• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to build?

Woodlee

I was reading in some post that some people would like to see me build a comp style buggy. And I would LOVE to build a comp buggy for some one. Any Takers out there????????;D

All of my customers have come to me and had a idea of what they wanted and some parts to start with. So you have to mix in what they have and what they are going to do into what I build them. For the first time ever I have a guy that wants me to build him a buggy from scratch and has no parts. he does have a few guide lines though. He wants 800 hp, has to have 4 wheel steer, and it has to be dependable through a beat down.

So with that being said what would you guys come up with to build him. I already have the ball rolling on engine and trans and t case and axles. I know some of you guys know the specs but don't spill the beans yet.

I really have banged my head against the wall to figure out what parts and componets to put in this rig and have spent tons of time on the phone to get what I feel will be a well rounded package worked out for this customer.

So lets hear it! what would you guys put in a rig be as detailed as you want as far as chassis design all the way down to what link material size and suspension joints. Interior to out side skins. Build your dream list here and lets see what we can come up with. I would really like to know what people would like to see come out of my shop. Lets see what you got.

By the way I would like to see what Bobs buggy would be like with a set of crawlers on it. The buggy should not be that heavy at least under the 4000 lbs mark.

Adam you build some crazy cool badass stuff. But 800HP, is this thing even going to have any dependability on the trail. I can't even imagine keeping 800hp upnder control on the street with the stall you'd need to make it useable.

800Hp on a hill? By the time you get in the powerband you're where? Maybe at the dragstrip? Sorry I am not hating or whatever, just questioning why on earth would some one want over 500hp on the trail. And by 500 I think that is a huge amount. What kinda torque numbers are you talking? I am also assuming its forced air, so you have to decide if you have usable power by the time you are spooled up in the powerband.....

As for what it should look like or be? Do what you do best there. No doubt you'll bend some crazy cool tube, and i will once again drool over.

Ha ha man your thinkin the same thing I was when he told me that is what he wanted. That has been a big part of the challenge of this project. Now not only the engine size but what will hold up to it.

I am having a motor built that should be very well mannerd. It is tough and expensive to get horse power, dependability, and drivability out of the same engine. I am pretty sure it can be done though. Your on the right track with the forced induction though.

Anybody with more than 200 hp is compensating for something. :flipoff1:

More seriously, the horsepower is the reason I didn't reply to this thread sooner. I really don't know what to make with a motor like that. Will you be using 5 ton rockwells? I assume the big motor and required big axles mean that any hope of being light is out the window. Right?

Woodlee said:
He wants 800 hp, has to have 4 wheel steer, and it has to be dependable through a beat down.
The buggy should not be that heavy at least under the 4000 lbs mark.

That has me totally lost for input. No doubt its going to be a tough one to pull off. This should be another ground breaking ride. Lookin forward to it.
2 seater or moon buggy?

17802397_large.jpg

+

dual_nitrous_bracket1.jpg

+

tank.jpg

+

LS120MOON20BUGGY0011.jpg

=

GONOVRIT said:
That has me totally lost for input. No doubt its going to be a tough one to pull off. This should be another ground breaking ride. Looking forward to it.
2 seater or moon buggy?

The weight stated there is for the buggy in my avatar not the one we are talking about.

Weight will be a big issue for this buggy. It has been thought about a lot.

Will be a two seater.

Good advice Jim!!!!!! ;D

Good luck with that Adam! 800HP that is just crazy, I guess if money is no object then it can be done. I would really love to see you build something that weighs 3500lbs on sticky tires. I know that is not most of your clients style, but man it would be bad.

I'm going to have to get a hold of a set of crawlers and put them on Bobs buggy to see how they would do. I think it would be fun to try. I can't wait to see what it weighs. Bob said some thing about trying to weigh it last week but I never heard any thing else from him about it.

I would love to build a all out comp vehicle. I have alot of ideas that would really be trick in the comp scene just haven't had my chance yet to show em.

I do laugh a Little bit about the to much motor thing. I actually feel like I got this job because I was not scared of it. The guy said every one else he talked to said it couldn't be done and he was just crazy. I just told him he was crazy but you will be a crazy mo fo with a 800 hp buggy if thats what you want. It will be ALOT of unused motor but who am I to tell some one the CAN'T have some thing like that. I will just build to suit it and rock on out. I did try to talk him down some on power so will will see what actually happens but at least a 600hp min.

