• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Truck Drives off mountain from String Trail (4W309)

Ceg

Truck Drives off mountain from String Trail (4W309)

Manastash Ridge, Washington -
On August 8th, 2009 a guy decides to drive his truck off the 4W309 trail on the ridge to get to the lower part of 4W309 which he could see from the top. This is what we were told by the people in the other rig with them we met earlier on 4W330. They were on their way to look for Search & Recue and had a flat and had to borrow a jack.

Some quad riders in the area where there helping by the time we got there. The quad riders said the driver was in pain but could walk around. The passenger was conscious but could not move. We stayed to help until the Search & Recue got there. We had to guide the helicopter in by phone. The Search & Recue and Forest Rangers on the ground showed up as the helicopter was landing.

We do not know how this story ended. We just hope for the best.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I can never remember the trail numbers---but thats the trail thats above the 4x4xnw rock garden? That trail continues to the top of the ridge and at the Y--if you were to go left you would go to the west side of rocky sadle? And I right in my thinking?

Heading east at the Y, to the right is Tip Over AKA Rocky Saddle, to the left you go to the trail below (you can see in the pictures) which takes to to Shoestring which has a newer Rock garden Trail.

Wow, looks like they are lucky to be alive....I'm not 100% sure Mike, but I think your right...

Hmm... I think I recognize that truck....

Hope everything turns out ok for everyone involved. Scary.

[EDIT]: It's a different gray Toyota with green exo that I've seen runnin around Wenatchee.

Last edited:
Wow, scary. So if I understand, they drove off the trail where Ceg took the pics from intentionally to get to the bottom quicker? Even from the pics you can tell how steep that is and I know the camera doesn't show incline very well. What were they thinking?

Wow, scary. So if I understand, they drove off the trail where Ceg took the pics from intentionally to get to the bottom quicker?
They drove off to the left of where I was standing looking off. Yes they were taking a short cut.

What were they thinking?
As they started rolling I would think it was something like, "Oh ****!"

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/08/09/man-injured-when-truck-rolls-down-cliff

POSTED ON Sunday, August 09, 2009 AT 09:43PM

Man injured when truck rolls down cliff

Yakima Herald-Republic

ELLENSBURG, Wash. -- A 25-year-old Woodinville man was seriously injured after the truck he was in rolled off a cliff near Ellensburg on Saturday afternoon.

Authorities believe alcohol was a factor in the accident, which took place on a rock slide outside the Manastash Campground in Shoestring Ridge.

The passenger, Mark Olliver, was in satisfactory condition at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center late Sunday evening, hospital officials said.

Authorities have yet to identify the driver, who they say boasted that he could go down the steep rock slide and then climb back up, according to the news release from Kittitas County Sheriff's Office.

Right after starting down, the front end of the truck caught a rock, wheeling it some 400 feet down the cliff before it came to rest on its side. A Snohomish County Sheriff's Office rescue helicopter airlifted Olliver to Harborview.

The case remains under investigation.

The Kittitas County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Unit, Kittitas Valley Fire and Rescue, Department of Emergency Management and U.S. Forest Service also assisted.

The story is a little off.

At least he had the cage to absorb some of the inpact, if not the cab of the truck would have ben LOTS worse off.

Is the 309 out by Region 4 Meadows?
Check the map here http://www.nwjeepn.com/Maps/Shoe-Tripod-Tipover.pdf

At least he had the cage to absorb some of the inpact, if not the cab of the truck would have ben LOTS worse off.

I agree. The cage had to absorb some of the impact. The failure may have actually helped cushion the impact like a crush zone in a car. If you've seen the area, it's a looong way down. It's amazing no one was killed.

I'm glad the results were as good but it has to be said.........
WHAT A DUMBASS!!

Is the 309 out by Region 4 Meadows?

The 309 runs from the shoestring trail up on top of the cliffs where you can look out over the rock garden. The rock garden trail takes off of it at the bottom. There are no good or reasonable ways down that cliff.

It truly is amazing they both survived. That is a very long way down.

Can you imagine witnessing that! Holy ****. Hope he has learned a little from this experience.

wow, that was surely a costly mistake. I'm glad there were people around to phone it in and wait with them while the rescue effort made it to them, even if they were thinking, 'dumbass'!