• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota pwr steering pump, ram assist, drilled steering box & full hydro questions...

rooinater

so, my power steering pump is going bad and was leaking real bad the last time i ran the truck... so i'm looking into replacing it while i'm building the truck... I was looking at the trail gear power steering pump and cooler kit. i know it will have enough power to run the hyd assist when install that too, but will it have enough output to run a fully hydraulic steering system 2 or 3 years down the road?

who knows a good place to get your steering box drilled for hydraulic assist? don't really feel like paying 400 bucks for a rebuilt steering box :eeek: or drilling it myself, so i'm looking for a qualified person that drills out the steering box for hyd assist, and can probably do it in the next month or so.

Save some cash and grab this pump setup.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630765

Drilling your box is SUPER easy to do. I don't have the link handy from PBB but do a quick search and you'll find it easy enough.

I'm running full hydro off of a stock yota pump drilled and shimmed with no issues so I can't see why a saginaw pump wouldn't work.

i've heard a few people mention that it's real easy to mess up drilling the steering box... but if i can find good enough directions that i feel comfortable doing it, i'll give it a shot, but don't have cash to replace a part, that's not on my lists of upgrades... especially since i already have the steering box... and paid for it once already...

that pump seems interesting enough to look into. as long as i have enough pressure to keep the lag out of the steering with the hyd assist, and later full hyd. if i'm going to look into saving that much cash... i should look into an upgraded pwr steering res. and steering ram... any good options or company to look into?

i've heard a few people mention that it's real easy to mess up drilling the steering box... but if i can find good enough directions that i feel comfortable doing it, i'll give it a shot, but don't have cash to replace a part, that's not on my lists of upgrades... especially since i already have the steering box... and paid for it once already...

that pump seems interesting enough to look into. as long as i have enough pressure to keep the lag out of the steering with the hyd assist, and later full hyd. if i'm going to look into saving that much cash... i should look into an upgraded pwr steering res. and steering ram... any good options or company to look into?
The only way to really mess up a box is if you can't run a drill. It's a pretty easy process

yeah, read the directions on the marlin board yesterday. way easier than I thought. i'll definitely drill it myself. very interested about that saginaw pump. cause I do have to replace the pwr steering pump anyhow. and more pwr at lower rpm's the better. especially at that price. just need to find a ram setup cheap and i'll be on the way. I know tg's is only 200... i'll have to look up psc and locate a few others.

yeah, read the directions on the marlin board yesterday. way easier than I thought. i'll definitely drill it myself. very interested about that saginaw pump. cause I do have to replace the pwr steering pump anyhow. and more pwr at lower rpm's the better. especially at that price. just need to find a ram setup cheap and i'll be on the way. I know tg's is only 200... i'll have to look up psc and locate a few others.

I did one on toyotanuts rig--worked out really good. One thing about a saginaw pump--they flow more and have the ability to put out more pressure than the pos toy pump...

thanks guys this thread has been extremely useful! thanks white trash! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: so i'll definately be going to hydro assist now that it is easily put in my budget! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

what do you think about this ram instead of the one that guy used in that hyd assist cheap post?

the only thing it doesn't say what size the fittings are.
pSWVLCYLC.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
Double acting
Bore x stroke 1-1/2" x 6"
PSI max. 3,000
Rod dia. 1"

Ports SAE 6
Retracted length 13-1/4"
Shpg. 7 lbs.

END MOUNTINGS
Rod end swivel-ball
Ball width 1"
Ball O.D. 2"
Pin hole 0.75"

Base end swivel-ball
Ball width 1"
Ball O.D. 2"
Pin hole 0.75"

instead of this one that he used
p9-4410C.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
Double Acting
Bore/Stroke 1 1/2" x 6"
2,000 PSI max
Rod dia 3/4"

Ports 3/8" NPT
Retracted Length 11 1/2"
Shpg. 9 lbs.

END MOUNTINGS
Rod End Crosstube
Crosstube width 1-1/4"
Pin hole 3/4"

Base End Crosstube
Crosstube width 2"
Pin hole 3/4"

That top ram wouldn't have much help pulling the rod back into the cylinder. With only 1/4" of volume around the rod it'd be a usless piggy. Going the other way it'd be fine though as you'd be filling the whole 1 1/2" cylinder.

That top ram wouldn't have much help pulling the rod back into the cylinder. With only 1/4" of volume around the rod it'd be a usless piggy. Going the other way it'd be fine though as you'd be filling the whole 1 1/2" cylinder.

at a loss of why it'd be useless?... both are 1/2" cylinders with a 6" stroke and double acting. the bottom one is the one that the guy in the thread used. the biggest differance is the top one is a 1" rod while the bottom is a 3/4" rod and the fittings on the top one is SAE6 (honestly don't know what that means exactly in size) and the bottom fittings are 3/8"

The fact that the rod is 1/4'' larger diameter makes a big difference in how much power the cylinder has. The more volume needing to be filled the more power you get out of the cylinder. Its all about balancing the pressure vs ram size. If you have a small pump you can get away with it if you have a larger ram but at the cost of speed in the steering. Same goes for having a monster pump. You can run a smaller ram and it'll be super fast steering with lots of power but it'll be twitchy most of the time.

The difference n the fitting is the top one has -6 jic while the bottom one most likely has 3/8" female pipe thread.

I have used that bottom ram before--did fine. Granted the mounting sucks and I welded a bung to the housing side with a hiem...

ok, so for super fast and easy steering, go with the option the other guy did and also the modified saginaw steering pump. gotcha, i did avionics, not hydraulics while i was in the marine corp. i guess i need some hydraulics for dummies... thank you. i just liked the mounting options with using the heim style joints. cause i really didn't like the way that guy mounted his in that thread...

I have used that bottom ram before--did fine. Granted the mounting sucks and I welded a bung to the housing side with a hiem...

so you basically just welded a threaded tube to the side of one end and screwed in a heim? just one side, any pics of mod? should i use bushings of some sort in the holes, probably, but another thing to source...