izzy) and I swamped it out big time (fot water in the cab). I came home and gutted the interior(was full sheetmetal still). So around 8 I get a call--somebody (forget who) was stuck at the very top of izzy with 2 broken birfs on a stump at a corner(old slide area).

So I throw a driver seat in it and head up. Now granted when I was in the mud hole I must have damaged the motor because it was knocking. Well I made it to where he was stuck after dark and I could not drive past him on the corner to get him unstuck due to his position. Well I ended up having to winch up past him smacking my bed against his rig. At this point I was able to position myself to pull him off the stump and we headed down...

Few years back another case of somebody alone and getting into trouble.

Heading up torwards the wall in the snow and found a jeep truck stuck on a mound in the pit on the right heading up. Investigated and nobody was there. On the way up a coupl were walking--askd if they needed help and they told me how they blew a tranny line in there jeep and was stuck (they were heading up to a guy who was plowing the snow). I told them on my way back down I would lend a hand if they need it.

Well I head back down and there the jeep sits on its side next to the mound with the couple standing there.

I ask if they need a hand and they say yes. So I position myself and start winching(you could see gas leaking out the carb). well while it was uprighting the battery must have been loose because there was a spark and boom--whole thing went up. All I could do was undo my winch and watch my strap burn. I grabbed my exhingisher and that didn't do a thing.

So I called 911 and reported it and could hear the sirens. Well by the time they got there everything that could burn did--talk about helplessness.

The couple called somebody to get them and I waited. Not a word was said to me and they drove off. The rig was hauled out the next day.

Thats funny^^^. You reminded me, I did sink my truck in one of the mud holes and had to peel out the interior, took me about six hours to clean.

I remember back in 94' I went up with the snort group and we spent all day opening up the origional landslide on the top of izzy. Back when dana swanson used to wheel alot. Man alot of guys who have dissapeared used to wheel alot back then. I also remember Dana blowing a birf on something thats really nothing big to todays standards.

:haha::haha: I bet everyone who has been to Reiter has stories like these. Good thread. I hope I get to read more of'em.

Last edited:
I've only been to Reiter three times, and they all were memorable in their own right...but this spring, our club planned a campout---met a bunch of cool people...Allen (86runner) met up with us, and camped as well)...Got to see D Flop his buggy 15 minutes into it's maiden voyage, and help right it..."the skeeter killer" it was dubiously named!:redneck: The other memorable trip that weekend was when Mike (Crash) and Kelly (bigiron) met up with a few of us at camp, took us out Grumpy's (where 2bucu and a couple others hooked up with us!) then to the Wall,---Very cool lil trails, and what a view from the lookout!! (heard a few stories about the area as well!:awesomework:)---We all got ready to head back, and suddenly Mr bigiron was in a bit of a pickle; the front ram mount broke off his housing!!:yikes: We managed to get it somewhat cobbled back on enough to get him outta there (thanks to mike's readywelder...), and on his way out helped a couple stockish yotas and a Bronco (IIRC) get unstuck in the trees! (Way to go man-hindered truck and all)
All in all was a great weekend that I will never forget, and met a bunch of people I will always consider friends!!!:awesomework::cool:

Last edited:
I remember a run many years back with Crash and Laura. It had been raining hard for a while and that day we went out was no exception.

While going up the power lines, Laura and crash took one route, I took another and ran in to a couple with a tiny winch in a red jeep half slid off the trail and not a long way off from rolling in to the trees.

I went around to the upper line to string their winch out and anchor it just to discover their winch was grossly undersized for their jeep. About that time crash and laura came back, and dixon? and a few others showed up. A very wet hour later we had them out and heading home.

We continued up to Index wall, crossed the small creek, only it was 2+' deep that day, white caps, and muddy. On the way back, I was in the back, they crossed, I started crossing and the now river picked me up and floated me down stream a good bit before the tires landed and I could drive back up the middle of the river to get out.

Soo many more stories from there.

driving the original road to the wall back in the early 80's. I got a little water inside the cab of my 82 chev but could make it in a stock pickup no problem.

i got a few storied but the one that stands out the most was went in the wall trail made it all the way in and started to head back through my alternator ended up crapping out as soon as we started back had to get pulled out all the way from the back to the main road where after waiting just a bit of time i had a new alt ready to go in thanks to my dad and my other truck i was building at the time.

Latest posts