• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snorkel

MADDMUDDER said:
ben you should rig up a hose like that to your truck :kissmyass:

I hate water and mud and avoid it unless it is part of the trail. If it is deep enough that I need one..........I will turn around.........or make a bypass.

j/k:flipoff:

Dude, that rig is sweet! You could use it as a snorkle, but then bend it forward for the street for a cold air intake and ram air too! Im gonna start building one like that for mine!

Not :rolleyes:

Actually, someone mentioned a splash guard. Im seriously considering this since I have a Weber and the engine bay doesnt do much to stop the water, and the fact its a nice open air filter doesnt help. Im just not sure what Im going to do exactly yet. I also thought about getting the snorkel top adapter thing and relocating it somewhere, but I dont know where. Or, eventually I want to convert to EFI, so by doing that I would build in a relocated air intake as well. Who knows.

~T.J.

84Toyota4x4 said:
If you go slower through the puddles so the water doesnt splash up, I notice it helps a lot, lol.

~T.J.

you are going slow when you are in the midle of a mud run, but your tires are going a hundred miles an hour.

Dear RiverRat0021;
I am definitely on your side on this discussion my friend! I think snorks are the ultimate in kewl!!! Please pay no attention to the folks on this board who say that snorkels are gay, etc. They obviously are having some problems with their sexuality. If your Toyota truck is anything like my Hi-Luz then fabbing a steel tubed snork for it is a breeze. If you still have the 4 banger than 2" ID will work well for you. Stay away from the PVC pipe. It tacky and looks booty fabbed whereas a nicely formed steel tube snork looks tuff and kewl. It lets everybody know that you are a serious offroader and a little water ain't gonna slow ya down! BTW, if you decide to snork the intake then it would also be to your benefit to snork the exhaust pipe too.

Finally some one is on my side on this. I wonder if i could route it So i would not have to drill a big hole in my hood.

yotabeater said:
hater :D i like how everyone on this board talks **** about snorkels, then when it floods they all wish they had one. funny stuff.:flipoff:

The only snorkel I need is with my scuba gear :flipoff:

yotabeater said:
hater :D i like how everyone on this board talks **** about snorkels, then when it floods they all wish they had one. funny stuff.:flipoff:

Not really... spark plugs don't fire when they are submerged... a snorkel on an older diesel rig is cool though.

rivier.jpg

yotabeater said:

hey Einstein...it's flooded right now and I still don't want one :rolleyes:

I, like many people, built a capable wheelin rig...not a submarine.

Snorkels are the ultimate in showing everyone who has a clue that you really have no clue what so ever. It also shows us that you don't wheel 90% of the local trails because if you did your snorkel would be in pieces and/or ripped off your rig littering the trail just like Toyota mud flaps.

Snorkels on gas powered vehicles will continue to to be the laughing stock of the PNW Wheelin community.

Your favorite snorkel hater,
Brad

PS...all you :rb: snorkel driving pussies can suck my balls :corn:

RiverRat0021 said:
Finally some one is on my side on this. I wonder if i could route it So i would not have to drill a big hole in my hood.

To each there own. I would rather see people spend $$ on cages than something that is more cosmetic than anything...

Don't get me wrong they have there place in this sport--just not here in the PNW where they are prone to being ripped off..

Jobless said:
hey Einstein...it's flooded right now and I still don't want one :rolleyes:

I, like many people, built a capable wheelin rig...not a submarine.

Snorkels are the ultimate in showing everyone who has a clue that you really have no clue what so ever. It also shows us that you don't wheel 90% of the local trails because if you did your snorkel would be in pieces and/or ripped off your rig littering the trail just like Toyota mud flaps.

Snorkels on gas powered vehicles will continue to to be the laughing stock of the PNW Wheelin community.

Your favorite snorkel hater,
Brad

PS...all you :rb: snorkel driving pussies can suck my balls :corn:

geez man. lighten up. go get some poontang or something.

Jobless said:
Ding ding ding ding!

some years ago... I made a Snorkle for my sidekick... it did come in handy for many trails around the PNW, so i have to disagree w/ they don't have a place here in the PNW, yet it's easier to avoid deep water & all the touble that comes w/ it as well. i used to like deep water / mud / etc. some trails just have huge holes that get filled in wintertime. a Snorkle has it's place...

if built right.

I made mine outta PVC from the carb out the fender, and the part that ran up the along side the windshield was poop pipe *(metal / steel) it took a good beating from side scrapes / etc w/ trees... walls... I tried routing it through the inside of the cab... but it was loud, some do mount the intake inside the cabs up at the top... but the noise is terrible when reving...

I got a funny video of the sidekick, floating in the river... anyone know how to upload it on the internet from my camcorder?

Why not just reroute your air intake to inside the cab of the vehicle? This way you can see if you are getting water in your engine and also, you don't have anything that can get "tree molested"

KarlVP said:
Why not just reroute your air intake to inside the cab of the vehicle? This way you can see if you are getting water in your engine and also, you don't have anything that can get "tree molested"

I think most should consider the risk factor that is involved w/ any type of snorkle used...

just takes a small amount of water to Vapor Lock a motor.

not to mention, if your out w/ a experienced group of Offroaders, you'll more than learn what can be done w/o a snorkle vs having a snorkle. it's better to shut off the motor & winch through the obstacle. saving your motor.

remember, everytime your rig goes through deep mud / water... your bearings are getting the micro crap / dirt lodged into them, your brakes... etc.
how many of you after a water / dirt / mud crossing re-pack them? or clean everything out ??? not many...

i used to have 3inches ++++ of mud inside my rig... NO MORE.

--------------------------- stick to the dry stuff, and shut off the motor & winch through the deep stuff... hence - you also don't make the holes bigger either by gasing through them & spinning tires.