• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Too big?

wagoneer

I was kinda hoping to get away with buying tires once so I planned to buy 37's right off. Would this be too much to run temporarily on stock Wagoneer axles? I plan on building in phases, first big pretty , mostly street rig. Then four link body trim off road only?

I ran 42's on a front waggy 44, ate alot of u joints but never had a catastrophic failure. Just know when to let off the skinny pedal!

ok ill bite

Define stock? Gear ratio? Ass-uming the waggy has the 44 front and rear? Are you planning on keeping these axles and upgrading them or upgrading to 1 tons someday?

How long is temporary? What will you be doing during this temp period of time? How much HP does your motor make? How heavy is your right foot?

I could make a dana 30 live on 49" iroks sitting in the garage.

Be spacific.

Even a stock dana 60 has weak little 30 spline outers and would easily break on 37s.

I ran 36" Iroks (which are 37" tall) on a 44 front and 8.8 in the rear and flogged it, you will be fine. :awesomework:

I ran 38 tsl sx's on a built waggy frt and 8.8 rr. No breakage but never ran long enough to truly test. Went to 1tons soon as i got the chance... A stock waggy axle holding up a heavy wagoneer body and frame on 37s. Id do it, then when u can afford the fancy things go for it. You'll figure it out :awesomework:

I've ran a built Waggy D44 housing with 37 Krawlers. Full chromoly shafts, 300M U-joints, etc. I've broke two axle shafts. Both inner and outer shafts are 30 splined shafts, takes custom (rear axle) Warn hubs.

The rig was driven aggressively, weight around 4000#. Detroit Lockers. V8 powered, with automatic trans, and low geared Tcase.

Have since built a ProRock 60 to replace it. Just haven't got around to installing the new housing.

The housing itself hasn't bent, nor have I broke a ring gear, pinion gear, or the Detroit. Have damaged the Warn hubs.

My normal adage: D44s are good UP TO 37s if you drive reasonably and install good quality D44 parts.

I ran heavy 36" TSL's on a wagoneer front D44 with a detroit and stock shafts and spicer joints. Tack welded the caps, adjusted the steering stops out a bit and never had a problem.

Do it, and spend your money wisely on upgrades when the time comes. First thing I would spend it on would be a regear. You're not going to like life with the stock gears that come in most wagoneers... probably 3.07's or 2.something's. Maybe 3.55's if you're lucky.

Wheel like a sissy yes, wheel hard plan on being "That Guy" that held everybody up that day. Been there done that, wish for moneys sake I would have listened.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments everyone, truth is, I was gonna do it anyhow just wanted to get input from folks who have done it. I'm hoping to go one ton next fall, In the process of swapping in a built 350 so the 44's aint gonna cut it for long anyhow.

decisions

I've got it narrowed down to a choice between The Goodyear wranglers with kevlar sidewalls or baja claw ttc's, any thoughts?

I've got it narrowed down to a choice between The Goodyear wranglers with kevlar sidewalls or baja claw ttc's, any thoughts?

What kind of wheeling? Something wrong with Iroks? Great tire, reasonable price and you can find them used. If you're going to tons, you'll want bigger tires. Just get anything cheap right now and save your money for the build.

You'll do fine with Kevlars, or Baja Claw TTCs.
You'll also do fine with BFG Krawlers and/or many Maxxis tires.

For what it's worth, around here, the Baja Claw TTCs are not as popular. Availabilty, resale, etc would all be better with the Goodyears.