• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai exo cage

ronin-sj410

I'm building this exocage and I think I'm pretty close to being done and have a few questions. 1) did I go overkill on the two main hoops (driver to passenger). 2) Where/do I need gussets on this design. 3) Suggestions on how to weld joints on inside next to body? Any other tips or concerns greatly appreciated. 1 1/2" 120 wall HREW

Last edited:
You could have done without the second B pillar since the rig is so small and light but it looks ok. As for gussets I have never done them and as for the hard to reach areas most guys will leave the mounting points only tacked and raise the cage to get to those areas and drop it down.

Great thank you. I'm going to be taking my son out soon and just wanted to make sure he would be OK if anything were to happen. As for the tacks there's only a coupe spots where half the tube was welded and I'm thinking maybe a thin sawzall blade should do the trick with minimal kerf. On the main hoop furthest forward from driver to passenger I slightly over bent and had to use blocks of wood to center it on the sliders, so if I weld all the top tubes do you think the heat will remove the "spring" from the over bend? I'm worried I may not be able to get it off or back on after cutting the tacks and short welds Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks guys:beer::beer: This was my first time bending tube and I got ALOT of respect for guys that build cages. I thought it would be no big deal, bend some tube weld it up, couple of late nights and done deal....not the case!!! There's alot of time that goes into these and anyone thinking of doing one or having one done for them definitely need to take a step back and realize they take time and skill. I've done plenty of fab work over the years on my rig, but these cages are a totally different animal, after all they are for your safety and should not be underestimated.

Last edited: