• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is the best "offshore" brand winch?

slideshow86

We have a lot of options at a range of prices.

I am in the market for somthing in the 8000 range for the front and I dont have a lot of cash to throw at it. Whats my best bang for the buck?

Seems the absolute "cheapest" winch is the smittybuilt 8000 @ 299, but is cheapest the best?

The next would be a
Mile Marker @ $399

Here is another called Rugged Ridge @349

Then we have a brand some local companies have been dealing with. They are called CSI. There 8500 model is $480.

Last option (ive found) would be used. If used I would opt NOT to go offshore. I would choose somthing like a warn or ramsey. Even used and being in unknown condition, you would be spending anwhere from $350+

What do you guys think? What have you used and what has worked for you?

I'd stick with a Warn. Mine has not ever let me down. I just rebuilt my Warn XD9000 for under 50 bucks...try to find the parts on an offshore brand to do that with, let alone anywhere near that price range. I bought mine well used, and never had a problem with it in the 9 years of service until it's rebuild; It was rebuilt because it free-spooled too tough by hand.

Looks like Odie has one for sale in the price range you're looking for: http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46765 :beer:

Last edited:
I believe the term "you get what you pay for" plays a big role on this purchase if you buy new. I bought a xd9000i for $450 used and has done everyone I've winched out very well:awesomework:

I had a ramsey for a few years and it let me down several times, got a warn now and will not ever buy anything other than a warn. Remember, that a lot of the time your winch is your last line of defense, it can make or break a wheeling trip, and if you are breaking out the winch you are in trouble if it doesn't work, not something to save $ on.

Warn is the cats meow, but hard to come by for the 3-400 range he is talking about. The one odie has is going to need cable and a hook too, not cheap.

The smitttybuilt you mentioned for 299 cant be beat when compared to other winches under 400. The smitty has a crappy freespool lever but other than that are great.

My roomates smittybuilt winch pulled alot of trucks around a the WOW snow run.

Nobody complained that we didnt pull them with a warn. :;

Jay Luke has the mile marker from costco for $299. He has to use it every time he wheels, and it's never let him down.:awesomework:

Going to pick up my XRC8 on friday before they go up to the price of $550. :awesomework: I've searched all over different forums about terrible stories of the smittybilt and was unable to find any, like mentioned before the FS lever kinda sucks but it's fairly solid for the price.

I like my Summit 8 or 9k winch. It has the same specs as the T-Max, i'm sure there are some differences, but i can't tell, it's quick and gets the job done. :awesomework:

Centralgrand has a Smittybuilt and broke the case.

I have a Costco "Champion" brand. The controler is stupid, but the winch has been very reliable, pulls hard, but it is the slowest winch I have ever seen. It makes a Milemarker look like a speed demon.

I would recommend watching Craigslist and finding a used Warn. The last 8274 I bought I paid $50 bucks for, working, no cable. There are always deals on M8000's, 8274's, etc... if your patient and have cash.

I would recommend watching Craigslist and finding a used Warn. The last 8274 I bought I paid $50 bucks for, working, no cable. There are always deals on M8000's, 8274's, etc... if your patient and have cash.

I have an 8274 sitting at my shop but its just too big for me to bring myself to mount on my truck. I am considering trading/selling it in trade for another warn.

After checking CL I shouldnt have a problem finding one in the $400 range.

As for line, hook, ect. I can get them discounted through my shop but just cant afford a new warn (winch) outright.

I got the Smittybilt 8k for 350 with a lifetime warranty from 4wheelparts, I've heard about the freespool lever but 4wp isn't going out of business anytime soon and apparently they're really cool about honoring the warranty.

I have the Smittybilt XR8 1st gen on my heep. It was all I could afford at the time. It's been a reliable unit and has had a fair amount of use yanking yotas outta stuck spots. Would I like to have a Warn? Hell ya. but it is not in the budget. The only issues I have had were with the controller and the gear box. The gear box was making funky noises right out of the box. Smittybilt sent me a new gear box 2 days later. The controller where it plugs in was not connecting well and would work intermittently. So I installed in cab controls. Problem fixed.

Bottom line.... for the money I would do it again. If I had $1500.00 laying around, I would go prepared and get a Warn.

I got the Smittybilt 8k for 350 with a lifetime warranty from 4wheelparts, I've heard about the freespool lever but 4wp isn't going out of business anytime soon and apparently they're really cool about honoring the warranty.

I asked Mike at the 4wheelparts in Alderwood, and he said there wasn't a lifetime warranty option...? I'll ask him again today when I stop by there. :rolleyes:

I run 12,000 chicago

harbor frieght special winches works for me they are not spendy or nothing to brag about but costermer service is great along with warrenty .They are kinda slow but if I bust it I just go up the street and replace it with a new one.Ive purchased about 6 from there they never let me down and they always take care of **** if i have problems..

Ive had 2 friends that had to take theres back because they don't know how to respool them right .

Just don't buy the harbor frieght welder to build the bumber ur mounting it on.....

Some day ill get a Warn for the rear.

I asked Mike at the 4wheelparts in Alderwood, and he said there wasn't a lifetime warranty option...? I'll ask him again today when I stop by there. :rolleyes:

YEAH I HAVE A FRIEND WITH THIS WINCH AND THAT WARRANTY THEY DIDNT OFFER THAT TO ME I HEARD ALOT OF BAD ABOUT THEM BUT MINES BEEN ONE OF MY BEST INVEST MENTS IVE USED THE **** OUT OF IT NOT JUST WHEELING ETHIER I HAVE MINE IN A CRADLE AND MY TO RIG AND TRAILER ARE WIRED FOR IT AND IM HARD ON IT THER IS A SET SREW IN THE END OF THE DRUM THAT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OUT AND LOCKTITED OR IT FALLS OUT AND GETS STUCK IN THE CLUTCHES SORRY JUST LOOKED UP AND SEEN I WAS YELLING the smitty builts are a great choice they work good and take some serous abuse:redneck::redneck::redneck:

Jay Luke has the mile marker from costco for $299. He has to use it every time he wheels, and it's never let him down.:awesomework:

:haha::fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Funny Shelby..Although I have used the **** outta that thing. It has pulled a lot of my friends and myself outta some pretty sticky situations. My only complaint is that it is slooooooooow...And by the way I paid $249.95 on Costco.com for it beotch:fawkdancesmiley::redneck: It's getting moved to the rear of the truck and a Brand new Warn will take it's place up front very soon:beer:

Last edited:
harbor frieght special winches works for me they are not spendy or nothing to brag about but costermer service is great along with warrenty .They are kinda slow but if I bust it I just go up the street and replace it with a new one.Ive purchased about 6 from there they never let me down and they always take care of **** if i have problems..

Ive had 2 friends that had to take theres back because they don't know how to respool them right .

Just don't buy the harbor frieght welder to build the bumber ur mounting it on.....

Some day ill get a Warn for the rear.

If you have problems and you know they take care of them how has the winch not let you down? :eeek:

Not to pick on you but I am just wondering how that works.

When you are out in the woods you need to be able to trust your life to your recovery gear, if you wheel you will get into a bad spot at some point. You will need to rely on what you have to get you out safely.

Dont skimp on a winch, save and buy a known good one. Otherwise you will be counting on an unknown to get you out.

I have an 8274 on the front of my 4runner. I picked it up for about 400 bucks ready to rock with a winch plate and decent cable. There are good deals out there.