• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Weapon refinishing

R

rednecklights

I have a keltec pf-9 purchased from a friend before he passed a few years back. In warmer weather it gets carried a lot in my pocket. This past summer we had the top off and I didn't want it to fall out going down the interstate so I put it under the seat , then comes the storm and I forgot it was there for a couple days as it was drying out....

So I polished the barrel and it looks fine and I rubbed the slide down till it wasn't so pitted , but the finish is ruined.

Is there a diy coating system that will actually hold up ? Can someone recommend a gunsmith Local to north Alabama ?

Fwiw I'm usually very particular about my weapons , this happened to be a freak accident.

Jon Piper

I have used DuraCoat in the aerosol can on my last few project guns. Its holding up rather well for everyday abuse on a carry pistol.

If your wanting someone to have it done, there is a place in danville that does them it's called W W guns he does a damn good job and was reasonable doin my 7 mag

Ceracoat, dura coat, have it hydro dipped in whatever pattern you want, or good old rustoleum - not durable per se, but easy to change up. It's what I use on any gun I camo (duck guns, coyote guns, ARs. Etc). Go to brownells.com they have a whole line of spray on finishes that come in rattle cans that work pretty well.

When I was a kid my dad built a black power kit. He blued it him self. At the same time I was about 12, I reblued a 1906 .22 short , rifle . That was 35 years ago, that finish is still good.

greenlion said:

How does it hold up to scratches and etc? The factory finish on my SBE2 is terrible and I abuse it pretty hard timber hunting. Been trying to decide what to do to it before it turns into a pile of rust... Pretty sad for a 2 year old gun.