• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So who has the status on MattO?

ridered3 said:
So i watched the YouTube video and have some questions. I spent the day Friday watching the live coverage at Backdoor and notice that they had a designated winch point of a vehicle as well as personnel on hand that were in charge of helping to roll a buggy back on the tires. Since they were designated help, the driver would not be DQ'ed for outside help.

Why did they not have either of these things set up at this spot?
To answer your question there was supposed to be one.
They changed the rules spectators could no longer roll vehicles back over. In an attempt to keep the race moving Hammerking was supposed to have designated recovery vehicles/personnel at each roll over point. I don't think it worked so well Matt waited on recovery for 45min effectively ending his day. If it was last year spectators would have rolled immediately back over. When Ian and I did an endo we never even got out and the spectators had us back going. I understand the rule but i think it did nothing to keep people off the race courses.

Congrats to all... Team nasty especially looked good out there to finish in one piece is huge.

Congrats to all of the racers. Just attempting this brutal race is a great feat. Thanks for letting us be there to share in the stories and heartache of this epic race. We will be back year after year. Had a blast.

I'll see what kind of shots we have when we get back. we had some creative gopro placement at a few of the trails that should make for some killer video. Touring around LA at the moment. Be back southside soon. It was great meeting some new folks on the lakebed.

Matt

COLT said:
X2 on the currier rock suckin!.......Wyatt....i just ran into the guys from houston at a truck stop in NM nice bunch....they were bragging on your fuel cans! :dblthumb:

Yeah they are good guys, I wish I coulda been out there. I think we are teaming up to race the EDR series this year. I pre-teched Dave's buggy for KOH but I've never sat in it. If I fit we will be racing the desert series together.

EOR MFG said:
I understand the rule but i think it did nothing to keep people off the race courses.

Jimmy you nailed it, but I still can not stop laughing. Dave and Jeff made such a huge stink about spectators off the course, and ensureing their safety and the safety of drivers then runs off and gets run over by Nazir on course in Outerlimits. WTF, IRONY!!!!

Tough break Matt and Jamie, thats racing though. Good work Jab and crew , hope the tow home didnt kill ya'lls financials for next year ! :wtflol:

Yeah you can see some of the big name rigs we were in front of in that video, and we passed most of them in outer limits in that log jam. We were charging hard, we started 51st and Pickett took us off the line, so 52nd and we only got passed by some fast rigs like Shannon, DSI, Torchmate, Wayes, etc in the desert, by our 5th CP we were 28, so 24 spots. We came out of outer limits and were following JR letting it eat, passed the pits told them we would see them at 41. We ran Wrecking Ball in 10 minutes top to bottom, ran choclate thunder by ourselves and came up behind Currie in Jack and took the hard line to pass. We ran that line in pre-running, I spanked it. But I didn't on race day, and all rock trails had a recovery crew, or so I was told. We were there forever trying to get recovered, finally a jeep came after 30 minutes or more and losing 10 or so spots. Jamie and I had to roll it on its roof for them to roll it over, it was dumb. The whole time spectators were yelling they would come help like last year, but couldn't. It was awesome we got going and belted up and cut off a line of rigs coming up Jack. Crowd went nuts, thought it was badass. We immediately noticed the Atlas shifters moving all over, and hitting the belly and making loud noises. So we were kinda limping along, Jab and Travis came around us past Sledge and right after we lost steering. Line was split so jamie went to hiking and I started fixing what I could. Passenger net was gone, winch line and winch were broken and I could not find anything lose with the trans or atlas. It took a few hours for Jamie to get back, but he did and I got it fixed and we limped to pits. I told them what was going on and the motor mount was quickly found. It had literally put a hole in the inner frame rail, and there was no way to keep going that late. It was fun, we were running very hard and my rig works like a champ in the rocks. We are almost positive that he mount was damaged in our pre-run roll, we just never found it. After that day it was a handfull at speed and we were popping out of high range at speed. We think the weight transfer was making the rig loose in turns and hard to control, it just finally broke all the way through when we rolled on Jack.

We have some awesome GoPro vids of the first 28 miles of the race, I will get them up soon. It really gives you an idea on the speed and how hard it was to see. Overall it was a great time and a learning experience. I was encouraged that I can be competitive in a race like this, and we had a great team. As for the rig, I will fix the motor mount and re-skin it, but the Jeep body is done. No more fixing that ****, just put some AL on it. I plan to take the parts off and have a new chassis built later this year and hopefully make another run at this.

Nasir broke a bypass shaft in half on outer limits on the first lap. They were on a fast desert section of lap 2 when they took a sketchy line and endoed it at 40mph, engine noises made them call it quits.

It got beat on, the hood was the only straight panel left...

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Nasir broke a bypass shaft in half on outer limits on the first lap. They were on a fast desert section of lap 2 when they took a sketchy line and endoed it at 40mph, engine noises made them call it quits.

It got beat on, the hood was the only straight panel left...

thanks

hahaha. "hard right dumbass"

That was the only rock section I struggled with all race. I don't know why I didn't see the line around to the right. I almost rolled it a couple of times which would have made my day even worse.

I hope there is video of me on Backdoor. I had never even pulled tires on that trail, and we one shotted it, probably the highlight of my race.

Travis said:
I hope there is video of me on Backdoor. I had never even pulled tires on that trail, and we one shotted it, probably the highlight of my race.

I saw it. It was the only other set of Goodyears to do that besides Campbell. I was proud of ye....