• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering Wheel Quick Disconnect?

WHIZARD

I am finally going to put a steering wheel disconnect in my buggy after bruising the **** out of my leg at Hawk Pride this weekend. I have been looking at them and there are so many different ones to choose from. What are some of you guys running on your rigs? I'm new to the whole removeable steering wheel concept, so any tips would be appreciated as well. I'm also going to change to a different steering wheel; so show me what you're running as a wheel too please. I know that I want to run either a 13 or 15 steering wheel but I am open to suggestions. Thanks fellers.

I've had the hex, and the splined. Hex easier to get on, but has much more slop than the splined.
For a trails or beater buggy the Hex is fine, for a racer you want the spline.

Spline is the way to go. Harder to put on, but will won't come off unless you want it too.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Looks like I am going with the Tanner Racing spline disconnect, great price and looks to be a great product. I've been looking at several different steering wheels, I really like the Grant suede wheel but I am not sure if I would like such a small wheel. Anybody have any opinions on a good steering wheel? I really want a 13 or 15, but would consider another size if I liked the wheel :dunno:. Thanks.

Re:

I ordered a 15" for my rig but it seems too big, I have a 13" that works better, I got a 10.75" coming tomorrow to see which fits best. I had to sit in the seat belted in to get size right. Biggest thing is how far out ends up from your legs

TBItoy said:
I've got the cheapest one that speedway motors sells.

whole combo is only $55. Aluminum wheel is only $65, but I heard they bend pretty easy.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Dish-Steering-Wheel-Combo-15-Inch,38808.html

Lost my steering wheel last year and bought this same purple disconnect. Was the cheapest I could find. Got my dad's steering wheel he used to use on his Vette drag car, drilled holes in it to fit the disconnect, and it works like a champ. It is a smaller wheel than the previous I got with the truck, I don't even have to take it off now to get out and it doesn't take as many turns to turn it...so take that into consideration when pondering steering wheel size. I like smaller better.

WHIZARD said:
Thanks for all of the input guys. Looks like I am going with the Tanner Racing spline disconnect, great price and looks to be a great product. I've been looking at several different steering wheels, I really like the Grant suede wheel but I am not sure if I would like such a small wheel. Anybody have any opinions on a good steering wheel? I really want a 13 or 15, but would consider another size if I liked the wheel :dunno:. Thanks.

Suede will rub your hands raw as fawk turning all day. The wheel I got from my dad is a small red vinyl wrapped steering wheel that came from Nopi in Atlanta, so it's the typical tuner style wheel, it's flat on the bottom, and is suede wrapped across the bottom only, I hate grabbing that part of the wheel when I'm turning. Bad idea in my opinion.

Found a shitty picture of it...that suede **** fawking sucks. All vinyl wrap is the way to go.

yhysu4ep.jpg

TacomaJD said:
It is a smaller wheel than the previous I got with the truck, ... and it doesn't take as many turns to turn it...so take that into consideration when pondering steering wheel size. I like smaller better.

What kind of math are you smoking. :flipoff1:

Re: Re: Re: Steering Wheel Quick Disconnect?

JohnG said:
What kind of math are you smoking. :flipoff1:

Math smoking??? LOL I've heard of smoking alot of stuff but dang.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

My point is your effing hand moves less of a distance say, between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock... :flipoff1: Just like a bigger tire covers more surface area of the ground before it makes a complete revolution, than that of a smaller tire. Maybe I should have said "YOU can turn it quicker." molaugh

Latest posts