Lets hear what you guys would use for axles, trans and every thing else. Come on strain your brain let hear what you got. What all is out there for me?

Oh man, I have built several buggies in my head at work.
If I had the cash out right, I would have you build me a small 2 seater with an LS2 stroker.
Would have a Th400 because I know what kind of abuse one can take.
Would also have an Atlas.
I would like to see a buggy with either Diamond or Spidertrax axles. Probably a HI9 in the front, I believe there supposed to be pretty stout and a LP9 in the rear. Something you don't see a whole lot on the east coast.
Set of 39" BFG's because thats where I work and some type of Double Beadlocks.
1 1/4 joints all the way around and Aluminum Links.
2" Fox coilover with Air bumps,
Very simple interior.
Ron Davis Radiator, because there Radiators are UNITS!!
Double Ended ram with around 45 degree turning,
Longfield CV axles.
Everything Tig Welded because thats PIMP.
Art Carr shifter,
Cable Shifters for T-Case
Digital Gauge Cluster like there using in the Crawl Buggy.
One of your Custom fuel cells.
Thats about all I can think of right now.
I love my rockwells and 47's, but deep down I really want a small comp buggy that weighs 3500lbs or less.

What will probably happen is I will drop my jeep off at Woodlees and tell him to use all my parts to build a nasty small rockwell buggy. Then I will beat the ever living Hell out of it.

I'd say TH400, atlas or np205, and light a fire under Ouverson about those aluminum rock housings. I don't think anything 1-ton would hold up, not even sure about those pro 80s.

ZF axles?

Twin turbo'd Cadillac 500 (weighs 50ish lbs more than a castiron headed 350)
Run some midsized turbos out of say a Cummins Deisel on either side of the block. Intercooler in front of the motor, and radiator in the back.
Tranny adapter to TH350 (Caddy has a BOP pattern)
Lovell 357 transfer case (Air shifted automatic)
No idea on axles, but ZF's hold up to monster trucks. No 1 ton axle will handle that, and a rockwell would be marginal.
Double bead locked 44 or 47. Or the new stickie 42 Iroks and buy 8 at a time.

Do some comp style setups on it. Winches mounted on the axles.

When I first read this there were no responses. I did not want to be the first to respond either. I just do not know what kind of driveline there could be that could hold up to that kind of power in the rocks and will survive. With that said I do not get why anyone would want that kind of power either. There are so many other things that money could be used on, I just do not get it.

As far as you building a comp buggy, I would love to see that. You have so much talent I know you could roll something out that would blow everyone away. You will get your opportunity to do it one day, I am sure.

2'' Overson narrowed Rocks F/R with every bling light thing Randy will make you. Dibble says they have some wicked stuff.

No other steer axle will survive in the rear with that kind of HP except some of those hybrid 9''/Mog 416 axles like Jason Berger had. That said, I dont like Portals for the wheeing you guys do.

Talk him into the new LS-9. That engine will smoke anything for powerband and smooth delivery. I understand Campbell has one of these in the works for Jason Scherer :eek:

Keep the chassis simple and sleek....2.5 coilovers.....the new 4l85 has a 4.0 first gear....Atlas 2.0.

One thing I have noticed about most of the East builds is the lack of visbility. Make the chassis low like you do, but make a beside-the-engine firewall and leave the footwells open so the driver can see something.

Aluminum big cube SBC supercharged Rocks of course some 1" heims super narrow chassis or Bob's on steroids the problem is I think it will be too big for comp riding but of course killer for the dirty south

This sounds like what I have been gathering parts for now for a year :eek:
If I could get all these damn customers out of the way maybe some day, or maybe me and Adam should just do one together cause
We both put our own stuff on the back burner... to much work no play :drinkers:

So here is the initial run down.

LS 7 aluminum engine block with a forged rotating Assembly, good heads, and a Whipple Root Style Supper Charger. Can be tuned from 600 to 800 with a pulley change. Should only weigh 440lbs when done. Thats 1.82hp. per pound BANGGIN

TCI Th 400. But I want to check on the trans Nolan suggested because Tim said he could use over drive every now and then

atlas 3.0

Rockwells with 2in. gun drilled axles, aluminum hubs, and Overson Pinion Brakes. Seriously Considering narrowing them

50in wide chassis

all 1 heim stuff

All aluminum interior

aluminum Links

Biggest Radiator I can Find!!!!!!!

Pretty much trying to build a rock well buggy with a strict diet.

Latest posts