• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai engine decision

Wich engine?

• 1.6 16 valve

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 4.3 liter vortec

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • 3.4 liter GM engine (way light compared to 4.3)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 2.0 Grand vitara engine

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • any other engine choices, please answer in post

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
This is how I come up with my decision. A 4 cylinder works very well when you have to crawl a line, BUT when you need brute wheelspeed to blast up a steep muddy hill it just dont cut it, because of all the gearing a 4 cylinder needs because the lack of HP/Torque. Wheelspeed just doesnt happen. Now you add bigger tires,Toy axles,cage,Tube, bigger powerplant, trans, t-case(s),spare tire, and all your wheeling gear and you will be in the 2800-3000lb range. This is where the extra power and torque is very nice to have. I have done the 4 cylinder, V8,and now V6 thing, so I have been there done that so take my opinion for whats it worth. Oh and crash my buddy has a 4.3 in his sami and they fit rather well, but I will give the 4 banger one thing, they do take up less space. Good luck marc on your decision.:beer:

stompinjab1 said:
What are you smokein you have got to be kidding me ya double the horse power. Thats a little different than a stock motor.

they are also much heavier and i was just pretty much quoting what you see on every Samurai forum.

bulzeye said:
they are also much heavier and i was just pretty much quoting what you see on every Samurai forum.

Yes the 22r & Re are heavier but my Re in my buggy with a cheep rv cam, header and K&N is 135 hp What is a 1.6 about 86 hp. Wouldn't you like to have 30% more hp for what 100 lbs

stompinjab1 said:
Yes the 22r & Re are heavier but my Re in my buggy with a cheep rv cam, header and K&N is 135 hp What is a 1.6 about 86 hp. Wouldn't you like to have 30% more hp for what 100 lbs

according to the guys on pirate you can get roughly the same numbers out of a 1.6

Im kinda leaning towards a built 4 banger, the vortec sounded good, but soo much weight added. are there cams/headers/ anything else available for the 1.6? i wanna keep this sammi under 2400 pounds, no spare, minimal tools, half cab, 2 seats, and i think a few peices of aluminum:D

Hey crash, you said the vortec is a little heavy for this application, what are your thoughts on engine choice? i cannot view who voted for what in my poll :D

the Grand vitara all alum v-6 is not worth it weight to power you only get like 25 more hp then the 2.0.

you will ahve a hard time finding a 1.6 16v if you do good luck

your best bet would be to find a 2.0 and you will have to get a flywheel from trail tough but would be your best bet

or i know some one that has a 1.8 that they would let go for a good price but i would have to talk to him .

what about the 2.2 ecotech that sounds like a fun motor :cheer:

Ok for 4 bangers.....Go with the Honda S2000 motor...225+ HP out of the box get the 5/6 speed trans. and run your divorced Sami case...problem solved!!

MarcW said:
i wanna keep this sammi under 2400 pounds. :D
2400lbs is not going to happen if you are going Toyota running gear. Stompinjabs old sami was 3050lbs with full toy running gear, a roll cage, lots of sheet metal missing, and just what was needed. He was also running 39.5s, so a realistic number for you would be 2800lbs. In order for you to get down to 2400lbs you will need to have a tube chassis, and only have minimal sheet metal. :;

Im surprised that nobody has mentioned a 2.3l Ford 4 cylinder with a turbo. You can get them out of TurboCoupe thunderchickens, and they have plenty of power, too.

Packaging is kind of a pain, but I have seen one done. He had a heck of a time with the intercooler.

mudracer said:
Im surprised that nobody has mentioned a 2.3l Ford 4 cylinder with a turbo. You can get them out of TurboCoupe thunderchickens, and they have plenty of power, too.

Packaging is kind of a pain, but I have seen one done. He had a heck of a time with the intercooler.

I think I saw the #'s on that motor and they are not exaclty light...

the 4.3 seems to be a local favorite, but they are HEAVY!!!. A 5.0 Ford weighs the same or less and has gobs more balls.

My vote is a 5.0 or a light VW engine.

briejer said:
the 4.3 seems to be a local favorite, but they are HEAVY!!!. A 5.0 Ford weighs the same or less and has gobs more balls.

My vote is a 5.0 or a light VW engine.

Problem with that motor you are going to greatly exceed what those lil diffs can handle..

crash said:
Problem with that motor you are going to greatly exceed what those lil diffs can handle..

better go with a 4.3 then....just a few pounds lighter, but gutless enough to not hurt the lil diffs:clappy: