• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheel base

fishinfool98

I know this is a loaded question but if you had a choice what would be an ideal wheel base for a cj8

105 to 124 anything in between

I've been running 106 on my YJ for a while and liked it but am currently pushing front 4 more for a 110. From what I have seen that seems to be a happy medium,

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.

Was 116 on some clapped out old 38's that measured more like 35 and loved it. Once I flatbellied the rig it never really hung up on anything and if it was one that I knew I would belly out on, I just gave it the gas and trusted my skid and sliders. Now its 122 on 42's and only about 4" taller so we will see. I prefer the longer wheelbase for climbs. Has always seemed way more stable and more predictable. Only one trail I have run that seems to hate the longer wheelbase trucks...the very last ledge at the exit of Lions Den at Harlan. Something in the 115-118 range on 39-40" tires seems about perfect for most trails in the Southeast.

Just my .02. Really depends on your driving style, where you wheel and how much lead u got in your boots.

there is a lot of factores in how to figure out what wheel base to run, tire size, driving style, driving experienc, trail difficulty that your planning to run. but for my preference longer is better

Re: Re: Wheel base

Tires either 42s or 44s
I'm going to suck the belly pan up as high as possible
Engine vortec 350 backed by a turbo 350. axles 60/14 transfer case is prob going be an atlas but just to get it rolling before memorial day run I'm going to throw in a 205.

I want the length of the 8 so bobbing it is out . But I have no problem moving the rear Axelrod back 12 inches and comp cutting the rear

I loved my long wheel base. 125inches, 42's, tbi 350 in a worn out s-10. It seem'd to work great, all you had to do is back up and mash on it. For a rig with low horse power wheel base is your friend in my opinion. The buggy that Randy Dillard is building me will have a 120 inch wheel base (long for a buggy) but just how I requested it.

I am shooting for as much belly clearance as possible.
I was thinking that If I can just have a flat belly. And tunnel it about 2 inches over stock . With moving my wheel wells I'm going to have 4 bucket seats with harnesses. And a fuel cell in th rear

aefc880d-1589-603c.jpg

111" with 21" FLAT belly and 75" to the top of the cage... on 38.5 SX's. Love the wheel base, it's stable as hell but my unshaved 14b doesn't like those 38.5" tires. I think some 42's would really set it off.

I ran 44's witha 127in wheel base and it was great on hills but sucked in trails. If I didnt have 4ws I would never run this long of wheel base. I just cut the back of my buggy and shortened it down to 114 and stepped down to 40in tires. It will be easier to wheel and more enjoyable in trails.

331015_2500831693662_1639035330_2395599_1744357703_o.jpg

I had a 4wd toyota buggy on 38's and 103 wheel base and I really liked it!

mayhem020709_010.JPG

In the end its all in what you want and like!

im kind of torn between comp cutting the rear and adding some sheet metal at the front of the factory fender well or
just open the fender well up 8 more inches towards the rear and finishing the shackle reversal in the front.
I would still like to keep the look of the 8 but then again its gonna have a dents and dings sooner or later

I've had 115 on 38.5's , 112 on 38.5's and 111-112 on 42's I really have liked all of these wheelbases, long enough to feel right on sketchy stuff but short enough that you don't feel like your wheeling a tow rig