• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Surprise lake

mudslayer

So went up to the lake Friday afternoon, haven't been up since 2014, definitely gotten a little tougher. The camp spot on the beach is gettin tore up pretty good. Couldn't ask for better weather, fishing, and just a good time, and the backdrop is unreal:beer:
Don't know why there upside down?

Last edited:
What would you recumbent as minimum requirements for this trail (preferably without destroying anything)?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

It's doable with open diffs when dry, a little tight and brushy in places, no hills or off camber, just a rough bouncy river bed kinda trail. Sammy on 31's made it.
There is 2 spurs that take a left towards the end, 1st one goes around backside of Lake and dead ends. 2nd left drops down a pretty difficult rock drop into a elevated campsite on the lake side. Stay to the right and you come out at the hehe Sandy beach/end of trail. If you have nice paint, I'd stay away. It's a sweet little hidden jem of a place.

It's private property and over used. There is government land all around it and hikers would love to close the road. Please keep this place off the internet. Too much love is not good for this area.

Private property? ? Who's property? Governments?
If people would treat the trails with respect and pack out there damn trash, places like this won't get closed. Seems like everything is getting closed or frowned upon.
I stopped and talked to the ranger and nothing was said about it being private property or closed or anything of the such, he even told me to enjoy the trip up to the lake. If it's government property, then I'm sure as hell gonna use what my tax dollars and disco/park fees, and what ever else it cost me to play in the woods. If it's private property it should be posted private, but for the 5 yrs or so I've been going there, I've never been told not to, have talked to more than a few rangers about this trail and nothing mentioned except have a good time.

Last edited:
Weyerhaeuser Company owns it. Look at a map. If the government was in charge they would close it like every other spur road in the area. There used to be alot more roads up there, all gated or closed now.

The mining road has been there since the 1890s. There are several mines and an old cabin you can hike to. My grandfather used to hunt the area in the 60s and 70s, there were more mining cabins but the USFS removed them when they logged the old growth trees and widened the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I wholly agree on keeping the low profile. It's a trail I'd like to run before what I fear is an inevitable closure. Too many idiots know it's there, doing sh!t like driving in the lake and posting videos online.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk