• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to build?

Gun drilled axles are very common on 40 spline 9'' drag axles....

Woodlee, it can be done with that stuff if you use AL rims and 40's. Narrow those axles.

Motor sounds amazing......I saw the tranny listed as the one in the new Hummer H2 in the last Four Wheeler SUV of the year stats.

Woodlee said:
So here is the initial run down.

LS 7 aluminum engine block with a forged rotating Assembly, good heads, and a Whipple Root Style Supper Charger. Can be tuned from 600 to 800 with a pulley change. Should only weigh 440lbs when done. Thats 1.82hp. per pound BANGGIN

TCI Th 400. But I want to check on the trans Nolan suggested because Tim said he could use over drive every now and then

atlas 3.0

Rockwells with 2in. gun drilled axles, aluminum hubs, and Overson Pinion Brakes. Seriously Considering narrowing them

50in wide chassis

all 1 heim stuff

All aluminum interior

aluminum Links

Biggest Radiator I can Find!!!!!!!

Pretty much trying to build a rock well buggy with a strict diet.

Nice list Adam! Narrow the long side like they did on the Jim's Garage CJ Buggy so all the shafts are the same all the way around? Can you mowhak those rocks and run a 40" creepy? Don't know if there is enought ground clearance or not?

Why not rebuildable ends ? Or EVO's or summit machines ? Just curious ... Im in lust with rebuildable ends personally... laughing

Sounds like some crazy stuff... how can you ever hook up with 800HP drool ( who cares... with 800hp )

If that tranny is an option with the 4.0 first gear, you will have to bump the tcase down to the 2.0 Atlas.

I am thinking for what this is going to be built for, the high range 4 speed Atlas would be a good choice.

40s and a Mohawked Rockwell is a great combo.

What about an 8 lug/disc brake conversion on the Rocks? With that much motor, I would want the best brakes.

The LS-7 should be installed w/o the SC just as the guy learns to drive and then if he thinks he can use more motor, go to the SC.

wngrog said:
What about an 8 lug/disc brake conversion on the Rocks? With that much motor, I would want the best brakes.

The LS-7 should be installed w/o the SC just as the guy learns to drive and then if he thinks he can use more motor, go to the SC.

I would think the brake conversion would bring the suck on brakes. You lose that 6:72 rockwell braking ratio!

I had a pinion brake once on a Mog9 axle and they do work like a champ, but Patooee had a nice writup on how dangerous they can be on long downhills.....

If I do go with that trans then I will defiantly go with a 2.0 case.

I wanted to go that route with the blower but a blower motor needs to be around 8 to 1 compression and runs a diffrent cam that a naturally aspirated engine would. Then there is the fact of having to modify a engine cage because on either option it will have one. I agree that he would probably never want for any more that what a good built 427 cubic inch small block would provide, but I don't want to have to go back and cut up a hood and remake engine covers later or he take it to some one else and they really mess it up.

I am going to see what he thinks about the sticky tires but as expected he has his eye on 44 in supper Swamper TSL's.

What aluminum wheels are holding up. I know BigWoody swore them off and he has a pretty light buggy.

Walkers are tough as hell.....I have yet to hear of one breaking.

Just say no to swampers!!!!!

Woodlee said:
I thought that bigwoody broke one but I'm not 100% on that.

It was a POS TR.

I can't imagine needing anymore power from an ls7, then again I can't imagine buying a 15,000$ motor. I rather have 2 buggies.

Unless you do the 8 lug conversion, itmight be moot. I dont think WE does Rockwell pattern.

Dibble had some sweet AL rims built for his new buggy....I forgot what they are but I remember that the wheels plus the 49s were lighter than the cut puds and the steel wheels.

wow...that is one hell of list.

cant wait to see this thing start to come together.

what is that new 4 speed trans you speak of that has a 4.0 first gear?? 4L65?

Brian

I talked with Randy O. about the 8 lug conversion and I was looking at almost twice the money of pinion brakes and aluminum hubs. Plus it will be lighter with the Aluminum Hubs and pinion Brakes. I have never had the problems with the long down hills with any of the other rigs I have built. Just use first in the trans and it will be plenty slow enough.

Now I would really like to know who Dibble had build his wheels but they may be for the 8 lug conversion. I just don't want to be breaking wheels with it.

The walkers are cool but they don't offer a Rockwell pattern. What do you guys think about the new pision spyder wheels.

P. I am checking now with the rebuildable heims but the evo's only come with a 3/4 in bolt and I don't know about Summit. I know the bolt is not supposed to be used for any thing shear and only for clamping but for safety it will have a 1 " bolt through all of the links. Tim has had problems with his 3/4" bolts. I don't want them.

LUNCH said:
Woodlee i need me a new chassis!!! BUT my list is a little different thumb.gif

One using parts like whats in your chassis is exactly what I'm wanting to do. If your serious give me a call. I will be more than happy to hook you up.

Bones said:
I read somewhere that the Poison Spider wheels are made by KMC which is who MattO had big issues with.

I heard Clifton's inlaws own kmc, and that they make PS's wheels.

KMC does make the PoisonSpyder wheels, I would stay away, but then again Bailey runs them on the bruiser with no issues. It is a different design than the Enduro's I had, but KMC nontheless