• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow digger wont stop/turn

ibrokeit

Brock Higdon- Auburn, AL
2003 7.3 F250, 35's, 250,000 miles.

Been having some issues with my tow rig, which seems to have multiplied with my new 315/75R16's.

My truck has always been kind of a pain to turn the steering wheel.

I first started saying "ok-something is wrong" when I can barely get out of a parking spot. I have to keep a foot on the brake and a foot on the go pedal, giving it a little gas just to get the wheels to turn. But I was able to deal with that.

Now, when I try to stop any more than normal coming-to-a-stopsign speed, I continue to push the brake pedal but do not slow down any faster. Its gotten pretty scary. Whats even worse is trying to turn while coming to a faster-than-normal stop. The steering wheel will not move AT ALL.

I did a complete fluid flush last weekend with Mobil1 synthetic ATF fluid. That helped the steering *some*, but not much. Zero help for braking. In continuing the trend of throwing parts at it until I fix something, should I replace the pump or the hydroboost next?

Worth noting (or maybe not)-

Power steering pump is not whining.

When I flushed all the fluid this weekend, fluid only came out when pumping brakes and/or turning steering wheel.

wannabe said:
If it's hydro boost sounds like a power steering pump vanes getting wore out

This could very well be a possibility. I am assuming it is the original 12 year old, 250k mile power steering pump. Just don't want to pull it if thats not the issue.

If it's just weak and there is too much gap between the vanes and cylinder it probably wouldn't wine. Just be very weak. Thing about it like a engine. Vanes are the pistons and the cylinder is a cylinder lol

I would say it's the pump also could be a stuck pressure regulator or the pump is just wore out. I have a ford pump that came off my old cab truck if you want it.

al1tonyota said:
I would say it's the pump also could be a stuck pressure regulator or the pump is just wore out. I have a ford pump that came off my old cab truck if you want it.

Pretty sure they are different. Ill pick up a parts store pump this weekend and swap it out.

Just curious how you flushed the fluid? I put a steering sector on my dodge tow pig and bled the system on jack stands without it running and I think I got the pump due to air. Mine is hydro boost I have good brakes or good steering but not both at the same time.

Front axle in the air. Removed the return line from the hydroboost and put clear tube on it down to a dump bucket/catch pan. I had someone crank truck and constantly turn wheel left to right and pump brakes as I kept the reservoir full of fluid. Went through about 3.5 quarts of fluid this way. Hooked line back up then cranked truck again and added a bit more fluid as it pushed the air out of that line.

Old boss man of mine had for issue with his, had a steep driveway to back his boat up, hardly could make it happen when he needed to cut it sharp, he's also had 280000 or so. When it was time for some new treads he down sized, worked fine then. But id be willing to bet those trucks with the hydro boost need a pump in prime shape to handle the load of the bigger tire as well.