• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WTF is wrong with my washing machine??????????

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
My washing machine has been fawked up for going on a month now, so I've been doing laundry at the parent's house in the meantime. I am deadset and detirmined to fix this thing myself and am curious if any of you could shed any light on what may be the problem, as I'm sure there's plenty of you out there that have had various washing machine issues at home and fixed them yourself. It makes no sense to me to buy a new one if this one can be fixed for 1/4 or less of the price. It's a Kenmore 80 series super capacity.

First off I done some Youtube searching and found that the transmission coupler goes bad alot in these Kenmore washers and is only $16 to replace. Tore it apart, transmission coupler is fine, so I put it back together.

Next, I also found that the clutch band could be the problem, so I tore it down, bought a new clutch band kit for $30, replaced that, put it back together, still the same problem.

There are no belts or anything as this is a direct drive washer. I put two dirty bath towels in it (light load) after replacing the clutch band, started it, and it went through all cycles fine, but with a normal load in it, it stops and does this when it's supposed to spin. It agitates fine and I've had all the agitator parts out of it and they all seem fine as well. My only other guesses is something to do with the motor about to burn up maybe? Or something in the switch itself? And while it's making this noise, keep in mind as far as I can tell nothing in the washer is turning or trying to spin. The more I mess with it turning it on and off while it's making this noise trying to get it to spin, the noise gets weaker. I made this video after the washer had set for at least 2 hours after first stopping on spin cycle and stalling out...so the noise sounds stronger (another reason I'm thinking it has to do with the motor.) That click you hear toward the end of the video is the automatic safety cutoff, have to wait awhile for it to reset after it does that before it will do anything else. What do yall think????

Kenmore 80 series washer won't spin.

I had a Kenmore do the same, just takes a crap during spin cycle. You could spin it around with your hand sometimes, and it would start spinning when you dropped the lid.
Finally just replaced it.

JohnG said:
Yep, it sounds fuked to me. :flipoff1:

Steele3 said:
I had a Kenmore do the same, just takes a crap during spin cycle. You could spin it around with your hand sometimes, and it would start spinning when you dropped the lid.
Finally just replaced it.

Yup it's def fukked molaugh But there is a single problem somewhere that likely can be fixed for a fraction of what a new one costs. Before I bought this one, the water level sensor went out on my old one, and not knowing anything about washers and too lazy to fawk with it, I just went ahead and bought this one. I sold my other one to a used appliance store for $20, they prolly spent $10-$20 on it, put a new water level sensor in it, and turned around and sold it for $200+. Same thing with this one, I can fix it, just gotta figure out what's wrong with it. These are simple appliances, it's just a matter of pinpointing the problem with my limited knowledge.

On another note, my other one was a Kenmore also, maybe it's time to switch brands molaugh

I had the same washer.... After fixing various issues with it for a few years, the drum finally cracked and started leaking...

I bought $350 Roper washer new from Lowes.

It washes better and is quieter.

Haul that bitch off for scrap and go spend $75 for a preowned unit on Craigslist you cheap :afro:

Drive your ass to bham and I'll give you mine. I got a newer one in the garage that I need to put in anyways.

It's more the principal that I don't wanna admit I can't fix it now than the cost lol. Hell I may end up just getting a new one. This one was a used refurb I bought at the local used appliance store about 2 years ago. It's been a good one until now. Since I bought it from them, I'm gonna go by there one day and ask them what they think about it, they seem pretty straight forward there so maybe since I bought it there they'll be more willing to help me fix it, especially with the potential parts purchase I could make from them if they can pinpoint the problem for me....but who knows.

bamatoy said:
Sounds like it could be The start capacitor.

Now there's something new worth checking into. I haven't came across anything about a start capacitor while researching on the interwebs. If that's not it, maybe it's the flux capacitor :flipoff1:

bamatoy said:
Sounds like it could be The start capacitor.

Sounds like you might be right! And it's only about a $25 fix. Gonna go to the appliance store for hopefully a good 2nd opinion from an "expert" and maybe that'll be the problem. Found this info below on the web, and it seems to fit the bill.

"The start capacitor on a washing machine motor gets the motor up to speed quickly before transferring power to the run capacitor. When the start capacitor fails, the temptation is to replace the motor because it will hum, but it won't turn. Before considering the costly decision of replacing a motor, test the start capacitor to see if that's the problem."

bad80cj said:
JD you got to much time on your hands. :****:
Get a lowes card. Make 0 percent interest payments for a year on a new one. Blow that one up/ shoot it, or push it off a cliff and video so we can enjoy.

BUG-E J said:
Get a lowes card. Make 0 percent interest payments for a year on a new one. Blow that one up/ shoot it, or push it off a cliff and video so we can enjoy.

Thread winner :popcorn:

BUG-E J said:
Put 15 pounds of tannerite in it, shoot it, video and post here.