• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow Wheeling, Tire Chains & Tow Rigs

Personally I think chains suck. learn how to drive and get prpoer tires, you won't need them.

I totaly agree...with the right suspension, tires, wheels, and budget. Chains are useless...
but with non budget totaly wore out tires and a questionable trail rig and free chains........

Its so much fun:bananallama:

The best way and cheepest way I found for my wheeler is cut down old semi chains. They are the perfect width for a 12.5 wide tire. And those cam lock tensioners rock! Surf The web, semi supply stores or lots of truck stops will start having them in stock vary soon.:awesomework:
Im guessing you just have to make em shorter? Liking this idea!

Its totaly easy just pull them around your tire hook the rails back to them selves. cut excess rail down. usually you have to cut out one extra cross link to make room. Then go wheel it!

The ones that work the best on a 12.5 have at least a ten link cross link.:awesomework:

That auto chain set up on my bus costs $2200...

I plan on picking up a set of semi chains for the outside tires just in case...

I was thinking about getting a bald set of swampers and putting studs on them...:corn:

learn how to drive and get prpoer tires, you won't need them.

:haha: This is always the best advise.:rolleyes:

BUT!!!......try parking your tow rig for 8 hours while you wheel........it's snowing the whole time, the road grader comes by and put a 2foot berm in front of your way out! and you come back to 6", 8" 12" of snow around your tow rig. :cheer:.....:mad: This has happened to me......but!!! I had a 4WD tow rig then. :;I know you know this.

BUT!!!......try parking your tow rig for 8 hours while you wheel........it's snowing the whole time, the road grader comes by and put a 2foot berm in front of your way out! and you come back to 6", 8" 12" of snow around your tow rig. :cheer:.....:mad: This has happened to me......but!!! I had a 4WD tow rig then. :;I know you know this.

woops that was your rig I bermed in :haha: sorry

I have a dually as well but have 4wd. I would not recommend cables for what is needed. I would go with just a good set of cam tension chains like shown previously. I would also pony up for the dually set as just the outer dual chained up on my truck does very little.

Just a side note on the cables for off plowed road driving, one spin with trailer in tow and they will break.

The V-bar chains shown previosly have longer lasting road miles than non v-bar chains. They also do great for highway pavement life:redneck:

You also seemed to ask on where to get, well, I usually use Les Schwab. I wont buy for sticker and always talk the price down as there up front price at Schwab is rediculous. I have also gotten good deals at local auto parts stores.

i have had this happen and even with the 4x4 i couldn't get out.

I had to winch it out with my trail rig...lol

I personally like the cable chains for the Hwy. Put them on when LEO makes you, take them off as soon as you pass him

Now we can get into the talk about studded tires, sipe tires, air pressure and adding weight :corn:

I'm not doing it to "comply".....I'm doing it so I can "get there". And then, after a days wheeling, get outta there.:;

Don't have the budget for a separate set of studded tires.

Siping tires might be great for driving on plowed (and icy) roadways, but would do very little for driving through actual snow on gravel roads.

Lower the tires air pressure? I have 16.5 wheels and are towing long didsances......um, no.

Adding weight? I have an entire Toyota truck on the deck, over the rear axle.....that enough?:fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
Ask crashypoo about last year and not having chains.

He almost ended up in a very bad way. And he was barely doing 5mph on the ice. His truck just wouldn't stop. If he had chains on his tires, this would have been a different situation on the ice.

Also, when taking chains off, don't be this guy. On the side of the road, taking the chains off while the plow waited patiently to remove the snow.
IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

All this being said, I got a crazy deal on my chains from someone who got bigger tires on their tow rig. I have chains for all 4 corners. :awesomework: Having a dually just sucks ass in the snow. The inner rear tire follows the front tire. The outer tire has to plow its own way. Plus having more surface area with two tires tends to "float" you on the ice and snow for less traction.

Last edited:
One more question: Do you guys run the adjusters (the tensioner) on your chains; on your tow rigs? If so, the rubber ones or the spring ones?

Last edited: