• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Saving cd players from dust

zuk88

After coming back from the hammers last week I noticed my Kenwwood bit the dust literally. This is my second stereo that has fallen victim to this fate, any ideas, tape it shut when weeling?

This is the very reason I don't run a cd player in my rig! That and all the disc's get scratched to ****! Go with either a cheap tape deck and use a mp3 player with the cassette deck adapter, or a basic head unit that supports mp3, or a ipod! These are my plans when I get my truck running!

They have those marine bubble covers for the decks to keep moisture out, that might work too!

This is the #1 reason for the ipod... The compact disk portion of my stereo crapped out over a year ago.

This is the #1 reason for the ipod... The compact disk portion of my stereo crapped out over a year ago.

2 results for: ipod
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web
American Heritage Abbreviations Dictionary 3rd Edition - Cite This Source
IPOD
International Program of Ocean Drilling
The American Heritage® Abbreviations Dictionary, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.Acronym Finder - Cite This Source

IPOD IPOD: in Acronym Finder

Acronym Finder, © 1988-2007 Mountain Data Systems

aux plugin for the ipod! and a charging cable to the cigarette lighter... my cd player still plays after years of sand storms... but the eject only works with a set of needle nose pliers...

I gave up on keeping the dirt out.

I'm planning on going the mp3/ipod route and just getting the headphone to rca type adpater and running it to an amp.

you guys meen to tell me you actualy have time and money to put stereo equipment into your trucks?
plus i dont need a stereo when i can just listen to my buddies laughin away at me or waitin for those nice little pops

Better yet...try the VR3 stereo at Wally World that takes flash drives and memory cards in addition to CDs(why though?) and an mp3 player plugin. No skipping, no discs, no sand no flies! woops got a little bit of the iraqi information minister there:D

CDs are almost obsolete...for obvious reasons.

i have a sony deck with a aux input for the ipod. works great just stick the ipod in the ashtray and it doesnt get dirty either. as for CD's i dont know i dont think i have ever used that feature :redneck:

Just take care of em. Im in eastern WA IE dust bowl and mines lasted 2 yrs. I got a decent sony and keep it clean. BLow it off from time to time with an air hose and wipe it clean. Just takes a lil tlc.

What kind of radio do you have?

None right now. Buggy is tuneless at this point. But killed the 2 prior cd players that were in the donor rig/ wheeler. I guess wheeling with no doors and bombing down the dusty forestry roads did them in.

I have the speakers and amp sitting in the shop from the old rig, just waiting to get a portable mp3 player or ipod. but it is way down the list i like the vroooom sound.

Just take care of em. Im in eastern WA IE dust bowl and mines lasted 2 yrs. I got a decent sony and keep it clean. BLow it off from time to time with an air hose and wipe it clean. Just takes a lil tlc.

I did use an air hose on it and it went from not wanting to eject the disc to not reading it at all. I dont know if sealing the front off when wheelin will work or if the dust wrecks the deck if it comes through the back vents.

I use a marine cover on the stereos in our sand cars, trucks, and golf carts. never had an issue. though we're switching over to stereos that use Ipod ports so I can actually listen to the stereo at high speed and don't have to worry about skipping

Better yet...try the VR3 stereo at Wally World that takes flash drives and memory cards in addition to CDs(why though?) and an mp3 player plugin. No skipping, no discs, no sand no flies! woops got a little bit of the iraqi information minister there:D

CDs are almost obsolete...for obvious reasons.

X2!! I love that deck. $85 at wally world and it doesnt skip playing cd's and all the other shiat plugs into the face.

I'm planning on going the mp3/ipod route and just getting the headphone to rca type adpater and running it to an amp.

Do you know for sure if this will work? I could be wrong but I dont think the ipod puts out the correct low level signal to control the amp volume properly. Without a preamp low level signal, you will get alot of noise and have problems controlling the volume. Two ways you could do it is if the amp has a built in high level reducer, or capability to run full power speaker powers in for the signal, you could run the 1/8th pin jack from the ipod to these terminals. You can also get some kind of power reducer module ($30), they used to sell them for head units without RCA outputs so that you can take the speaker power out from the deck, reduce it and then output to RCA jacks and then to an amp.

You'll need to run it through a pre amp converter (such as from scosche) to up the output voltage of the ipod. They put out a weak signal that sounds like crap unless you up the output of its headphone jack.