• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The kid wants a quad.....

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So kyle got a chance to play on a quad this weekend and has found---he really enjoys them (he didn't want anything to do with one prior :redneck: )..

So been looking around to see whats out there..

So he's 4'9" and skinny :redneck:

So whats a good sized quad for a kid that size?

Talk to Scott at work, he's got a few quads, maybe willing to part with them for the cost of getting his jeep running

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek: Won't that be a few years from now anyway...:eeek: :eeek: :eeek: Come Awn!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It already has. Kyle asked for a "mini buggy" years ago.

We had talked about doing a quad a while back but he just wasn't into it. He rode a big grizzly or something this weekend and now seems to think he needs huge.

So we just want to learn some more about different styles/sizes etc. It's been many years now since Michael had a quad.

400ex, cheap reliable, user friendly, fast, fun, and **** its a honda so no maintanence!!:awesomework:
For a light 4'9 kid who is inexperienced? 400 might be a tad overkill.

What was the bike the kid got to ride that got him interested? Might be a good place to start.

Well how old is he???? Cause he could be 4'9 today and in 6 month be 5" or bigger.

I would say a 400 would be the biggest I would go. . . That also really depends on if you are gonna go 2wheel drive or 4x4????? The 2 wheel will be alot snappier, more agile, and probably better for forest service roads and such. The 4x4 would be more comfortable, would have more metal and bracing incase he did wreck it, would also have the ability to put it in 4by instead of having to call dad to help him push it out of a mudhole, also it will have a slower topspeed, and he can follow mike around on the trails without a problem:awesomework:

Honda 400ex
Yamaha Raptor 350
Grizzley
or anything polaris

He will be 13 in Feb

Then I would go with a 350 raptor or bigger. . . . At that age they shoot up in height and weight in no time!! The key is finding a bike that isn't to much for him to start with, but at the same time allowing him to enjoy it for atleast a year before he feels he needs an upgrade:awesomework:

It depends on what kind of riding he wants to do also, a 4stroke woule be ideal along a 4x4 so with him learning he will have alot less problems all around.

I went through this myself when i got mine, I had been riding for a few years just never owned one, and when it came down to me makin a choice it took over 6months, but I got the fastest production quad at the time, good choice!!

It will be a 4 stroke for sure. Myself I would like to see him get a 4x4--so he can come and follow dad around :awesomework: I know my old quadracer 250 was WAY too much bike for me...

Well I had a ltz400 and it was an awsome quad.. You can set the throttle on any quad even if its not an option. It was fast but not fast enough for me I have a lt-r450 now and its the pooh! (no punn intended poohbair) The z400 is one of the best overall quads.. not the best at anything but good at everything.. But a utility quad in washington might be the way to go.. Just depends what kind of riding is going on. If you dont want your kid to outgrow it go big first and not reget going small later.. :cool:

It will be a 4 stroke for sure. Myself I would like to see him get a 4x4--so he can come and follow dad around :awesomework: I know my old quadracer 250 was WAY too much bike for me...

I have/learned on a honda TRX 125, it's a very fun quad, even now, it's still a lot of fun, i think before he goes, 4x4 he needs to jsut learn on a 2wd one, they're lighter, so when he does get stuck HE can get himself out, that is the most important thing....cus you wont be there watching him ALL THE TIME :; Plus it'll make him that much better a rider too!!! With as small as he is, a 250 in an older quad would be perfect, not a quadracer, but something like a older honda 250 or yamaha. they're pretty tame. But ya, if the bikes to heavy things can get ugly, especially if he flips it or rolls it over on himself, he needs to be albe to get the thing off of himself, with some effort...let's just hope it never happens...

I got my kid a CanAm 250 when he was 9. too big for him then, just right at 10 and now too small at 11.
It was a good ride 1st ride for him with auto F&R and water cooled. I'll prolly replace it with a 400 next year.
Last year pic.

Last edited: