• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vertical Propane Bottles?

Re: Re: Re: Vertical Propane Bottles?

chardricketts said:
Its possible to use a propane cylinder on vertical side, however its not advisable. The problem is that the gar regulator is designed for gas, if the propane cylinder is full there is the potential for the liquid to be drawn into the regulator at cause an over pressure.
This is incorrect sir as far as forklift tanks we use.

chardricketts said:
Its possible to use a propane cylinder on vertical side, however its not advisable. The problem is that the gar regulator is designed for gas, if the propane cylinder is full there is the potential for the liquid to be drawn into the regulator at cause an over pressure.

I don't think you know the difference between tanks that operate with a liquid LP valve and ones that operate solely off a vapor valve (like a grill bottle).

Anybody got pics of their setup so I can get some ideas. I only want to have to fab this thing up once.

Re:

Not much to it, get some tank clasp mounts, figure oit where you want it where it is sufficiently protected in the event of a rollover, make sure there aren't any obstructions hindering hooking the LP line up, bolt or weld the mounts in, and yer set to mash yer motor.

Re: Re: Vertical Propane Bottles?

Here's a pic of John's old Mash Yer Motor buggy with dual vertical forklift bottle setup.

e6e6a2y4.jpg

JD, lets build a grill in the back of your truck and splice it into the propane tank! that would be tits to cook a burger on the trail!

zukimaster said:
JD, lets build a grill in the back of your truck and splice it into the propane tank! that would be tits to cook a burger on the trail!

If I had room for it, damn sure would like to! My reserve tank rarely gets used and is a vapor tank, which is what gas grills run off of so it'd be perfect!

Then I could be like The Rock and say "DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK HOPPER IS COOKIN?!"

I am glad to see that cutaway tank of mine getting posted whenever tank questions come up. From the way I see the cylinders in the above photo it looks like the tanks are rotated 90 degrees from where they need to be to get the most use out of them.

Someone also asked about the difference in vapor withdrawal bottles and liquid withdrawal. On a forklift bottle the ports are specific as to what they do. If you are looking at the top of the tank the port(valve) at the 2 o'clock position will always be the liquid supply port and the port at the 10 o'clock position will always be vapor withdrawal. The pickup tube is at the 6 o'clock position. You always want your tanks to be positioned so the pickup tube is submerged when going uphill.

Attachments

• 8-28-14 011.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 97
altfuel1991 said:
I am glad to see that cutaway tank of mine getting posted whenever tank questions come up. From the way I see the cylinders in the above photo it looks like the tanks are rotated 90 degrees from where they need to be to get the most use out of them.

Someone also asked about the difference in vapor withdrawal bottles and liquid withdrawal. On a forklift bottle the ports are specific as to what they do. If you are looking at the top of the tank the port(valve) at the 2 o'clock position will always be the liquid supply port and the port at the 10 o'clock position will always be vapor withdrawal. The pickup tube is at the 6 o'clock position. You always want your tanks to be positioned so the pickup tube is submerged when going uphill.

Great info, I did not know the port at the 10 o'clock position is actually vapor withdrawel. I thought that was the filler port. We fill them thru that port or the "output" port.

When the tank is used as a vapor withdrawal the fill valve and service valve are switched so it pulls vapor off the top of the tank. Then it does need to be vertical
or it will pull liquid when the fuel sloshes.

gsell said:
Great info, I did not know the port at the 10 o'clock position is actually vapor withdrawel. I thought that was the filler port. We fill them thru that port or the "output" port.

Re: Re: Vertical Propane Bottles?

TacomaJD said:
Here's a pic of John's old Mash Yer Motor buggy with dual vertical forklift bottle setup.

e6e6a2y4.jpg
Are there some specs or a build thread on this thing? I totally dig it! :dblthumb:

gsell said:

They usually say "Vapor" or "Liquid" over each hole. One will be blocked off with a threaded plug, the other will have the valve in it. Then there is a 3rd port which should be the fill valve you are talking about. At least that's how most all the liquid tanks are that I've seen. A vapor only tank will just have one output hole with nothing written above it and the other bigger valve for filling the tank. (as far as I know.)

Latest posts