• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rigs : Put Up Or Shut Up

Not true...94.5-97 AA singles are 90cc injectors. 99.5-03 AD's are 130-140cc splits. I went with the splits because it was a fairly cheap upgrade. I paid $400 for the takeouts I have in it now and I still have my singles. Somewhere down the road I will send them in as cores for bigger and not have any down time. You are right, they do require more oil. I have a SD 17* pump on the way to run them better... As far as no more power.....It's a pretty big difference actually.

Edit: 97 California trucks had AB 120's splits as did early 99 trucks. AC's are 160cc single shots you can buy new but weren't offered in the SD lineup. Basically new stage 1's

Last edited:
The GB stuff, you can expect 260-280 rwhp depending on the dyno. Thier tunes are pretty conservitive.

The split shot single shot is a funny thing. IF your trying to get more HP for cheap, a set of working AD's from a SD is a decent upgrade. Add a custom chip and its real nice. But its sorta like tip toeing into the HP pool. Yes singles use less oil, so SD guys go to stage 2 single shots and see a big fuel improvement (more CC's) and can run it on the factory HPOS.

Yeah I gots 97 also.

my 2007 Nissan frontier 4x4 p/u has 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
261 hp @ 5,600 rpm
281 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm

What can you tow with it? A Radio Flyer...? :fawkdancesmiley: :haha: :haha:

Sorry, had to... :D :D :D

LOL
Its rated for 6500lbs towing and yes Ruby gets towed by it.
We have been over the 410 pass with Ruby on a uhaul trailer.
Now we flat tow Ruby without a problem, been down to Tillimuk and back.

my 2007 Nissan frontier 4x4 p/u has 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
261 hp @ 5,600 rpm
281 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm

lol...and it gets 4 mpg towing slowly over the passes.. I've got 212hp, but that's at 3,000rpm or less and 483 lb-ft of torque at the same or less.. and 7,000+ lbs of truck to keep the 4,000 lb jeep behind me.... not beside or in front of me or in the median.....:corn:

Edit: And mines at the rear wheels.....I'm guessing yours is at the flywheel?....

Last edited:
lol...and it gets 4 mpg towing slowly over the passes.. I've got 212hp, but that's at 3,000rpm or less and 483 lb-ft of torque at the same or less.. and 7,000+ lbs of truck to keep the 4,000 lb jeep behind me.... not beside or in front of me or in the median.....:corn:

Edit: And mines at the rear wheels.....I'm guessing yours is at the flywheel?....

actually gets about 15 towing over the hills.
Yes its a light weight but for us it does work and Ruby stays behind the truck.
I can only guess at the flywheel being that it is factory specs.

Factory specs are a far cry from what it'll do at the wheels. For a rough guesstamate subtract 15% for drivetrain loss.

I dont slow down for hills. Even when towing Jeepers singlewide...

oh no Porter is jealous of some MPG :haha:
Not at all, just pointing out that getting 15mpg towing with a gasser usually doesnt happen. I have never got those numbers in all my years of towing with gassers. Have towed with injected Chev small blocks(5.3, 5.7), and with Chev Big blocks 2wd and 4wd. Ususlly with a lesser powered tow rig your foot usually has to be on the floor on hills resulting in poor towing MPG. Maybe I am wrong, but I would have to see it to believe it. BTW my 06 CTD gets 15mpg towing.

yea 15 mpg while towing a jeep over passes aint gunna happen..

and btw, one of the engineers here at work tows a flatfender with his early 80's bone stock datsun pickup.. Yea it does it, he goes a whopping 25 mph over the pass... I don't think stopping is an option.

dont no about towing but around town i get 22 23 mpg thanks to my dodge my dodge my dodge

Not true...94.5-97 AA singles are 90cc injectors. 99.5-03 AD's are 130-140cc splits. I went with the splits because it was a fairly cheap upgrade.

I see what you did now. My point was why change from singles to splits when it would make more sence to just get bigger singles but that would cost more $ than those take outs.:awesomework:

I see what you did now. My point was why change from singles to splits when it would make more sence to just get bigger singles but that would cost more $ than those take outs.:awesomework:

And I will likely go back to singles when time and money permits, but for now the AD's work well for cheaper power in the short run. And my tranny is staying together for now (knock on wood)

LOL
Its rated for 6500lbs towing and yes Ruby gets towed by it.
We have been over the 410 pass with Ruby on a uhaul trailer.
Now we flat tow Ruby without a problem, been down to Tillimuk and back.

I saw you flattowing out of reiter on saturday. And I'm sorry but thats just not even close to safe. How does it stop? What if u have to stop fast, especially on a down hill? I've towed a 4runner on a dolly behind my old f250 before, and it scared the **** out of me when i had to slam on my brakes. even with my truck weighing thousands of pounds more. Just some food for thought for your safety and other peoples.