• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy Story

Ok so I finally got some time to work on the truck, rigged up a spare fuel pump and pumped 11 gal of fuel out of it into cans to drop the tank. Turns out my tank has a drain plug, kinda cool but makes a ****in mess cause gas dont drain like oil. Anyway, got the tank unbolted and dropped. Opened up the pickup tube hole and that thing is clean and nice inside, pickup is not plugged, nothing! Well ****... I start thinking why the heck would this thing act like its out of gas? I took all the smog **** off the truck and (not sure why) capped the fuel line that goes to the charcoal can. I guess I didnt put it all together tell now and looking at the tank with 3 ports on it thats the vent! F me!!! So the tank was not getting air, im a dumb ass. What a waist of time. :mad:

Ok so I finally got some time to work on the truck, rigged up a spare fuel pump and pumped 11 gal of fuel out of it into cans to drop the tank. Turns out my tank has a drain plug, kinda cool but makes a ****in mess cause gas dont drain like oil. Anyway, got the tank unbolted and dropped. Opened up the pickup tube hole and that thing is clean and nice inside, pickup is not plugged, nothing! Well ****... I start thinking why the heck would this thing act like its out of gas? I took all the smog **** off the truck and (not sure why) capped the fuel line that goes to the charcoal can. I guess I didnt put it all together tell now and looking at the tank with 3 ports on it thats the vent! F me!!! So the tank was not getting air, im a dumb ass. What a waist of time. :mad:

Leave the smog stuff on with the stock carb on you'll love life

Went snow wheeling in the truck Sat night... :stirpot:

I got my eye on a complete year 2000 4runner rear axle with elocker. All you Yota guys out there, is this a bolt in swap for the most part or is it more work then its worth? reason I ask is I can get the entire axle for less then a air locker for the axle I have.

Went snow wheeling in the truck Sat night... :stirpot:

I got my eye on a complete year 2000 4runner rear axle with elocker. All you Yota guys out there, is this a bolt in swap for the most part or is it more work then its worth? reason I ask is I can get the entire axle for less then a air locker for the axle I have.

JUNK. The elocker itself is worth about 2-300 if good.

The ARB is the best option if you like open diff or spool manners. A detroit is a cheaper, simpler, friendly option IMO.

The 4 runner rear elocker axle is the bastard of all elocker axles, IF i remember right. The shafts are about 1/2 inch too short and they like to bust side gears when wheeled. People have had good luck by narrowing them about 1/2 per side. Lots of info on pirate about the problem.

Elockers SUCK. I just got done fixing mine.

Understood, I did more reading after I posted here. Ok, ill order an ARB and some 4.88s. I gotta get rid of the 3.90 gears now that the 5 speed is going in and 33s are on.

I dont wheel this thing hard, its just a fun little adventure rig for me and the wife and dog. The locker and winch and other stuff is more for safety/ability to get home cause we like to go out alone.

Oh and I have been DDing this thing, I sware I have never had so much fun driving then in this thing... love this truck.

Hate to beat a dead horse on this 8" locker thing but as far as I know there are 3 air locker options for the toy now. TJM, ARB and Yukon. I get a deal on both ARB and TJM, and the cheapest being TJM. Are they worth the savings for my aplication or should I just suck it up and buy the ARB?

You will need a V6 diff to put it in.

The ARB? Can't I just get the conversion bearings? I guess I really don't understand all the differences between the V6 and 4cyl 3rds.

My plan was to buy the ARB and conversion bearings and 4cyl 4.88 gears. Will this all fit together in a 4cyl 3rd?

Last edited:
I just though the new ARBs required V6 diff. I very well may be wrong. I'm sure someone like Chop Shop could tell you for sure.

Nah, just need the 45mm to 50mm carrier bearing conversions and you are good. I got it all ordered up today, but I didnt get the ARB. I chose to go with the TJM. I hear lots of good things about them and the fact that they fix the ARB short comings as far as air leaks go and the price was cheaper and they where in stock. We will see how it goes. Ill post some install pics and we will have to do some testing soon!!! :awesomework:

Most folks spending about $1000 on a gear/locker combo will take advantage of the larger pinion bearings and stronger case casting of the v6 diff rather than invest all that in an older 4cyl model.

Most folks spending about $1000 on a gear/locker combo will take advantage of the larger pinion bearings and stronger case casting of the v6 diff rather than invest all that in an older 4cyl model.

For me and this truck I will never take it to the limit where that added strength is needed. It's worked for over 30 years with 4cyl pinions in it.

Ok, got back from a 2 week long trip and all these goods where waiting for me. I got a few small project to finish up in the shop in order to make room to start installing all this stuff. I still need to get a new clutch and a few gallons of gear oil but for the most part its all here.

Attachments

• toygears.jpg
    toygears.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 136

Latest posts