• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Washington State Trails Act

japerry

After some hard work between Steve Davies, Ted Jackson, Ed Tenny and myself -- we managed to get the re-written trails act passed the senate and into law.

This means that the expensive building for Reiter is going to come to an end! No more massive amounts of rock and there is potential that the rock garden and other user-built trails could be opened (if they still fit the environmental requirements of the plan)

We're working now to create a no nonsense plan that will be used state-wide and stop doing piecemeal, case-by-case trail plans. This may delay some short term planning, but should not interfere with already planned trails.

Edit -- here is some more details:

Here is the bill in all its finished glory:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/2151-S.E.pdf

The key take-aways:

1) Inclusive stakeholders will build a trail policy that covers our sport for our needs.
These rules will include provisions that allow us to build trails like the outlet mall. Its very sad that DNR doesn't own that property, because we could have the outlet mall if they did own it =/

2) Trail plan should be based off of the USFS or similar standard, like Minnesota, or something we come up with if none of the standards fit.
The trails currently are being built above and beyond what the USFS usually requires. Class 5 trails are not recommended, and yet thats what we've been building. Existing trails are not likely to get altered, but it will change how new ones are built.*

3) Trails must be built to meet Ecology standards (not that hard), but also need to be built at the lowest cost possible.
That means they cannot build how they've been building them. Money is to be spent on bridges and wet areas, but otherwise conform to the law

4) User built trails MUST be considered for inclusion.
When a trail system is being evaluated, any trail that otherwise fits the trail plan, should be incorporated. This should help us get some user-built trails re-included into the Rieter plan, it will also help get more trails at walker and Yacolt. It will also potentially allow unauthorized recreation areas to be added to a trail plan instead of being shut down.

5) DNR is not liable for heavy equipment and other volunteer activities
This will allow volunteers to use heavy equipment again, and should make it easier for a volunteer organization to 'adopt a trail' to be built.

6) Holds counties responsible for working with DNR to establish a streamlined permitting process. If counties hold out and cause barriers, the DNR can bring that to the legislature to override the counties ;)

* I presume DNR will continue building the way they have been until the new plan is in place later this year or 2015.

I'll be at swap meet if people have questions or concerns. Also ask away on here.

Last edited:
After some hard work between Steve Davies, Ted Jackson, Ed Tenny and myself -- we managed to get the re-written trails act passed the senate and into law.

This means that the expensive building for Reiter is going to come to an end! No more massive amounts of rock and there is potential that the rock garden and other user-built trails could be opened (if they still fit the environmental requirements of the plan)

We're working now to create a no nonsense plan that will be used state-wide and stop doing piecemeal, case-by-case trail plans. This may delay some short term planning, but should not interfere with already planned trails.

I'll be at swap meet if people have questions or concerns. Also ask away on here.

I think people like you guys go unappreciated in the 4x4 world. The 4x4 community continues to have to fight keep places open to wheel. I don't have the gift required to do what you guys do. I don't have the tact or the communication skills for it. Where I just get the hammer out and start beating on the problem, Ed will find a more logical way to fix it.

Thank you guys.:awesomework:

Wow excellent job :awesomework::awesomework:!!!

By no more massive amount of rock, do you mean the gravel bed of the trail? Or all rock? Do you know if there are going to be any changes to the current trails or will they remain the same? You said we could ask :D.

BADASS Jacob , I will definitely stop by to see what you guys are doing and to offer my services as a Hydrologic Technician, a CECL cert.
Cheers!!

So what exactly does "rock" mean in reference to this?

so what this means in a nutshell is that the DNR can now use/create their own trail building guidelines and build as minimally invasive as possible where the terrain warrants, and incorporate user built trails where it makes sense, as well as puts them in a better position in regards to volunteer labor/equipment liability wise. It also addresses ADA issues. This was accomplished with a lot of work by Ted Jackson, Steve Davies, Jakob Parry and a lot of support from the DNR. It also was worked out with all forms of recreationists! does that help answer your question Crash?

