• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What size fuel cell you using?

xjoffroad

Its going into a scout 800 with a 345 motor. So many sizes to choose from. Thinking of a 16gallon unit but asking what size do you use and do you wish you went bigger?

mainly the scout will be on the trails but some road miles also

I think mine is a 21 or 18 gallon. I can go probably two weekends on wheeling on a tank.

mine is approx. 17 gallons and have wheeled at moon/funny rocks for an entire weekend with the 22re....but that will change soon!!!!:;

stay away from the RCI aluminum tanks get something with a plastic tank inside and metal outside.

my jeep I6 had a 15g and I could wheel several days when I remembered to put gas in it... and it wasn't spliting at all the welded seams... :booo:

345's can be a thirsty motor, but over all not much worse that any other V-8. Anywhere from 16-22 or so and you should be good. Depending on your wheeling and how much actual trail time you get you could probably go for a good chunk if not all weekend on a tank. Definitely all day.

Take a couple 5-gallon cans with you and your should be golden. If you got the room (which you do in a Scout depending on how much free-room you want to retain) I'd error on the side of bigger since your not going to trailer it all the time. Your going to get between 10 and 15 MPG on the road depending on mods, tune and driving style. So plan accordingly from your last fuel stop to the trail. I've known guys with 30+ gallon cells and they typically don't have to worry about it. But that's also allot of fuel to be sloshing around as well as weight.

You got the room, if this as a trail rig and not a rock buggy go with a 22 gallon or bigger.

The side-saddle tanks are actually not in a bad location, but the filler necks are nutorious leakers. If you can or are going to retain them its good extra fuel, just buy some of the avalaible after-market filler necks and caps or feb your own, otherwise everytime you lean it over you'll be pissing fuel out.

Remove the side tanks and have them cleaned and sealed, or get the poly after-markets. Then use them as "spares" either directly plumbed in with a valve or put a little transfer pump in them to pump into the main tank.

Oh, and EFI that bitch. You'll be happy you did.

You got the room, if this as a trail rig and not a rock buggy go with a 22 gallon or bigger.

The side-saddle tanks are actually not in a bad location, but the filler necks are nutorious leakers. If you can or are going to retain them its good extra fuel, just buy some of the avalaible after-market filler necks and caps or feb your own, otherwise everytime you lean it over you'll be pissing fuel out.

Remove the side tanks and have them cleaned and sealed, or get the poly after-markets. Then use them as "spares" either directly plumbed in with a valve or put a little transfer pump in them to pump into the main tank.

Oh, and EFI that bitch. You'll be happy you did.

thats good to know about the filler necks. the tanks are full of rust and one leaks. dont know if I want to put the $$ into them or not. EFI is in the plans!

I have a mostly stock injected chev 350 and I can burn 15 gallons in a day, go with as much as you can for space and weight then you wont have to worry:awesomework:

19 gallons + 5...unloading at the outhouse on FS70 & running to Funny Rocks via trails & back, I usually have to add the 5 gallons by the time I get back to the FS70 to get back to the trailer...I'll be definitely feeling the pinch this year :booo: or I'll have to slow down :eeek:

15 gallons and a 454, it is good for a day on the trails. I have a 42 gallon propane tank waiting to go in :cheer: