• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tread Lightly Video

Never seen the video until just now. Lil creepy for some reason to me but Got me thinkin , I could not agree more with staying away from mud holes!. :****: Mr John, do You happen to know the narrator?

Thanks for posting this John. Good reminders, especially for us in the soggy southeast. Most of the areas we have easy access to in NE FL & SE GA are often under water and it makes using the basic principles that much more important.

This is confusing me. I've always understood that if the trail has a mud hole, then GO through it. DO NOT go around it. And in fact he even states, "STAY ON THE TRAIL"... so if he is going to specify both in the same video, then he needs to clarify what to do when you get to a mud hole and there is no way around it. Surely the right thing to do is to go through it. Right? Surely it isn't to widen the trail like we all have seen happen. Curious about that. What is right?

LandSpeeder said:
This is confusing me. I've always understood that if the trail has a mud hole, then GO through it. DO NOT go around it. And in fact he even states, "STAY ON THE TRAIL"... so if he is going to specify both in the same video, then he needs to clarify what to do when you get to a mud hole and there is no way around it. Surely the right thing to do is to go through it. Right? Surely it isn't to widen the trail like we all have seen happen. Curious about that. What is right?

Jump it.

Duh. :woot:

LandSpeeder said:

I inserted the RED for emphasis. Best in this situation, to go through the mud hole, and not widen the trail.

On the TreadLightly.org web site, I found the following:

Tread Principles

Travel Responsibly on land by staying on designated roads, trails and area. Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails. Cross streams only at designated fords. when possible, avoid wet, muddy trails. On water, stay on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.

Respect the Rights of Others including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers and others so they can enjoy their recreational activities undsiturbed. Leave gates as you found them. Yield right of way to those passing your or going uphill. On water, respect anglers, swimmers, skiers, boaters, divers and those on or near shore.

Educate Yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies. Plan for your trip, take recreation skills classes and know how to operate your equipment safely.

Avoid Sensitive Areas on land such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams. Stay on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitats and sensitive soils from damage. Don't disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites. On water, avoid operating your watercraft in shallow waters or near shorelines at high speeds.

Do Your Part by modeling appropriate behavior, leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species and repairing degraded areas.

Good refresher video... I laughed pretty hard when he said "Creek beds are NOT a place to have tires spinning!" and then pointed at the little girl in the front... Like she has a 500hp bouncer destroying the creeks or something... :****: