• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zero Turn mowers

Jonesn

In need of a new mower soon. My 48" Exmark walk behind is rusting to pieces.

Don't really know what I'm looking at when it comes to the new mowers. Brands, engines, features to stay away from? Don't want to spend a ton, as it is only used for about an acre once a week or so. $4k or less.

Check out Hustler. I have a Raptor SD and am fairly happy. I keep trying to compare it to the Super Z to be that my brother and dad has. 54" deck and 23HP Kawasaki for 3800 bones. I say fairly happy but I don't think you'll find a better mower for the price. Just hard to get off a 13k mower to this and not want it to do more.

I say anything commercial grade. Dad has a 48" commercial Huqvarna he bought new in 01 or 02 and all it has ever needed other than the usual stuff (belt, battery, tires) is the switch for the PTO. it has a 17hp Kawasaki engine also. We also have a bigger Dixie Chopper. It rides better but doesn't cut as good. Never had an issue with it either, think we got it in 05.

It's hard to beat a Toro, but they're high. I'd go commercial grade for sure and for that price range the Gravely's are a solid commercial grade mower for a reasonable price.

Toddy said:
Check out Hustler. I have a Raptor SD and am fairly happy. I keep trying to compare it to the Super Z to be that my brother and dad has. 54" deck and 23HP Kawasaki for 3800 bones. I say fairly happy but I don't think you'll find a better mower for the price. Just hard to get off a 13k mower to this and not want it to do more.

I bought this same mower this year. Extremely happy with it so far. I will be the first to say This is my first zero turn and it is nice.

I like my toro time cutter 50". Stamped deck. 24hp kawi. Something about the deck design....not sure, but it doesn't clump wet grass like the neighbors high dollar mower. Or the other neighbors gravely. Spreads it out nice and even, doesn't matter how high it is most of the time. I mow about 2.5 acres every 5 days.

Bought a Hustler Raptor 60" this spring. Very happy with it so far.

It's not as solid as the older Hustler it replaced but nothing newer is anymore. Everybody is cutting back to save money now a days

Thanks for all the input. Looking hard at the Hustler zero turns. Looks like there is a dealer less than 10 miles from the house, so going to check them out later this week.

Thinking 48-52" deck should be all I need. Seems to me like a 60" would be a lot more cumbersome to try to get around/into trees and decks. Keep hearing that Kawasaki is the motor to get right now.

Jonesn said:
Thanks for all the input. Looking hard at the Hustler zero turns. Looks like there is a dealer less than 10 miles from the house, so going to check them out later this week.

Thinking 48-52" deck should be all I need. Seems to me like a 60" would be a lot more cumbersome to try to get around/into trees and decks. Keep hearing that Kawasaki is the motor to get right now.

If you only have an acre the 60 would get it done in about 15 minutes. I have a john deere 54" deck with the kawasaki 27 hp motor. It's a nice machine. I can mow 2.5 acres with a fair amount of obstacles to go around in an hour and a half. Don't buy the ones you can get at lowe's. All the mower's listed are good options though.

If you want to save money look for used commercial mowers. I got a toro ground master 72" cut cheap ($800) it does a great job and it's easy to work on, pulse the commercials are heavy duty and you can put a lot of hours on them. Mine had about 4200 hours when I got it and it still does great

the grasshopper i had was heavier duty parts made (lasted 17 years mowing 3 acres ) ,, but the exmark is way faster and has a better motor,, but we will see how long it last (bearings and such) but i like it !