• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wes' wrangler build

pos97TJ

I finished my 97 TJ just to wheel it once and start a buggy build. Well I had to much on my plate so the buggy got the axe and I am building up a spare jeep I had laying around. I got a clapped out YJ renegade rust bucket as part of a deal and figured it would make a great budget wheeler. I didnt take many pictures up to this point so Ill give you a rundown of what I did. First I ripped off all the :rb: plastic body kit, next I built some sliders and tube fenders for it and threw on some modified genright rear full corners. I also had a cage layin around that I built for a TJ so I threw it in the jeep and mounted some seats I had laying around to it. I also had an external mounted slave cylinder bellhousing and input bearing retainer so I converted th clutch to that and put in an atlas 4.3 tcase. I then cut the floorboards out and rasied everything up for a flat bellpan, made a new crossmember that is seperate from the skid and mad some new floorboards. I also slapped on some OD green paint while I was at it. So this is where the pics start....

Here is an over all view of it as it sits
25sbjfm.jpg

Here is the Tcase crossmember
2dujc6v.jpg

The plan is 3 link front, 4 link rear, Built HP dana 44 front and 35 spline 44 rear, 12 fox coilovers in the rear and 14" Bilstiens in the front, 7075 links with johnny joints at both ends, and some bumpers.

Here is the frame cleaned off
2rrnryq.jpg

Here is the front all cleaned up
25tkx6u.jpg

and all cut down, I took 2" off each side for a total width of 62"
2yools7.jpg

izw7fc.jpg

osh95h.jpg

Last edited:
Got the front mocked in place
2wc0jzo.jpg

Here are the front links and rear coilovers, I will use the rear coilovers for mock up until I get the bilstiens
263x2xg.jpg

Tommorrow I will burn out some mounts and get them all mocked in and welded then I need to pull the axle to paint and set up the ARB/Gears.

Nice to see that you got it back in the shop:awesomework: put round headlights in it any you will have your old tj back once you get it all linked up :D

Yep...This thing should be biblical:fawkdancesmiley:

I got the 3 link in the front mostly done today and the cameras battery was dead so Ill get some more progress pics tommorow before I pull it out to finish weld everything and setup the locker and gears.

Had a bunch of errands to run today but I managed to get a little done

Burned out some bracketry
29c98a1.jpg

Bent up and welded the brackets, Here is the upper link frame end
53s8io.jpg

And installed
2navep2.jpg

Here is the lower link frame mount, I have some gusseting to do on the inside of the fram I will take pics when I do that
v5kd50.jpg

Here is the axle with the link mounts welded on, I still have the panhard and shock mounts to do but I will do that after I get the gears/locker setup
2moebmg.jpg

I also built some shock buckets for the front, I usually do tube hoops but on these YJs you end up notching in the fram anyway for shock clearence so I figured I would try this way out. I will be notching these in the frame and finish welding all my link mounts tommorrow while the axle is getting done.
2w3e2ya.jpg

2ir4qcw.jpg

Thats gonna be the fanciest yj on the trail guaronteeed :awesomework: those lower link mounts look very familiar I like it

I got the shock mounts notched in the frame and a crossmember built for in between them today.... Not super productive but its progress

2eulbgo.jpg

and onto the crossmember
2dafuaa.jpg

2ebct8o.jpg

9bhno3.jpg

Looks plenty rigid, plenty strong.

But doing engine work is going to be a PITA. It doesn't look like you could even pull the valve cover to fix a leak.

Are the pictures accurately depicting the scenario? If so, you should modify that for removal, and not have it hard welded.

It will be removeable:awesomework: I have to weld the mounting plate on the crossmember and drill the holes in the shock tower. I didnt get to it today, tommorrow I will finish weld the towers and finish the crossmember and get some paint on them.

Latest posts