• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota 3.0 V6 Junk?

NotSoPC

Ok so I have heard from some people that the Toyota 3.0 V6 is junk. I am looking to get an 85 to 88 4Runner for the family as a DD for now and a trail rig down the road a few years. I like the 22RE but like that the V6 trucks have the stronger rear end and 23 spline t-cases. I want a five speed so as to have the gear driven t-case. What do you think about the V6? Would it work for me as a rig to drive daily and make trips to Idaho a few times a year and some light messin around on fire roads? Would flat towing my Zook kill it? Would love some input on this. Thanx:awesomework:

Yes, the 3.0 is junk! When they **** the bed they are more trouble and money than they're worth. Yes the V6 trucks have a stronger rear 3rd but alot of us have put the V6 diff in the front w/sas and run a 4cyl in the rear with little problem. I wouldn't let that influence you much since you could always find a diff if needed. Also, I thought all the 3.0 trucks had the chain drive Tcase. Mine had the stock R150 5sp w/ a AA adapter to 21spl 4cyl case.

ive got the 3.0 v6 in my 95 four runner, its got 210K miles & stilll running strong. I think the motor is lacking quiet a bit of power & holy **** they crammed that motor in there:redneck:

I run the 3.0 with a TG adaptor to a 23 sp chain drive

I like it but know that when it has problems it is gone for a 4.3

The 3.0 v6 is either a good motor or junk. The ones that have been taken care of and not had work done to them can be good. If they have had any issues then they are going to continue to have serious issues.

I belive the max tow rating is 2500 lbs and that is going to be a slow trip.

85 4runner 22re solid front axle - highly sought after.

86 to 89 Ifs but a wider rear end to match.

All v6s have a chain drive tcase.

If you want the stronger rear end then swap in a v6. Its a bolt in aplication.

Both the v6 and the 22re are slow and underpowered.

Been looking around and I find allot of 3.0's. I would much rather have the 22RE 5spd. In a few years when I have hit my max pay rate I will buy a full size truck like a Cummins or Powerstroke but a runner will serve as DD till then. After it is no longer the DD then it will get a Vortec 4.3 SAS with a three link and maybe a 37 to 39" tire. I just need a rig to drive to work and what not that I can put my son in.

Hey bud, ill keep my eyes n ears open, I know there are a few running around lewis/mcchord right now...and believe me, most military members are car dumb.

The 3.0 v6 is either a good motor or junk. The ones that have been taken care of and not had work done to them can be good. If they have had any issues then they are going to continue to have serious issues.

I belive the max tow rating is 2500 lbs and that is going to be a slow trip.

85 4runner 22re solid front axle - highly sought after.

86 to 89 Ifs but a wider rear end to match.

All v6s have a chain drive tcase.

If you want the stronger rear end then swap in a v6. Its a bolt in aplication.

Both the v6 and the 22re are slow and underpowered.

So that goes for the 5spd's as well? For some reason I was thinking all 5spd's came with the gear drive unit.:scratchhead:

What about the 2nd gen runners? I really want to stay away from the coil rear but the early 90's ones seem like a good rig. Seen some that have been SASed and they really look killer. Anyone have good or bad to say about them?:corn:

Dump the whole rear suspension and go with leafs. As much as a absolutely hate chevy springs they work fawking sweet on the back of those runners with all their weight.

If you want to know about that coil link setup talk to notstock, he's the hardest on that suspension without being a throttle jockey douchebag that you'll find and he has lots to say about it. :;

As far as the transfer case all V6 no matter of trans had chain driven cases.

Ya I was just looking at some builds over on Marlin Crawler and saw that. I have never had to deal with them. I know nothin about the rear coil set up they used.
It is junk, links to short and all the brackets are made of to thin a materal for four wheeling, works fine for DD as long as you do not lift it.