• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Welder

I have been bouncing the same idea around also but with an old Ford externally regulated Alt. [just haven't got around to it yet]

Awesome! I've been doing some research since I picked up my ready welder... And I'm hearing that DC current welders are the sh!t. The quality of the weld, and capabilities of the welder are exceptional.

I'm by no means an expert on the matter... But I like what I'm reading.

Wonder what the voltage output of the alternator really is... The higher you can get the DC voltage, the thicker you can weld... Example... My ready welder says I can do thin plate at 12v... Up to 1/2 plate at 24v... And up to 3/4 plate at 36v... And that is rated at a single pass weld.

My fear would be heat buildup on that setup. I think there is a reason Premier does there the way they do with the rectifier mounted remotely where it can get some air over it.

Another down side with that setup is most folks are pretty restricted in room to run a second alt.

Awesome! I've been doing some research since I picked up my ready welder... And I'm hearing that DC current welders are the sh!t. The quality of the weld, and capabilities of the welder are exceptional.

I'm by no means an expert on the matter... But I like what I'm reading.

Wonder what the voltage output of the alternator really is... The higher you can get the DC voltage, the thicker you can weld... Example... My ready welder says I can do thin plate at 12v... Up to 1/2 plate at 24v... And up to 3/4 plate at 36v... And that is rated at a single pass weld.

I'm horrible with voltage stuff and this is all new to me. I'm going to do some research and talk to some electrician people i know and see what they say. i like how using a hand throttle on the motor allows you to dial it in... any one way or another it seems like neat stuff... i think the hardest part is finding a home for the second alternator...

My fear would be heat buildup on that setup. I think there is a reason Premier does there the way they do with the rectifier mounted remotely where it can get some air over it.

Another down side with that setup is most folks are pretty restricted in room to run a second alt.

the space thing is very true but i do have some room to work with. as far as the rectifier... im going to have to figure out what that is first...:redneck:

I also forgot the diode trio....

i saw those in the plans and kinda get what those are about..

the other thing that throws me for a loop is the fact that they say you can run some power tools at higher RPM'S:corn: