• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winches

85b2man

ok so i called mile marker yesterday and gave them an ear full about my winch, and how it wont spool out. needless to say i got right to the top guy he is sapose to call me first thing today and see if we can resolve it so will see.

on the other hand if they still do the same bs saying ship it to us (Somewere round 200 dollars shipping round trip) i'm going to get a new winch i'm thinking a warn but what do you guys suggest

Warn, or Smitty---people seem to have good luck w/ 'em......Most will tell you Warn, and I would have to agree, although my MM 8K has worked flawlessly, SLOW AS HELL, but flawless...

Warn, or Smitty---people seem to have good luck w/ 'em......Most will tell you Warn, and I would have to agree, although my MM 8K has worked flawlessly, SLOW AS HELL, but flawless...
agreed, my MM has NEVER failed to work. and it just never stops pulling. but..its slow as molasses in the winter.

is it a new one? i had issues with mine..when i first got it. i thought it was the controller..co i cut it in half, to check the contacts, it was fine. pulled the cover off the solenoids..there was a loose, or broken wire. i just put a new end on it, its been fine since. like 4-5 yrs now.

so..if u dont send it back, and decide to buy a new one..how much for ur MM?:corn:

You probably got water in it, My winch did the same thing, I took it apart and cleaned it good, then replaced the brushes, it cost me somewhere around $50 for the new brushes, and then sealed it good, it hasn't let me down since. As long as you maintain the motor most winches will last quite a while. If you are going to buy a new winch, get a warn, they are the most common for a reason.

For $300 my Harbor Freight POS has never let me down, and I have used and abused the crap out of it. It is rediculously slow which sucks but for what it cost its great.

Dust and water get into the motor, then the freeze hits them and breaks all the magnets loose. If you don't have permanent magnets on the motor you should pull it off once a year and clean all the junk out. Just to be on the safe side.

I have a Superwinch, worked fine until the last TTCW when a control wire melted to a solenoid and locked the winch on. Slow as all get out, but it kept working. :D

:haha: yeah right
yeah i know for real i am just dreaming

agreed, my MM has NEVER failed to work. and it just never stops pulling. but..its slow as molasses in the winter.

is it a new one? i had issues with mine..when i first got it. i thought it was the controller..co i cut it in half, to check the contacts, it was fine. pulled the cover off the solenoids..there was a loose, or broken wire. i just put a new end on it, its been fine since. like 4-5 yrs now.

so..if u dont send it back, and decide to buy a new one..how much for ur MM?:corn:

its around 200 bucks shipping i have to foot the bill it has to go to florida or some bs thats why i want to cut my losses.
it works just fine to run it in and out engaged but i know thats not the best to run out a winch 100 feet engaged **** gets hot.

yes it has done this since new it will not freespool worth **** ask hotrod:fawkdancesmiley: i was told it was just tight and would have to break in but its just gotten tighter. i have had it apart many time cleaned checked the brake make sure its not binding the problem is in free spool the gears are still partialy engaged.

its around 200 bucks shipping i have to foot the bill it has to go to florida or some bs thats why i want to cut my losses.
it works just fine to run it in and out engaged but i know thats not the best to run out a winch 100 feet engaged **** gets hot.

yes it has done this since new it will not freespool worth **** ask hotrod:fawkdancesmiley: i was told it was just tight and would have to break in but its just gotten tighter. i have had it apart many time cleaned checked the brake make sure its not binding the problem is in free spool the gears are still partialy engaged.
ah..no free spool. gotcha. mines a bitch too. i bent the drum slightly after i first got it. so its got a tight spot...its not impossible, but it is hard. i deal.....

$200 to ship a winch? What does it weigh a couple hundred pounds? I would think it would be about $50 max

$200 to ship a winch? What does it weigh a couple hundred pounds? I would think it would be about $50 max
apparently you havent shipped anything recently.
from WA to FL, shipping a small item is pretty expensive. i imagine what a heavy, oversized package, with INS included im sure, would be expensive.

fuel prices are down, but all the extra charges they added on when it was high are still there.

they called me :D the problem is so stupid and the fix is super easy.
i will explain it so if anyone else has this problem here is what you do

l_beff44196f6c4232b880ab5f104774e8.jpg

ok so you take the gear housing off the winch aka were the lever is
take the gears out of part 11, take the little allen out holding the lever in and pull the lever out, pull part 21 out, clean parts 11 and 21 super well so there is no grease.
now take some wd40 and coat the out side of part 21 with a light film, then spray some in part 11 were the outside of 21 touches it. re assemble:fawkdancesmiley:make sure you put grease on the gears tho.
the problem is the tolerance between the parts 21 and 11 is so tight that when you ad grease there is too much friction.

Has anyone actually run the TMax winches recently? I've been on the prowl for a 12k winch for a while, but keep vascilating on the brand/model.

A friend of mine has the same MM as me, it came with his truck and was not working one winter after sitting for awile. He took it apart and cleaned it and still nothing. He called MM and they told him to send in just the motor (30$shipping). he sent it in and a few weeks later they sent it back rebuilt with all new brushes, etc. IT WAS FREE, they said thanks for using thier product and sent a few stickers back with it. He hadnt even bought the thing, it came with the truck. Both mine and his are REAL SLOW, but work great!!:awesomework:

apparently you havent shipped anything recently.
from WA to FL, shipping a small item is pretty expensive. i imagine what a heavy, oversized package, with INS included im sure, would be expensive.

fuel prices are down, but all the extra charges they added on when it was high are still there.

I work in a shipping dept. :;

Actually just looked up the zip...my cost is $40 from WA to FL ground shipping

Last edited: