• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vertical Propane Bottles?

wgamble

Is anyone out there running their propane bottles vertical? If so, how do you like it and are there any issues?

I ran mine vertical for a few years. no problems at all.... changed to horizontal for a lower center of gravity/weight distribution/better looking on my truck

Re: Re: Re: Vertical Propane Bottles?

TacomaJD said:
There is no difference in running them vertical or horizontal, as long as they are a liquid valve tank.
But if you run then horizontal with the valve to the back and get on a pretty vertical climb the liquid will go away from the pick up. This seemed to happen to me at all the worst times. Wouldn't be as bad if I would have put the valves to the front of the jeep.

The pickup in a liquid tank is angled down in correlation with the alignment hole. Mine is aligned straight down in the tank mount like they are intended to be and I've never had an issue. If your horizontal tank mount doesn't have an alignment pin on it that lines up with the alignment hole in the propane tank, then I suppose you could turn it ever which way you wanted to. But it's the same principal when they are mounted vertically. Unless you have the alignment hole on the bottle facing toward the back of the vehicle, the pickup inside the tank would be angled toward the front of the vehicle, producing the same effect as you described when on steep inclines with low fuel volume.

I've ran my main tank out several times on the trail and before it actually just ran completely out, it never hesitated for fuel before running dry to where it wouldn't even crank on level ground, so Idk :dunno:

Re:

My thoughts always were that when I climbing straight up I was basically running the tank as upside down vertical and it would be as if it ran out sooner because it couldn't get liquid to the pick up.

I ain't so sure of the actual physics of it, vapor in the tank will still run a rig. It has to go through a vaporizer which heats up the liquid propane, turning it into a vapor before it gets to the carb anyways. If you're running out on inclines that bad, sounds to me like the bottle would be damn near empty anyways.

My secondary reserve tank for when my 10 gallon runs out, is a standard grill bottle vapor tank. It will still run my rig fine standing upright, operating just off of vapor, but does not provide enough fuel supply to power my engine under higher rpm's. Stab the gas, and it will start cuttin out. I'm sure this effect would be worse on a bigger engine that my 22r, but it just seems to me, if your tank is mounted close to the orientation it is designed for, and you are running out on inclines, it's time to switch to a new tank anyways. :dunno:

Here you go...... This shows the orientation of the pickup tube with the keyway hole...... I would run the keyways to the back on vertical..... but I have had a few Johnny Appleseed beers....

Attachments

• LPG Tank Cutaway.jpg
    LPG Tank Cutaway.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 232
No, you're correct if by keyway hole you mean the little alignment hole. If mounting a propane tank vertical, you would want the hole facing the back so the pickup would be angled toward the back so it would be submerged deeper in LP on inclines. The hole and the angle of the pickup are on the same side.

:dblthumb:

TacomaJD said:
No, you're correct if by keyway hole you mean the little alignment hole. If mounting a propane tank vertical, you would want the hole facing the back so the pickup would be angled toward the back so it would be submerged deeper in LP on inclines. The hole and the angle of the pickup are on the same side.

:dblthumb:

Roger that, I have had a couple of cocktails and my IQ only gets worse....... laughing1

TacomaJD said:
Nothing wrong with a few chardonnays! :****:

Just got back from working on the GT buggy, now I am worse....... pretty much just a babbling idiot now....... drool Going to bed, see you guys Saturday at Chocco...... thumb.gif

I'll be there! I'll probably have to slack on the chardonnays this weekend, Labor Day 5-0 be on the lookout! But I'll do some rain-riding by gawd!

Good deal, then i will rework the bottle mount and now I will have plenty of room to put the action packer. Now I gotta fab up a holder for that thing from flying out.

TacomaJD said:
I'll be there! I'll probably have to slack on the chardonnays this weekend, Labor Day 5-0 be on the lookout! But I'll do some rain-riding by gawd!

Staying saturday night at the hampton, I can crawl there from Chocco...... :****: You guys be safe.......

Its possible to use a propane cylinder on vertical side, however its not advisable. The problem is that the gar regulator is designed for gas, if the propane cylinder is full there is the potential for the liquid to be drawn into the regulator at cause an over pressure.