• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The swa-wing

TITS! My only suggestion is bring the skid plate out to cover the aluminum so it slides better... Oh and go back to a shafty so I can beat you!
Seriously, nice chassis mang! :awesomework:

TITS! My only suggestion is bring the skid plate out to cover the aluminum so it slides better... Oh and go back to a shafty so I can beat you!
Seriously, nice chassis mang! :awesomework:

Hey Berto. if I had the means to I would have the material notched so the chassis sat into the **** plate with no alum to rub.

So as of late I have been slightly tweeking it. One thing I did do was finally find a happy medium on my tire wieght. I pulled 10 ouz out of the front and 4 out of the rear and still happy with how it works.

The one and only thing I was unhappy with was sharpreak overs. The chassis was not performing like I wanted and catching on the front edge at particular times. It still was a huge improvement over my earlier designs but still not perfect to my standards. Another aspect I was almost perfect 50/50 split which was not helping that much either.

So back to the drawing board and keeping many aspects of the chassis the same I implemented the improvements. I rolled the link mounts forward while retaining body placement the same. I also raised the forward lower link mount up and changed the leading edge slope of the chassis and skid plate. This time I also gave myself more options of link placement on the uppers.

swa-76.jpg

swa-77.jpg

Since I kept certain aspects of the chassis the same the electronics rolled right back into the chassis. Since I knew the lengths of the old links and knew exactly the change in the chassis making new lowers was a cinch to get a rough length. This time I just made straight front lowers (this came from allot of observation and watching other rigs) and made the rears not raise above the rear link mount.

swa-78.jpg

swa-79.jpg

Now the transition from the front diff to the rear diff is much better. One thing before you could hear the front edge of the chassis hit rocks as it went over breakovers and looking at the chassis now it should not be an issue.

swa-80.jpg

One thing I still have to do is some clearancing on the front lowers. Since the chassis is pretty narrow and the links are pretty short they have only a tad of binding but not enough to stop the articulation so its minimal.

I got it out on the rocks for testing and I am very happy with how it sits now and I can tell the revamp helped and now is working EXACTLY how I want it to..

I am also going to build new body plates because of the new shock location they mount near the bottom edge of it and I want more meat around that area. But I am happy and look forward to the comp this weekend.

Well I tore the rear axle back out and removed more off the top of the case for link clearance. I also shaved the bottom of the case and rounded corners. I also finally tossed the side cover and used tape (scotch 33) like I did the top. I also did the same thing to the front.

swa-81.jpg

swa-82.jpg

I went and revamped the side plates on the body for better shock placement and a little more material for strength. I ended up making a new top skin since it had to be a tad longer and the end angle was different.

I also went to a grey rear spring because I wanted a "tad" stiffer rear along with a little less canting of the shock compared to the front. That seemed to be the trick and seems to be working really good now.

I am also really liking the new weight bias on the wheels and actually got a chance to weigh the rig--comes in at 5lbs 14.3 ouz. I have never had my rig that light and yet still climb like it was heavy. Really liking it...

swa-83.jpg

swa-84.jpg

swa-85.jpg

So are you going to keep messing with it after your 1st place victory or you going to keep tinkering?

Haha. I think you need to build another crawler just to tinker with. My tinkering always ended up fawkin me up, I would tinker after every comp, it would get slightly better, until it would all blow up in face and then I would end up starting all over.

So I finally dug back into the car to do some more tweeking.

I decided to start with the rear to lighten it up and good thing as the drive pin at the drive gear was broken into 3 pieces,lol.

But I removed material on the outside of the tubes, drilled the inside of the tubes, removed some off the gearbox and I drilled all the gears.

swa-97.jpg

It started out at 303 grams and when done I got it down to 282 grams..

Next is the front.