• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what is the PERFECT rim width?????

I have ran 8" steelies for a few years now, with 35x12.5x15 MTR's. Still haven't lost a bead yet. I had better not have jinxed myself!
I have ran with little to no air at all inside the tire, and it just stays on...

So sounds like 8in is what you want!!! and then throw a DIY beadlock on it!!!!!

Well I would really like to find a set of 16x8 toyota rims!!! I have a set of 36in Iroks I want to run on my yota but they are for a 16in rim! Swap meet????? Any chance?????

Well I would really like to find a set of 16x8 toyota rims!!! I have a set of 36in Iroks I want to run on my yota but they are for a 16in rim! Swap meet????? Any chance?????

16s are pretty common, but not in an 8" width without going aftermarket. Like somebody else said, you might have better luck looking at Chevy rims, but I still think 8" width is going to be rare, and you'll have to be careful about the centro opening as some chevies have a smaller hub hole that will work on Toyota axles. It can be machined out with no ill effects, but that's just extra time & money.

16x7 steelies are everywhere - why not pick up a set of those and some DIY beadlock rings (assuming you can find them for 16s - never looked...) and end up with an 8" width?

16s are pretty common, but not in an 8" width without going aftermarket. Like somebody else said, you might have better luck looking at Chevy rims, but I still think 8" width is going to be rare, and you'll have to be careful about the centro opening as some chevies have a smaller hub hole that will work on Toyota axles. It can be machined out with no ill effects, but that's just extra time & money.

16x7 steelies are everywhere - why not pick up a set of those and some DIY beadlock rings (assuming you can find them for 16s - never looked...) and end up with an 8" width?

16x7 sounds good to me! I honestly have no experience with this stuff:looser: I have been all 8 lug for like 3yrs its weird and a big change to be able to buy 15s and such:eeek: But I have a set of DIY rings for 16s thats why I want them!!! I bought them last night off a buddy:cheer:

So look for some 16x7??? where those a stock option?????? Thanx alot!!!
Oh yeah how much would you guess a set would run???????:beer:

16x7 sounds good to me! I honestly have no experience with this stuff:looser: I have been all 8 lug for like 3yrs its weird and a big change to be able to buy 15s and such:eeek: But I have a set of DIY rings for 16s thats why I want them!!! I bought them last night off a buddy:cheer:

So look for some 16x7??? where those a stock option?????? Thanx alot!!!
Oh yeah how much would you guess a set would run???????:beer:

Just a thought, maybe try factory 90's chev 4x4 steelies, they're 16x7's, and 6 lug; you'd have to try one on to see if the backspacing is ok(clearing the tie rod,etc), and you might have to clearance the hub center of the rim...worth a try.....

so 7" wide rim will work ok for a tire 13.5 wide?

IMO, I think a 7" rim might be pushing it, but I have seen it done----will likely wear the center of the tire excessively if street driven much!!! I've been runnin an 8" rim w/ 33x13.5 LTB's and have only lost a bead 1 time(stuffed hard into a root on a slope!!); just my .02...... I've been happy with the 8" and 13.5 wide tire setup.

Last edited:
It can be machined out with no ill effects, but that's just extra time & money.

Money? Own an angle grinder?

I did a set of 4 Chevy wheels to fit my trailer hubs. A harbor frieght angle grinder - $14.99 on sale. 10 pack of wheels - $5. So for $20 I was able to machine out the center hole to clear the hubs on my trailer.

:redneck: Does it look pretty...hell no. Does it work...hell yes. Was it a hell of a lot cheaper then paying a machine shop. Hell yes. Was it worth it....yes.

Just a thought, maybe try factory 90's chev 4x4 steelies, they're 16x7's, and 6 lug; you'd have to try one on to see if the backspacing is ok(clearing the tie rod,etc), and you might have to clearance the hub center of the rim...worth a try.....

That was kind of what I was thinking of when I wrote that semi-coherent post above. Also, some Toyotas had them mid-90's and later I think (although a lot of those are probably 6" wide)? The problem is that all the factory wheels will probably have 4-5" of backspacing, so they'll require spacers to put them in the right spot and miss the TREs. I've never tried it myself, but it's my understanding that factory IFS Chevy wheels will need the center hole opened up just a little bit to fit on Toy axles.

Money? Own an angle grinder?

I did a set of 4 Chevy wheels to fit my trailer hubs. A harbor frieght angle grinder - $14.99 on sale. 10 pack of wheels - $5. So for $20 I was able to machine out the center hole to clear the hubs on my trailer.

:redneck: Does it look pretty...hell no. Does it work...hell yes. Was it a hell of a lot cheaper then paying a machine shop. Hell yes. Was it worth it....yes.

Like I said - time and money. Maybe not a LOT of time or money, but still :D

Latest posts