• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So I'm thinking about a SxS.....

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Just thinking out loud here, nothing definitive. I've found myself thinking about buying a Gayzr. I already have a trailer it would fit on and the FJ can tow it....don't want to put the FJ in the woods anymore, too many scratches. Went to Choccolocco in it once, didn't think I brushed up against many things at all....wash it, and see scratches everywhere! :eek:

If I end up committing to buy one, I will likely sell one of my bikes, which as of now I really don't want to do, but I am at a point where I find myself riding one more than the other, so I'm on the fence. If I did sell one, I'd take the cash and start saving til I had enough to buy an 800s, so this is nothing that will happen soon. I'm just kinda throwing the idea around and have a few questions.

I really don't know much of **** about the Gayzrs as far as what advantages different years and models hold...I know the 1000 front diff swap is a common thing, but don't know why or on which ones...things like that. I would probably be looking for an 800-S, found those in the range of what I would want to spend on one. Biggest question is, what do you have to do to them to be somewhat durable? I drive with sense so it doesn't have to be indestructible, just a small lift and something like 28 bighorns so I have enough clearance to not hang up on everything. Do stock axles hold up to 28's fairly good without having to go aftermarket? Aftermarket cage and skids is already a given.

Ideally, I should be able to find a solid 800s that already has a cage, wheels/tires, skids, etc on it for $8-9k, so hopefully I wouldn't have to spend very much at all after purchasing one to make it how I want it and to where it would hold up to moderate wheeling. I don't care for big hills, I just want to booze cruise and have one that's semi capable.

Oh, are all of them that are 4x4 have lockers fr/rr?

This is pretty much what I would want one set up like, but with custom cage. The street legal thing interests me, can you do that in AL? I've saw Ricky B. street driving his in TN, but is it also something you can do in Bama? I really don't know what's involved with making it street legal besides throwing blinkers on it. What sort of documentation is involved?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/snw/5249169176.html

Just tossing this out there. Make sure whatever you buy has new bushings, break pads and all the consumables. Can be expensive and not a huge pain, but a time consumer to change all of it.

The first time I drove a RZR was a few weeks ago. It is 100% not for me. I couldn't left foot brake very well, due to the floor board being in the way. On the rocks it felt like a samurai on 30 inch tires and riding on the bumps. Very maneuverable, but not very comfortable to drive. If you haven't driven one, take a test drive before you commit. I know there is a difference on 800, 900 and 1000's, and the suspensions with different packages. Either way, it just isn't for me as my full time ride.

Re:

I agree with the rzr never being my full time ride. The rzr is fun for a bit, but the CVT and complete lack of real crawling ability kills it for me.

Yes, you can take a rzr up most of the same stuff as my Toyota crawler, it's just not fun to me.

Re: Re: Re: So I'm thinking about a SxS.....

TBItoy said:
Then he'd have to buy a trailer and tow rig... Again...
Exactly. I could buy a streetable rig, but I don't want to because I've already been there and that progressed into a trailer queen. Plus I dont like driving a capable trail rig 2 hours to a park and risk breaking.

I still may not get one, just putting forth consideration....but my ideal rig would be something to just go and join the fun on. I dont care about crawling the hardest trail anymore or keeping up with anybody long as I can ride along, drink beer, spectate, go home and not have to work on my ****. I realize things need fixing on atv's/utv's but not to the extent of the way it does on crawlers. (If you drive with sense). So I think a Gayzr would fit the bill fairly well. I thought about the Rhino 700's but it just seems there's so much more performance in an 800s gayzr for about the same money. I aint working on a farm so the extra bed room doesn't really matter.

That's the idea anyways. I may talk myself out of it all together, just wanted a little more insight on them.

Re: Re: So I'm thinking about a SxS.....

al1tonyota said:
You might as well get a 900 4seater so you can haul the kid and a car seat for the new one!
No new one, that's how rumors get started! Haha

I promise I'm not trying to talk you out of one. My favorite thing about a RZR is how fast I can get to the parking lot when a part is needed.

I stress the test drive. Take it up a moderate trail. If you can handle a small ledge and some medium UPS box sized rocks, then it can be an enjoyable little rig. I have been a passenger 10x and enjoyed being on the trails as opposed to being at home. If you wanna go fast, I know a park you can visit for said test drive :****:

Have you considered buying one from an insurance auction?

Haven't looked lately, but last time i did there were several deals on rolled/wrecked ones for 2k-5k with low hours and low miles.

rednecklights said:
Hell no.

Rhino or ranger

The 800's kicked ass when the competition was a rhino .... 900's are the better all around choice imho for a rzr but still man you'd hate it in a month.

Four seat conversion rhino or ranger ftw

This is the route. I have had a rhino. Turned it into a 4 seater and beat the crap out of it and would take it places you would never think it would go. My brother just sold his and he totaled it out 2 times and we fixed it and was still going strong. Both had over 3,000 miles when sold and still ran great.
Brother got an 800s same time he had the rhino and sold the 800 cause rhino was tuffer and could go just as good.
I had a 900 rzr and got it with 500 miles on it. Only reason I got it was to flip and did just that but I put 600 miles on it and while owning it put bearings and bushings on it 2 times. That thing was junk and not because it was abused.
I now have a 900 ranger. Love it and it's built way better than the rzr. Use it to haul firewood, hunt out of, haul the cooler on trails, and run 60 down the hwy. While it's no rzr on ride comfort it gets it done and with 27" tires and bead locks I can put it in some places a ranger shouldn't be. Also can ride 3 deap with seat belts on while doing it all.

When we went to ivy branch a few weeks back, one guy brought his 4 seat teryx.

The teryx seating position is way more comfortable than a rzr and is tons easier to get in and out of.

mac5005 said:
When we went to ivy branch a few weeks back, one guy brought his 4 seat teryx.

The teryx seating position is way more comfortable than a rzr and is tons easier to get in and out of.
I was all in on the teryx until I drove one the front seat to pedal position is dumb! After driving it for 5 min my shin muscle and thigh muscle were hurting from holding my leg in the position you are in to keep your foot off the pedal! After 15 min my ankle was killing me!

I will 2nd a teryx 4, had mine for 2 years and not a problem. The jap stuff is built way better than the Polaris brands. It will all depend in who, where, and how you ride. If you plan on spending most of your time at 30mph or below, the teryx, rhino, or ranger is tits hands down. Ever plan on 30 mph and above 50% of the time, buy a sport sxs of the brand of your choice and plan on upgrading the running gear just like you did for your crawlers! There is a 14 teryx 4 in Lanett, Al. on craigllist AU for 10K with 28's, winch, etc.