• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock boots

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Are they worth it.

Pros cons?

I have them on my rig but they keep coming off. I want to tear them all off cause I really can't see a reason for having them on there.

Ive got em on my truck, mine dont slip around, but not too sure if they are necessary. Has anyone heard of the difference of running shocks upside down? Ive seen this on a few rigs but havent been able to find any articles in any mogs or online.

KarlVP said:
Are they worth it.

Pros cons?

I have them on my rig but they keep coming off. I want to tear them all off cause I really can't see a reason for having them on there.
I tore mine off because they were trapping more mud/water in them than they were keeping out.

Running them upside down gets the important part up out of the way of rocks, trees and such that want to dent them.

But not all shocks can be run inverted.

KarlVP said:
Are they worth it.

Pros cons?

no no no..

They retain dirt and moisture in the shock shaft. throw them away...

TacOffRd said:
Won't this also prematurely wear out the shock?

Oh ya it can but usually what happens is it will cause the area around the shaft on the body to rust out--except on the bilsteins they are built better.

I never run shock boots. Took some of a truck I bought and ther was 2 inches of mud and water trapped in them. They only cause problems

a little off topic, but if I fabbed up rear shock mounts so the are as far out as possible on the axle and angled in to the center, do the shocks have to be paralell with the axle or can they angle forward? Or will that just be a way to help axle wrap?

Yep and they will make the shock rust. I used to run shock boots but then discovered the rust. :mad: