• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Traveling to Ireland/ Mainland Europe

ibrokeit

Brock Higdon- Auburn, AL
I just booked plane tickets for the wife and I to Ireland for August 3-27 as a graduation present for myself. We plan on spending about 2 weeks or so traveling by rail around Europe. Anybody ever traveled Europe by rail? Any advice in general?

:driving:

Been around Germany and Switzerland...the train system was somewhat difficult there compared to Japan....the purchasing system and timing of the trains what aggravating at best.

Japan arrived on the second by the second...

Enjoy the trip because the land over in Europe is beautiful...

I lived in Germany for 3 years, I suggest Heidelberg Germany, Strasbourg France, Milan Italy (then take day trips to Venice and Rome), Monte Carlo, and Barcelona. Stay away from Paris and London. Too many Muzzies and just generally dirty cities.

There is so much to see in Europe overall, that it is hard to go wrong. If you can avoid doing the standard tourist group you will enjoy your trip a lot more and get to see things that you would not otherwise. When I lived in Germany I stopped at a small town for a beer and checked out a church that was built before the United States was founded and still had bullet holes in it from WWII.

I wanna bet on a hound to catch a hare (coursing) in an open field only I want to bet a caravan with periwinkle blue drapes. Of course hoping I won't get swindled by a bare knuckle boxing champion who also happens to be a pikey......

Ah Europe

LightBnDr said:
I wanna bet on a hound to catch a hare (coursing) in an open field only I want to bet a caravan with periwinkle blue drapes. Of course hoping I won't get swindled by a bare knuckle boxing champion who also happens to be a pikey......

Ah Europe

She wants the hector two roof lights, the stylish ash-framed furniture and the scatter cushions with the matching shag pile covering. And she's terrible partial to the periwinkle blue.

kmcminn said:
Personally I would not go with all the radical stuff going on in Europe.

Wow...

Come to Europe man, you gonna enjoy your stay.

Monaco is really nice, but be prepared to spend a lot there, everything is amazingly expensive. Nice and Cannes (where the movie festival is held) are really nice too.

Napoly is great if you want to see old Roman ruins and remains of Pompei.

I'm half french / half italian and spent a bunch of time in Spain, if you have any questions about those places, just ask.

5BrothersFabrication said:
She wants the hector two roof lights, the stylish ash-framed furniture and the scatter cushions with the matching shag pile covering. And she's terrible partial to the periwinkle blue.
I knew after I read your. 1 uppers that you were a crazy MFer. Lol

Good on ya for being able to quote it from memory!!

Re: Re: Traveling to Ireland/ Mainland Europe

johneddie said:
Don't stay in that "Hostel" where they kidnap you and auction you off to psychotic rich people... :eek:
Lol my mental picture of Europe is that of what was portrayed in Hostel and the Taken movies...funny how movies can do that, although I know it's probably very far from accurate.

Enjoy and take plenty pics, always wanted to travel to Europe and hopefully will some day. I wanna go to a legit Rammstein concert and get hammer drunk drinking beer from a boot! Haha

Keep track of what you spend. I've always wanted to go, but you naturally assume it isn't affordable. I'm curious what it would actually cost to go for a couple weeks.

sleepsontoilet said:
Keep track of what you spend. I've always wanted to go, but you naturally assume it isn't affordable. I'm curious what it would actually cost to go for a couple weeks.

Get a Delta Skymiles American express. We replaced our debit card with it. Between our spending and making a few big purchases for work and getting reimbrsed, in 8 months I had enough miles to pay for both of our tickets. Would have been over $3000 cash.

sleepsontoilet said:

molaugh Reminds me of the time I went to Italy before the Euro. I bought gas, it was like 50,000,000,000 lira (exaggerating), same for a pizza, a hotel room, shopping, I had NO IDEA what the exchange rate was and didn't keep a balance. I left Heidelberg with ~$3-4,000 in the bank, came back damn near bone dry. I had THOUGHT I only spent about $1k on the trip...
:****:

Bebop said:
....I'm half french / half italian and spent a bunch of time in Spain, if you have any questions about those places, just ask.

Do you live in Europe now? Or in the states? I could use a place to crash for a night :grinpimp:

Here is where I am at so far. I think I have decided to do individual train tickets instead of rail pass, and try to take overnight trains when possible to save on bnb/hostels. Any recommendations? Keep the map in mind. By that I mean Spain is probably out as it will be out of the way from Italy, and we would rather see Italy than Spain. Also not stuck with these days. Open to suggestions.

Total trip-22 days

Day 1-Arrive in Ireland

Day 2-Ireland

Day 3-Ireland

Day 4-Ireland

Day 5-Ireland

Day 6-Fly to London

Day 7-London, late rail to Paris

Day 8-Paris

Day 9-Paris, Late rail to Switzerland (Zurich?)

Day 10-Switzerland

Day 11-Venice

Day 12-Venice

Day 13-Rome

Day 14-Rome

Day 15-

Day 16-

Day 17-

Day 18-

Day 19-Ireland

Day 20-Ireland

Day 21-Ireland

Day 22-Leave Ireland

ibrokeit said:
Do you live in Europe now? Or in the states? I could use a place to crash for a night :grinpimp:

Here is where I am at so far. I think I have decided to do individual train tickets instead of rail pass, and try to take overnight trains when possible to save on bnb/hostels. Any recommendations? Keep the map in mind. By that I mean Spain is probably out as it will be out of the way from Italy, and we would rather see Italy than Spain. Also not stuck with these days. Open to suggestions.

Total trip-22 days

Day 1-Arrive in Ireland

Day 2-Ireland

Day 3-Ireland

Day 4-Ireland

Day 5-Ireland

Day 6-Fly to London

Day 7-London, late rail to Paris

Day 8-Paris

Day 9-Paris, Late rail to Switzerland (Zurich?)

Day 10-Strasbourg

Day 11-Heidelberg

Day 12-Switzerland

Day 13-Venice

Day 14-Venice

Day 15-Rome

Day 16-Rome

Day 17-Black Forest

Day 18-Black Forest

Day 19-Ireland

Day 20-Ireland

Day 21-Ireland

Day 22-Leave Ireland

Just a thought. Southern Germany, Bavaria, Strasbourg is fantastic, not to be missed. One day I'll go back, I absolutely LOVED it there. Besides, Strasbourg and Heidelberg is on the way, and Black Forest is on the way back.