• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai engine decision

Wich engine?

• 1.6 16 valve

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 4.3 liter vortec

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • 3.4 liter GM engine (way light compared to 4.3)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 2.0 Grand vitara engine

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • any other engine choices, please answer in post

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MarcW

so, whats the verdict. samurai, clean sheet right now, going leaves in the front, trying to keep it light, want good gearing (all engines listed have good trans/ t cases adaptable for fairly cheap) possibly 4 link in the back. 36x12.5, or 38x12.5" SX's toyota axles. longs, blah blah. oh, and the weird option, i still want to be able to road trip this baby :D

Last edited:
crash said:
Be it a good motor I would go with something lighter in such a light platform..
It will be a light rig, whats an extra few hundred pounds. Plus the power to weight ratio will be good.:cool:

I've built 4 Samis with 22s and 22res they seem to be a good power to weight very easy install Very good set up:cool:

PORTER said:
It will be a light rig, whats an extra few hundred pounds. Plus the power to weight ratio will be good.:cool:

But extreemly tight. Yes the power/weight ratio of the motor is excelent--I won't argu that fact any.

I said to go w/ a 4.3V

you will have ample power supply, w/ the right tire / axle / gearing set-up.
and remain lightwieght - yet have the power to Scream down the road.

--- But a sidekick motor works too! 1.6 w/ the right gearing / tc set-up!

I should qualify my statement: I like the 1.6 for the type of wheelin' I do, and it will be fun in snow. Sustained 6000rpm snow blasts.

And my rig is still light, I weigh in at 2280 lbs (until toy's and 35's) but that's the way I want it, and I'm full bodied.

I run the 3.4 GM engine in my Isuzu as a replacement for the 2.8, also Chevy engine.

The downside is the choice of trannies is fairly limited since the 3.4 is a 60 degree engine, as opposed to the 90 degree 4.3.

I run a 3.0 toyota........just cause I had it laying around.....3.4 though is a better engine....would be easier swap if your runnin toyota t-cases and stuff:hi:

Little Red Zuk said:
I should qualify my statement: I like the 1.6 for the type of wheelin' I do, and it will be fun in snow. Sustained 6000rpm snow blasts.

And my rig is still light, I weigh in at 2280 lbs (until toy's and 35's) but that's the way I want it, and I'm full bodied.
haha you weigh 300lbs less than my Golf III:D

edit: i voted 4.3 btw

stompinjab1 said:
I've built 4 Samis with 22s and 22res they seem to be a good power to weight very easy install Very good set up:cool:

I agree with Jeff. I would put a 22r or re in it. Fits nice and give enough power.

bulzeye said:
1.6 is a great motor for a sammi. 22r's are just too heavy for what little power gain you get.

What are you smokein you have got to be kidding me ya double the horse power. Thats a little different than a stock motor.