• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build

Re: Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build

I can't get my truck to run, much less idle. I've messed with it all week and still can't get anything. :dunno:

It will run if I hold about 3/4 throttle, but it's very rough running. RPMs won't climb. Nothing. It'll just barely stay running. I've tried messing with the timing and propane mixture(big screw on mixer) while it was running and can't get any real improvement.

It's getting spark. Put in new plugs, distributor cap, etc. Checked power to the coil and each plug wire.

It's getting fuel. Solenoid works. It's getting a prime at the regulator. No leaks that I can find. Tank is half full.

Timing is set about 12-14*.. May not be perfect, but it should run. I've backed it down to 8-10 and still got nothing.

The diaphragm in the mixer and regulator is good. I checked both.

Coolant is flowing through the regulator. So it shouldn't be freezing up.

After all this, I thought it was vacuum related. But I can't really find a leak. The vacuum line is ran from the front, outermost, port on the distributor to the front port of the carb base. The other port on the carb base is plugged. The other port on the distributor is open. All other ports have been closed off with plugs or capped besides the brake booster and it ain't leaking either.

I pulled the mixer and carb base apart yesterday and resealed everything with new gaskets and new silicone (not RTV) and didn't mess with it till today so it'd have time to cure, to no avail..

Any help is appreciated.

Also, what is the factory setting for the idle mixture screw on the mixer?

Re: Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build

If you've got fuel, spark, and air the only other thing you need is compression. Have you checked that?

Re: Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build *need propane help*

No I need to I guess, buts it doesn't seem like a compression problem..

It still seems like a vacuum/fuel problem. I just wonder if the diaphragm is messed up and I can't tell.. I've been talkin to Carry and I think I'm gonna send the mixer in. I did have have an intake side backfire, but I checked and everything looked okay.

Re:

Have you tried ether /carb cleaner around the intake/mixer when it's running? That can help tell if it's got a vac leak.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I will tell you from experience you cannot look at a diaphragm and tell if it's ok, my rig did the exact same thing out of the blue one day. Everybody kept saying it was the diaphragm at the vaporizer, but it wasn't pulling vacuum to suck the fuel through from the vaporizer to the intake and after talking to Buddy at AltFuels, I ordered a new diaphragm for the mixer, put it in, crunk right up, idled perfect, problem fixed. If you've tried everything else, that sounds like your problem. Those diaphragms have very little tolerance between working just fine and a little too stretched/flimsy to work properly any more. I disassembled my entire propane system, vaporizer, mixer, inline filter, hoses and all, and got nothing visually....but all it needed was a new mixer diaphragm. There wasn't any holes or anything in it, it had just worked for so long, it lost it's shape and no longer functioned properly. Good luck!

Re:

What all parts are you using? Got a pic of your setup?

If you can purge the fuel from your reg, when it's running that'll narrow on the fuel issue. That'll bypass the reg and send a burst of fuel. If the engine can't handle it, might be an ign issue.

When you checked spark at the plug, was it blue/white or orange/yellow. What gap on the plugs?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don't waste time and money sending the mixer in, there's nothing to the mixer than you can't see yourself. It's a VERY simple mechanism. Based off your details, it sounds like the exact same problem I had. No more than they cost, I wish I had just ordered a diaphragm sooner instead of putting it off trying to find a visual flaw in the system and stressing for a few extra days troubleshooting. Worst case scenerio, you end up with a $30-$40 new diaphragm, one less part you'll have to worry about failing in the future. I'd nearly bet money that's your problem though.

Buddy Gamel is the man, call him and tell him which mixer you got and he can have you one on the way.

http://www.alternatefuel.com/

Re: Re: Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build *need propane help*

TacomaJD said:
I will tell you from experience you cannot look at a diaphragm and tell if it's ok, my rig did the exact same thing out of the blue one day. Everybody kept saying it was the diaphragm at the vaporizer, but it wasn't pulling vacuum to suck the fuel through from the vaporizer to the intake and after talking to Buddy at AltFuels, I ordered a new diaphragm for the mixer, put it in, crunk right up, idled perfect, problem fixed. If you've tried everything else, that sounds like your problem. Those diaphragms have very little tolerance between working just fine and a little too stretched/flimsy to work properly any more. I disassembled my entire propane system, vaporizer, mixer, inline filter, hoses and all, and got nothing visually....but all it needed was a new mixer diaphragm. There wasn't any holes or anything in it, it had just worked for so long, it lost it's shape and no longer functioned properly. Good luck!
X2. The rebuild parts are cheap enough to have a few on hand for each component.

Yeah I've sprayed starter fluid all around.

If the diaphragm can stretch and that cause a problem then that's probably it.. It seemed kinda stretched..

And for the guy who asked its just a GotPropane 22r kit..

I did have a couple intake backfires so I guess it did mess the diaphragm up and I can't see it..

Re:

Same exact diaphragm and mixer I had. See how it looks kinda wrinkly, that's the way mine looked. I think it would be very much worth buying a new diaphragm first before troubleshooting further.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Same exact diaphragm and mixer I had. See how it looks kinda wrinkly, that's the way mine looked. I think it would be very much worth buying a new diaphragm first before troubleshooting further.

I'll get one on the way. I wanted to ride this weekend!

New diaphragm is on the way along with one of those fancy dash covers..

Should be here next week..
:gay:

I was gonna go test it out and Choccolocco this weekend.. Guess I'll just spend the day working on crap..

Re:

Lol! That's how it works out sometimes man, hopefully that fixes it. You will have missed a ride opportunity, but it will have been a cheap fix. And cheap fixes are better than the other option lol.

smbroady82 said:
Come on up to Hale Mt and check it out this weekend... Your tires have walked all over that park 8)

I've been wanting to make a trip to Hale Mtn.. I've been to Hollytree up that way and it was good and rocky. If Hale is like it, but bigger, it'll be fun!

I'll make it up there eventually.