• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Traveling to Ireland/ Mainland Europe

ibrokeit said:
I should have mentioned. We are planning on traveling to the farthest away place last then flying back to Dublin.

Ah, then it's not too far to hit the Black Forest and Bavarian Alps on the way to Switzerland. I lived in Heidelberg for 3 years and drove down to that area frequently. It was heaven to me. Very peaceful and beautiful.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Ah, then it's not too far to hit the Black Forest and Bavarian Alps on the way to Switzerland. I lived in Heidelberg for 3 years and drove down to that area frequently. It was heaven to me. Very peaceful and beautiful.

The only problem is, we are traveling by rail. So we are pretty much limited to the city/city center.

Updated list. The places with ? means I'm not sure on WHERE in that place. It has to be somewhere I can get to easily by rail, and that has plenty to do on foot.

Total trip-22 days

Day 1-Arrive in Ireland

Day 2-Ireland

Day 3-Ireland

Day 4-Ireland

Day 5-Ireland

Day 6-Fly to London

Day 7-London, late rail to Paris

Day 8-Paris

Day 9-Paris, Late rail to Germany somewhere??

Day 10-Germany?

Day 11-Germany?

Day 12- Germany?

Day 13-Switzerland?

Day 14-Switzerland?

Day 15-Venice

Day 16-Venice

Day 17-Rome

Day 18-Rome

Day 19-Ireland

Day 20-Ireland

Day 21-Ireland

Day 22-Fly home

Garmisch is where me and the ex went falling, some call it "skiing" or "snowboarding". :****: Also a shitload to do in town, although I chose to chill with a view and all the White Russians I could drink. It is in SE Germany, so you will travel almost directly south through Austria (also gorgeous) to Venice. Also something to check out in the area is Schloss Neuschwanstein (the castle Walt Disney modeled his after), and surrounding town. I included a link below to help you get there, also has a pic of the castle.

http://www.raileurope.com/blog/9702-neuschwanstein-visit-the-castle-from-munich

But if the Swiss Alps are a can't miss for you, the Black Forest is in SW Germany, RIGHT next to Strasbourg. There's Strasbourg, then the entirety of the Black Forest, which are FULL of World War history. Just check the magic google box for locations. After that, just head south into Switzerland. Both times I went through Switzerland was at night, clear, and full moon. One of the most beautiful things I've seen at night.

Hope this helps.

Got to go to Ireland when I was 10. Got to kiss the Blarney Stone, had a feast in a castle one night, got to see the castle that was my families. Also got to see the coasts around Ireland, genuine Irish pub dinner, and watched Riverdance while there.

I was not prepared for how green, foggy, or rainy it would be there. Also, in Ireland the livestock have right of ways while on the roads.

Buy a Canadian Passport cover and use it. You may think this is a strange post, but it can be life saving. As well, people overseas stamping your book will look at you more as a seasoned traveler.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Buy a Canadian Passport cover and use it. You may think this is a strange post, but it can be life saving. As well, people overseas stamping your book will look at you more as a seasoned traveler.

Please, explain. You are saying that its really that much of a worry of an American being targeted vs. a Canadian, eh?

ridered3 said:
Got to go to Ireland ashen I was 10. Got to kiss the Blarney Stone, had a feast in a castle one night, got to see the castle that was my families. Also got to see the coasts around Ireland, genuine Irish pub dinner, and watched Riverdance while there.

I was not prepared for how green, foggy, or rainy it would be there. Also, in Ireland the livestock have right of ways while on the roads.

Just got back from Ireland Friday, was there for 2 weeks for work.

We went to Dublin, toured original Jameson facility, and Guinness Storehouse, then to Cliffs of Moher, and went north into Burren. Galway is really nice we heard and Doolin, neither of which we had time to do as we were there on business. Bunratty Castle does a cool dinner with festivities, heard they'll even lock up the mouthiest person at the table in the dungeon. lol Blarney Castle is pretty cool to walk around and check everything out, didn't kiss the stone as I don't care to have The Gift of Eloquence if I did believe in that stuff. There is a bunch more to do besides that in the warmer months.

Frequented plenty of pubs, plenty of traditional Irish dinners. It was a great experience.

croes said:

We went to Dublin, toured original Jameson facility, and Guinness Storehouse, then to Cliffs of Moher, and went north into Burren. Galway is really nice we heard and Doolin, neither of which we had time to do as we were there on business. Bunratty Castle does a cool dinner with festivities, heard they'll even lock up the mouthiest person at the table in the dungeon. lol Blarney Castle is pretty cool to walk around and check everything out, didn't kiss the stone as I don't care to have The Gift of Eloquence if I did believe in that stuff. There is a bunch more to do besides that in the warmer months.

Frequented plenty of pubs, plenty of traditional Irish dinners. It was a great experience.

Awesome. I am pretty much leaving our Ireland travels up to the people we are staying with there. They are some friends of ours that are from there/been there all of their life.

croes said:

So since I couldn't remember the exact names, as Croes said the Cliffs of Moher was the coast I referenced. Also Bunratty Castle was the feast we went to. When we went, they locked my uncle up in the dungeon during the dinner.

Also when we went to the Blarney Stone, they didn't have a "catch fence" under you. Either the employee helped to hold you or you fell to your death...pansies.

Targeting Americans over Canadians, 100%.

People are just more cordial to Canadians. I've been to a lot of the countries you shouldn't and connected through European countries on the way. One of the guys I was with was Canadian and they treated him a lot better than they did me. I borrowed his passport cover when we hit Amman, Jordan and the results were noticeable. Guy at the terminal desk said it was a smart bet to keep that cover and not to open my passport until it was required. Each and every stop after that was well received and I got a lot of smiles and comments on the cover.

People don't like Americans around the world. People do like our money though. When was the last time you read about a huge terrorist plot to kill all the Canadians? How many Canadian journalists go missing?

I won't leave this country without the cover again. thumb.gif

Check out some episodes of Rick Steves Europe before you go he has great insight on what to do, eat, stay on the cheap, and how to make travel easier.

Watch the roads in Ireland you should be arriving around Tire/Road Safety Week I lost a tire being super careful and met a lady in a bar one night who lost there at the Rings of Kerry.

Well after Gettin to know U a lil.. U def have nothing to worry about as far as them kidnapping you in the human trafficking thing thats for sure. FAWK wat a mistake that would be. I would actually feel sorry for them in that case. :Joc:

Latest posts