• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultimate snow tire?

I will :swing: some other time.

:kiss:

All I know is 31" tires.....no matter the make nor manufacture......are NOT the ultimate snow tire.:redneck:

I will :swing: some other time.

:kiss:

All I know is 31" tires.....no matter the make nor manufacture......are NOT the ultimate snow tire.:redneck:[/QUOTING I will contact BF Goodrich and have them manufacture some red label stickies in a 31x10.50x15. I think you would do good in those. What would it be like if every one went down 10" in tire size? It would make some interesting trail stories.

Last edited:
What would it be like if every one went down 10" in tire size? It would make some interesting trail stories.

I've been wheeling since 33" tires were almost unheard of and if you ever saw them they would only be on a full-size like a Ford 3/4TON. High-Boy. If you were doing awesome in a Jeep you had some Norseman True-Tracs or maybe some Desert Dogs in 30"/31" sizes. We all read about those insane 35" Ground Hawgs and 44" Swampers in the 4x4 magazines, but no one ever saw them in real life.

Yes the trail stories were many and memorable as were the challenges. Trails and the obstacles were possibly of a greater difficulty then today due to the limiting ability of those smaller tires.

However as I attempt to remember those good old days of wheeling w/o selectable lockers, maximum axle articulation and only having small diameter tires as an option. I remember the camaraderie and challenges to be the same, we all pulled together and got it done w/o the thought of larger tires as they were for the most part just plain out of reach.

Another issue was that not everyone aired down and even if you were in the know you only aired down a little and definitely not into the single digits, so that was another huge obstacle limiting performance. Why to start not everyone knew about the benefits of airing down, the tires of the time didn't tolerate it as well and lost beads easier, also no one had on board air (or only a very few did) I use to carry two spares because I didn't have the tools to repair a tire or re-seat a bead like I do know.

Perhaps today is no different as we wheel with are 35" to 39" tires not really caring to own 49" to 54" tires because they are simple out of reach, but like then as know we do dream from time to time and think of a way to run those monsters.:D

Last edited:
If you are old enough or go back far enough you will remember that everyone in the group drove there rig to the run and back, They also might of had to drive it to work on monday. The tires needed to live longer than most people of today expect a tire to last and have good on road manners.

If you are old enough or go back far enough you will remember that everyone in the group drove there rig to the run and back, They also might of had to drive it to work on monday. The tires needed to live longer than most people of today expect a tire to last and have good on road manners.
Hey now..... I flat towed my CJ5 on a tow bar. With 31 Big O's.
I can remember clearly when I upgraded to 33 Swampers.

You must be old...You kinda repeated yerself! :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

It was probably the fact that I fell asleep a few times while writing that out. Maybe that says I'm getting older then repeating myself.:D

Really I started wheeling before I got my license and have been doing it non-stop for just over thirty years.

You know way back when we used hockey pucks for body lifts and everyone had lights with little happy faces on them.:D

It was probably the fact that I fell asleep a few times while writing that out. Maybe that says I'm getting older then repeating myself.:D

Really I started wheeling before I got my license and have been doing it non-stop for just over thirty years.

You know way back when we used hockey pucks for body lifts and everyone had lights with little happy faces on them.:D

Still have a box of pucks and a pair of KCs in the shop.:cool:

Love the TJ. What are your specs on it?

I've known Al for many a moon. He's in the middle of upgrading many different parts right now and probably is to busy to reply (he doe's have a build thread on the BCJeepclub site).

His Jeep runs Pro-Rock Dana 60's front and back with 5.13 gears and an E-Locker from Detroit is just going in up front, not sure what diff's in the rear probably an ARB or a Detroit. Al also just installed a new hi-performance C-4 tranny with a Winter's shifter and Atlas 4 speed T-case. His TJ runs a Ford 5.0L with New alloy TrickFlow heads and a Holley Predator F.I. system. The front axle has been moved forward and Al's just in the process of setting up FOA coil-overs and bump-stops, the Jeep runs leafs in the rear.

Theres a lot more for sure, but that should give you a good idea that Al's Jeep is very well built and works awesome on the trails, particularly when you factor the very large Pitbull Rockers he runs.

Had? :haha:

That 8x8 is awesome particularly for the speed and agility it showed in some of the faster driving scenes, not to mention how well it worked pulling all those other trucks out of the mud. I would like to turn one into a motorhome so I could go anywhere no worries.

That time of year again. How would 32"x18" paddles do on a Sami in the snow? All 4 corners, 16" wide wheels with screwed beads and 5 psi. :corn:

The tires are 26 lbs each, nice and light. Maybe I could put together a set of cables or chains just in case of ice.