• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The "powertrain"

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
What would you consider your perfect powertrain setup? And this has to be made up of stuff off rigs that came off the assembly line(but can use any adapters to adapt any stock parts)..

Myself:

I would go with 4.3(SCPI)--nv4500--toyota dual case--dana 300

Stock old chevy 1 ton non dually.
454, 400, 205, 14bolt, dana 60

or maybe a good manual tranny in the mix

i would go with a sprung uner dana 35/30, with a geo metro 3 cyl. and tranny

no, but really, what i want to do is buy a whole complete bronco or somthing like that and put all the drivetrain into my yj...:cool:

KarlVP said:
I've always wanted to take a YJ and put a honda civic body on it. :stirpot:

haha, that would be sweet, and lower it and put 20's on it

:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :kissmyass: :kissmyass:

Perfect?? Seriously...

There are lots of great components... Not that the 4.3 is one of them :flipoff:

OK how about... (5.7 / 5.0) + (NV4500 / T18 / NP435 / SM456) + [ (Toyota / NP231 ) ] + (Dana 300 / NP205)...

Choose your parts based on what's available, price, and to fit within the contraints of your rig... Any combination of the above parts would make a great setup.

For me, with a CJ5 with approximately stock WB, I think the "perfect" setup is (5.7 / 5.0) + T18 + Dana20. That's a very short setup with pretty good gear ratios and dirt cheap; no after market adapters needed.

Last edited:
CrustyJeep said:
Perfect?? Seriously...

There are lots of great components... Not that the 4.3 is one of them :flipoff:

OK how about... (5.7 / 5.0) + (NV4500 / T18 / NP435 / SM456) + [ (Toyota / NP231 / KluneV) ] + (Dana 300 / Atlas / NP205)...

Choose your parts based on what's available and price... Any combination of the above parts would make a great setup.

what stock aplication did the atlas or kluneV come in?

read the origional post :rolleyes:

oops can't read.. sheesh ya pick on me for the axles but don't see the tcase? :kissmyass: hmmm.. anything that will hold up to a LS7 and th400 then.

man.....

if you're sticking w/ only factory available stuff.....

I don't know how you could be choosing ANY chevy motor and it NOT be the new LS7......it weighs less than your 4.3, makes better than twice the power, and is factory dry-sump'd......come AWN....

from there....I dunno.....nv4500-203/205.......simple/easy/strong...

there's some other combo's I'd love to afford to try out that I'm sure could work really sweet...

the newer 5.4's in the Lightning's really get-it, and have a hell of a bottom end.....one of those in front of its factory auto tranny, in front of a 203/205 would be a helluva combo in something 3500-5000 lbs....(toy, scout, lwb jeep thing)

and, I've always wanted to get an old skool taurus SHO motor in front of some fast-close ratio 5 speed, in front of something like a D300 or Toy case and put it in my Samurai......that would scream in the sand.....
(or just a short-star $$$$$)

--B

On my CJ5 (or any real short wheelbase) AMC360 V8 engine / T18 trans / Scout D300 tcase. A very compact solution. Great gearing and no adapters between components.

On my YJ (or any longer wheelbase) AMC401 V8 engine / AMC TH400 trans / Advance Adapters (Atlas) tcase.

On my project in progress, Chevy 350 EFI V8 engine / GM TH400 trans / AA or STAK tcase

In my opinions only

A EFI small block V8 / non-computerized shifting automatic transmission, preferrably 4speed / aftermarket T case, preferrably 3 or 4 speed / Dana 60 alloy shafted axles, preferrably shaved case (think ProRock, etc)

In an all factory configuration,
Chevy 350 EFI (throttle body), TH400 , adapter, D300 with 4 to 1 gears and twin stick. D60 front. D60 rear.

And from an unlimited budget....
Then the LS7, etc....
T