• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota E-Locker?

Jay Luke

Is anyone on here running a E-locker 3rd in their early stock yota housings. I'm about to swap mine in and would like any input on this conversion. I have the wiring schematics already. I'm looking for more real world input. Strength, bitch to put in? Easy install? Reliability?...ect...tips...

Thanks for any input:beer:

Edit: "Helpful input" :;

I run one in the front of my rig.

So far so good. The mods to the housing where not that hard.

I run a Hipinion Elocker up front. My roomate runs a lowpinion elocker up front. I have installed several elockers for guys.

DO NOT hobo wire it. Guys come in here and think they can just wire up the motor. You NEED to wire it properly with the stock limit switches.

Even locking them in on the bench with a 12v drill battery will wedge/bind them up and get stuck. Then you will have to dissassemble the actuator, reindex it and reassemble the servo.

If wired proper;y and not "crash locking" it, then it should provide years of service.

Just have to get into the mindset of turning them on/off early. They are not fast engage/dissengagers...

I always lock mine while rolling back off an obsticle that denied me in three wheel. That way it locks in while coasting backwards with no load on it.

Wiring it up is the hard part, do some research before you apply power to it.

Mine uses the limit switches and a couple of relays.

So far it works very well.

Its a low pinion right now, when I find a good deal on a high pinion I will switch

Thanks guys. I've got most of the wiring. But non of the relays or the factory switch. I'll have to round that up...call toyota?

Thanks guys. I've got most of the wiring. But non of the relays or the factory switch. I'll have to round that up...call toyota?

All you need is the harness for the locker to framerail. The stock switch and wiring inside are worthless in a custom application. Way to much work.

If you need a harness, just let me know. I can build ya a dual relay "plug and play" harness that is easier to install than an old Kraco.:redneck:

Pook had one in rear the f-toy.....made me mad sometimes (inconsistent engaging, had to have the front wheels straight:eeek:) but overall worked fine for us.

WAAAAY better than what you had there.:;

Damn. I guess if I get off my ass and do very little research I'd have no trouble. I found on inchworms site the entire wiring kit, studs, all for under 120 bucks! Done & DONE! last question...

Do I keep the High pinion with Detroit in the front and run the E-Locker in the rear.

Or do I put the E-locker up front and put the High pinion in the rear with the Detroit remaining out back? I think I know the answer already but whats your opinion...

Damn. I guess if I get off my ass and do very little research I'd have no trouble. I found on inchworms site the entire wiring kit, studs, all for under 120 bucks! Done & DONE! last question...

Do I keep the High pinion with Detroit in the front and run the E-Locker in the rear.

Or do I put the E-locker up front and put the High pinion in the rear with the Detroit remaining out back? I think I know the answer already but whats your opinion...

keep the hipinion up front.

I can do ya a harness for over half what Inchworm wants. The inchwork kit (IIRC) only uses a DPDT switch and no relays. I would prefer the relay route. Switches only work so many times without relays taking the load away from them.

keep the hipinion up front.

I can do ya a harness for over half what Inchworm wants. The inchwork kit (IIRC) only uses a DPDT switch and no relays. I would prefer the relay route. Switches only work so many times without relays taking the load away from them.

Cool Thanks man. I will contact you when I get back in town and get this part of my "Evolution" project going:awesomework:

And yeas. E locker is going in the rear for sure. Cutting brakes will be added and I will enjoy almost having front dig:redneck::awesomework::cool::beer:

Jason,
I have been crashlocking my ARB's for almost 10 years without issue....just a thought I can see if scott can hook U up

hey jay, if you havent already sold the detroit from the rear ill take it. Let me know and i can get you money.