• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultimate snow tire?

I'm a pretty die hard snow wheeler and anything can almost work but there is no replacement for displacement -the biggest you can stuff and the widest you can install the widest rim you can manage. Oh and groove the crap out of them. Also your rounded off rock tires will not work like a lug with nice straight edges. I keep a set of 44 Rockers now for the snow but I use to run cut 46 Claws, I can't manage to stuff the 46s under my current rig. I've had good snow wheeling success with grooved Krawlers as well, again got ones with square edges to the lugs.

Also tires with more lugs than less you need cutting edges to grab the snow and not dig. That's why Claws works so well in the snow and why I picked Rockers over Boggers in the 44 inch size.

Oh and 1-3 PSI max.
I ran these 38.5 Rockers for a snow season. Not a very tall 38 but fat you can see my excessive grooving. I have no shots of my TJ on the 44s

My old rig - about 4 feet of snow right here - notice its on top not sunk to the axles.

Last edited:
I am also loking for tires but not as big, Looking at 37-39. 37'S I am looking at Trxus mt tires, Has anyone run these? In 39 thinking Iroks.

How do you think wheel size plays in to side wall height, In a 39.5 whats better a 15 inch wheel or 17? This question also goes for you guys running 46 inch tires, Do you like them on a small wheel or a large wheel?

I am also loking for tires but not as big, Looking at 37-39. 37'S I am looking at Trxus mt tires, Has anyone run these? In 39 thinking Iroks.

How do you think wheel size plays in to side wall height, In a 39.5 whats better a 15 inch wheel or 17? This question also goes for you guys running 46 inch tires, Do you like them on a small wheel or a large wheel?

Thought you already had 37" ND's :eeek:

I bought a cj7 earlier this year. Hp44 front, 9" rear both with ARB's and 488. I put the vortec 383 in it and last night I sold the 35" mrt's and now need something for it to sit on. Kind of leaning twords the Trxus but also been wanting some 39.5 Irock radials but crap are the $$$. Call Me Kevin.

Toyo's are really only any good in snow up to half the tire in depth. I ran a set on a DD for two seasons and never had an issue until I got into the deeper stuff.

For deep snow a wide foot print is king. less psi on the ground means it will float better. With the move that my wife and I are making this summer I am going to plan my build for lots of snow use as the area already has 13" of snow on the ground.

The Irok is a damn good tire and you can't go wrong with it. Wide rim and low psi is key.

The issue I am going to have next year is a good tire for the DD (12 Chevy half ton crew) that will hold up in the summer and work in the snow. This is less cut and dry then the snow wheeling tire debate.

I have run Trxus on my jeep and 4runner and am impressed with how well they do. The tread is soft like an Irok but more of it so it lasts longer. I would buy them again but for a pure snow (minimal pavement) tire just get iroks.

I run 33x12.5 Trxus M/T's on my Ranger, and I love them. They do well everywhere, except wet pavement. They did pretty well on an open/open Ranger in the snow. I haven't run a lot of tires, but they put everything I have run, to shame.
I'm getting a set of like 35x13.5x15 Toyos for cheap, and if they fit and do decent in the snow this winter, I will be buying 35" Trxus when my 33's wear out. i think the other tire I would consider is the Irok ND, because it looks pretty similar to the Trxus.

I called interco directly and I had a set of 39.5s bias delivered to my door for $1685