:awesomework:

so what this means in a nutshell is that the DNR can now use/create their own trail building guidelines and build as minimally invasive as possible where the terrain warrants, and incorporate user built trails where it makes sense, as well as puts them in a better position in regards to volunteer labor/equipment liability wise. It also addresses ADA issues. This was accomplished with a lot of work by Ted Jackson, Steve Davies, Jakob Parry and a lot of support from the DNR. It also was worked out with all forms of recreationists! does that help answer your question Crash?

:awesomework:

Kinda.. I just don't want it cause us to have to build another walker valley(no offense) and keep going with what we have been doing out there in regards to difficulty.. As it sits now there are no 4x4 userbuilt trails in our area except the rock garden and that has always been in the plans to get back.

Myself and others have enjoyed what has been going on but could do without the gravel on the trail in many areas(some situations it is needed).

correct me if I've misspoke about any of this Jakob

Yup, thats exactly right! I guess to go more into it now that I'm not working, I was just super excited to post it as soon as it came out :D

Here is the bill in all its finished glory:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/2151-S.E.pdf

The key take-aways:
1) Inclusive stakeholders will build a trail policy that covers our sport for our needs.
These rules will include provisions that allow us to build trails like the outlet mall. Its very sad that DNR doesn't own that property, because we could have the outlet mall if they did own it =/

2) Trail plan should be based off of the USFS or similar standard, like Minnesota, or something we come up with if none of the standards fit.
The trails currently are being built above and beyond what the USFS usually requires. Class 5 trails are not recommended, and yet thats what we've been building. Existing trails are not likely to get altered, but it will change how new ones are built.*

3) Trails must be built to meet Ecology standards (not that hard), but also need to be built at the lowest cost possible.
That means they cannot build how they've been building them. Money is to be spent on bridges and wet areas, but otherwise conform to the law

4) User built trails MUST be considered for inclusion.
When a trail system is being evaluated, any trail that otherwise fits the trail plan, should be incorporated. This should help us get some user-built trails re-included into the Rieter plan, it will also help get more trails at walker and Yacolt. It will also potentially allow unauthorized recreation areas to be added to a trail plan instead of being shut down.

5) DNR is not liable for heavy equipment and other volunteer activities
This will allow volunteers to use heavy equipment again, and should make it easier for a volunteer organization to 'adopt a trail' to be built.

6) Holds counties responsible for working with DNR to establish a streamlined permitting process. If counties hold out and cause barriers, the DNR can bring that to the legislature to override the counties ;)

* I presume DNR will continue building the way they have been until the new plan is in place later this year or 2015.

I wish it had a little more teeth in places (like bypassing counties altogether), but this is the best we could do without ruffling too many feathers. The WTA is livid that we got the user-built trail part included. But DNR and the legislature understand how important it is.

One nice aspect of the location of our trails--is issues with sediment and erosion in 95% of the area so if this helps with it :awesomework:

Please post a link to the legislation/law, or post it here.

Done (Posted to the top)

I think people like you guys go unappreciated in the 4x4 world. The 4x4 community continues to have to fight keep places open to wheel. I don't have the gift required to do what you guys do. I don't have the tact or the communication skills for it. Where I just get the hammer out and start beating on the problem, Ed will find a more logical way to fix it.

Thank you guys.:awesomework:

My pleasure. :cheer: It was fun standing up in Committee and openly admitting that I build trails on DNR land. Its not something to be scared of, and I've become well acquainted with the new recreation manager who understands why we build. The MTN biker folks also came out and said the same thing, better than I could:

Evergreen MTB Alliance said:
[User built trails] are created because access to trails are not meeting demand. we dont share the concerns that incorpoating trails encoruges more development, user built trails are encouraged because of lack of availability. We do recognize that some are well built others are not, and thus should be evaluated against a trail plan before being included.

But basically the hard rock base that Lisa Anderson was mandating is going to be removed from the plan. The (new) head of DNR recreation is aware of the issues we have been facing, and is working to change that.

I can confidently say, things are looking up :cool:

Lets take some of that money they would have spent on all the rock and make an offer to Manke Timber for the land :D (kidding). This is looking awesome, I really hope they open up some of the old trails and have bridges built where water crossings are and that the Rock Garden will be just as it was. Time will tell, but things are definitely looking up :awesomework: thanks again!