• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stock battery "group"?

skrause

Anyone know what it is for a Toy minitruck? My optima is toast and I'm not farting around with those expensive odd sized batteries in this truck any more. I just want a cheap maintenance free type that will fit properly under the stock bracket.

Go too inerstate battery they will help you out..There is one off of 128th and 4th in Everett.that's where I pick up my blem's

Go too inerstate battery they will help you out..There is one off of 128th and 4th in Everett.that's where I pick up my blem's

I was planning on just swinging by costco, Everett is a little out of the way for me. :booo:

If you can wait till morning i'll run out and check to see what size mine is. Its the largest i could fit in my tray/under the braket. It's an interstate as well.

Yeah, my step dad manages a auto shop that carries interstate batteries so i just grabed the one that barely fit and to be quiet honest im pretty sure my alternator ate Sheet a couple days ago and my battery is keepin me goin. :D

24, 25, 26 and 75 & 78 seem to be popular choices for those "pick your application" type online vendors. I have a 34/78 in my 84 with a 1" height adapter under it.

~T.J.

Last edited:
24, 25, 26 and 75DT seem to be popular choices for those "pick your application" type online vendors.

I run an older Optima 34/78 I got for free in mine with the 1" height adapter under it, fits pretty good. But my truck has a home brew hold down someone made so its a little wonky. Fits really well with the stock hold down.

I'm going back and forth between getting another 34/78 for the girls 4Runner, or one of the Orbitals since Ive been hearing bad things about the Optimas lately.

~T.J.
I found the same on the sizes from "for application" type searches. Those will all "fit", sorta, but one thing I've noticed is they are all smaller than the stock plastic tray liner. I wonder what size Toyota supplied from the factory...

Orbitals are crap too, BTDT. Killed it dead in just under a year. Schmuck's where I got it on sale conveniently lost ALL my info and refused to replace it. Now that I think about that, this optima has actually been in the truck just over 2 years. The plastic spacer for my optima is deformed and won't stay attached anymore, found it trying to escape. Hence why I'm not playing games anymore. Plain jane batteries have always lasted longer for me.

Just searching around some more, I see it depends on which vehicle you had. I figured they would be the same. Apparently the long wheel bases had different sizes than the shorter, and the diesels had different ones than the gas. The "optional and Canadian" ones had different ones too. Looks like either 21 or 25 was stock for gas, and 24 for Diesel or something like that.

This link to a PDF from Exide lists the stock sizes and stuff. Page 123 starts Toyota.
http://www.exide.com/pdf/Exide_2002_catalog.PDF

Thanks for the tip about the Orbitals BTW.

~T.J.

Last edited:
This link to a PDF from Exide lists the stock sizes and stuff.
http://www.exide.com/pdf/Exide_2002_catalog.PDF

Nice find, I wonder if interstate has a similar list... I tried to search on the diesel motor but came up empty on the sites I tried. Figured if any of them had an abnormally large battery that would be the one.

I'm not impressed by any "spiral" cell type battery any more. I freaking made one back in a junior high science class and even that one didn't live long. We had to condition them to build up capacity, and were only able to power a little electric toy car for a couple dozen races before they were garbage.

maybe i just got lucky and bought a good one because i have had the same red top optima for the last 3 years with no problems. and ive put it in 4 or 5 different rigs. right now its in my wheeler and just doesnt die. even when i would kill the battery a quick jump and its good as new.

Mine hasn't had a problem yet either, but I know it sat on the shelf brand new for a few years before I got it. I was watching it sit there forever, and I finally sprung for it when mine started leaking everywhere all of a sudden.

~T.J.